Draft pick may be a battle between Nix and Gailey

Madd Charlie

My guess is that it comes down to a battle between Nix and Gailey. Gailey will ask for more offensive weapons and want to take AJ Green and Nix and his assistant from Pittsburgh will want to follow the Pittsburgh model and strengthen the defensive line and linebackers and take Bowers from Clemson. Looks like Gailey won last year with Spiller and the jury is still out on that pick so expect Nix and company to win this year.Da'Quan Bowers is the pick second option Nick Fairley. We came into this season seriously expecting to be the best pass defense in the league so corner most likely wont be the pick. Pass rush will make those guys much better.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree. It appears Nix and Gailey are on the same page wrt the draft, at least this past year. And while Gailey may be an offensive coach, he knows his defense is losing a lot of games for him, so taking the big name WR won't cure that problem. Offensively the Bills are mediocre, but on defense it's a complete cluster. They don't know if they're a 43 or 34, can't stop the run, and have surrendered 30+ 8 times this season.

The real battle will be between Nix/Gailey and the suits. The latter know the team has no drawing card in 2011 and it'll be a challenge to sell 40k season tickets. Needless to say, that's where the real battle will be waged.

My guess is that it comes down to a battle between Nix and Gailey. Gailey will ask for more offensive weapons and want to take AJ Green and Nix and his assistant from Pittsburgh will want to follow the Pittsburgh model and strengthen the defensive line and linebackers and take Bowers from Clemson. Looks like Gailey won last year with Spiller and the jury is still out on that pick so expect Nix and company to win this year.Da'Quan Bowers is the pick second option Nick Fairley. We came into this season seriously expecting to be the best pass defense in the league so corner most likely wont be the pick. Pass rush will make those guys much better.

I could be way off base and I hope I am: don't discount the "business" aspect which IMO is effective on the Bills to the detriment of football quality.

Make an offseason move to bring in a "name" with some "sizzle" to give the fans a reason to "Billieve", that won't necessarily improve the team very much.

The TO signing in 2009 seemed like Exhibit A of that ilk. We needed TO like teats on a Boar hog.

(Maybe the FO got it mixed: OH! You wanted an O.T., not TO! SorrrE!)

The Spiller pick in 2010, more on the fence. I still think he's got the potential to be a shining star in the NFL. Will he grow into that?

Maybe we truly didn't think enough of the DE, LB, and OT available at that pick and saw him as BPA. (How is Tyson Alualu doing?)

Maybe it was a Ralph/FO business gimmick to build fan excitement "It's Spiller Time Buffalo!". Whaddaya know it worked on me.

I would be really surprised if Chan and Nix aren't on the same page, or will evaluate the season and by draft time, be there on the same page.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do something that leaves the fans and the pundits scratching their heads (like drafting a WR) either.

I'm still on the fence 1/2 like what I see, 1/2 "WTF?"land

I could be way off base and I hope I am: don't discount the "business" aspect which IMO is effective on the Bills to the detriment of football quality.

Make an offseason move to bring in a "name" with some "sizzle" to give the fans a reason to "Billieve", that won't necessarily improve the team very much.

The TO signing in 2009 seemed like Exhibit A of that ilk. We needed TO like teats on a Boar hog.

(Maybe the FO got it mixed: OH! You wanted an O.T., not TO! SorrrE!)

The Spiller pick in 2010, more on the fence. I still think he's got the potential to be a shining star in the NFL. Will he grow into that?

Maybe we truly didn't think enough of the DE, LB, and OT available at that pick and saw him as BPA. (How is Tyson Alualu doing?)

Maybe it was a Ralph/FO business gimmick to build fan excitement "It's Spiller Time Buffalo!". Whaddaya know it worked on me.

I would be really surprised if Chan and Nix aren't on the same page, or will evaluate the season and by draft time, be there on the same page.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do something that leaves the fans and the pundits scratching their heads (like drafting a WR) either.

I'm still on the fence 1/2 like what I see, 1/2 "WTF?"land

Thats funny it worked on me as well to the extent that I created a Spiller vs. Barry Sanders thread here. How funny that is too me now lol. Im tired of all the short term marketing based crap going on at 1 Bills drive. Lets face it Ralph nor Nix or Gailey are going to be around forever and they all have alot to prove. Im hoping that they are actually building a team and not just sucking us dry (for lack of a better term) for our hard earned ticket money. The last draft other than Spiller look like long and short term projects ie. Carrington, Easly and Troupe. I hope that means that they actually have a long term plan.

The more I read about and watch Bowers, the more I want this kid lining up for our defense. The guy is a frickin monster! As much as I love it when we have a productive offense, I like it even more when we have a stout, dominating defense.

Came in seriously expecting to be the best pass defense in the league?!?!?! Are you for freaking real??? If anything this season showed what a bunch of pretenders this secondary is. If we had an above average front 7 we could probably get by with them but they are not even a strength on our team, never mind one of the best in the league. Anyways, I'm for a Bowers 1a, Mallet 1b followed by Fairley and Quinn.

Nix, Gailey, and everyone else will use the team's first round draft pick on the best player available, regardless of position.

Yup.

With the caveat that "best player available" has to be in some context. If the player simply isn't right for your team, he's not the best player available for you. And, if there are two players who you have very closely ranked available, you probably take the one that fills the biggest hole on your team.

Part of the problem is people don't understand (or at least acknowledge) every team has a draft board ranking the available players. These players are ranked with the team's needs in mind, but mostly driven by the quality of the player. "Best player available" typically means the player that was highest on that team's board. Sometimes a team has a player ranked so far above the next available player, it is a no-brainer in their eyes who to draft. Fans get pissed when the team drafts that player instead of another they think better fills a need.

Have you watched Nick Fairley? Cheap shot artist to the max, he is not a player I would like to see in Buffalo.. He makes Albert Haynesworth look like a cub scout..

My question would be how do they come to a consensus on who the best player is? Between all the scouts, the coach, the general manager, assistant gm, and the owner ect. Someone has to have the last word

Depends on the management structure of the team. Some teams, like some companies, have a strong top-down structure. That's great if the guy at the top is top notch. OTOH, you can go down in flames very quickly.

A more team/consensus style of management tends to help protect against huge problems. It also can slow down a turn-around.

IMO, more teams (and more companies) are moving to team/consensus oriented approaches. They tend to be more effective over time. Of course, if you have a Bill Belicheat* you let him make the decisions. But there just aren't that many guys that can autocratically run a successful team.

As to who makes the final decisions for the Bills when there is significant disagreement, we just don't know.

Clearly Tom Donahoe did when he was here (much to the Bills' detriment). After that (during the Levy/Brandon eras) it was hard to say exactly who made the final decisions when there was controversy. What many who have never worked with a true team management approach don't understand, is there are many ways to make a final decision. One usually considers who is most passionate about their choice, their reasons, etc. If the team is well-oiled, there is much disagreement and discussion, but in the end a group choice typically happens without a clear decider.

There are tales that Ralph influences some decisions. (How many and which ones we really don't know for sure.)

But I would guess that Buddy is the guy right now. Of course Buddy is smart enough to take his HC's input VERY seriously.

Yup.

With the caveat that "best player available" has to be in some context. If the player simply isn't right for your team, he's not the best player available for you. And, if there are two players who you have very closely ranked available, you probably take the one that fills the biggest hole on your team.

Part of the problem is people don't understand (or at least acknowledge) every team has a draft board ranking the available players. These players are ranked with the team's needs in mind, but mostly driven by the quality of the player. "Best player available" typically means the player that was highest on that team's board. Sometimes a team has a player ranked so far above the next available player, it is a no-brainer in their eyes who to draft. Fans get pissed when the team drafts that player instead of another they think better fills a need.

Spiller filled no need that I can see.

Spiller filled no need that I can see.

May I suggest glasses?

No, seriously, I think Chan wants a multi-purpose weapon on offense. Fred is a nice back, but he isn't a home-run threat nor is he a long ball receiving threat. While CJ hasn't shown what many thought he could do, he can do things Fred simply isn't able to do. Fred is also 30. If Chan is looking at building a team that will be successful for years, it's easy to see what role Spiller fills, IMO.

To see the need you have to see it through the FO's eyes AND you have to look past the next year or two.

You forgot one key element, and that is both of their's boss, Mr. Wilson.

And that man, who rarely comments publicly about the team, said getting a franchise QB was the top priority in the offseason. Granted RW's statements were before Fitz hit his stride this season and put up decent numbers.

I feel all your pain, i really do. But i truly doubt that 1st pick in april will be anyone you all hope for. There's another thread on the front page right now suggesting we might take a CB. I personally don't think that will happen (if it does, bill from nyc's head will explode) but dont be alarmed if they end up taking someone like AJ Green or Cam Newton.

If Newton blows up at the combine or at his personal workout, buffalo will take him. RW will demand it.

I would prefer Fairley btw