I understand teams run propaganda machines

sullim4

Ryan Fitzpatrick arguably had the worst game of his career yesterday. Of course, I had the pleasure of witnessing it in person, waking up at 2AM to drive from downstate (where I was visiting my folks) to beat the storm.

Yet I hear the PA announcer say "Congratulations Ryan!" in the 4th quarter of yesterday's game, celebrating his feat of surpassing the 3,000 yard passing mark this season. Was anyone else peeved about this? Seeing your team getting the snot beaten out of them, much of it due to the 3 interceptions Fitz threw and the 2 fumbles he gave away. And yet we congratulate him? I know we are gullible SOBs for our continued support for this team, but do they really take us to be that stupid?

For the record, they also congratulated Stevie Johnson on getting 1,000 yards receiving. I wasn't happy about this but at least SJ didn't directly contribute to the loss through exceptionally poor play.

You have a problem with the PA announcer congratulating a player on a season's worth of work based on the score of only one of those 15 games?

Yes, I do. I'm starting to understand the portion of the fanbase that's fed up with the management of the team.

Ryan Fitzpatrick arguably had the worst game of his career yesterday. Of course, I had the pleasure of witnessing it in person, waking up at 2AM to drive from downstate (where I was visiting my folks) to beat the storm.

Yet I hear the PA announcer say "Congratulations Ryan!" in the 4th quarter of yesterday's game, celebrating his feat of surpassing the 3,000 yard passing mark this season. Was anyone else peeved about this? Seeing your team getting the snot beaten out of them, much of it due to the 3 interceptions Fitz threw and the 2 fumbles he gave away. And yet we congratulate him? I know we are gullible SOBs for our continued support for this team, but do they really take us to be that stupid?

For the record, they also congratulated Stevie Johnson on getting 1,000 yards receiving. I wasn't happy about this but at least SJ didn't directly contribute to the loss through exceptionally poor play.

Personally, if I were the announcer - I would have ordered a public Code Red on Fitz's ass. Seems fitting for a person who plays a game for our entertainment.

Yes, I do. I'm starting to understand the portion of the fanbase that's fed up with the management of the team.

But how is the management of the team and comments of the announcer related? Or do you really think Buddy Nix will take this comment into account when evaluating the roster at season's end?

But how is the management of the team and comments of the announcer related? Or do you really think Buddy Nix will take this comment into account when evaluating the roster at season's end?

Of course they are directly related. Who do you think handed the guy the script of what to say? Who made the signage that went up on the scoreboard? There is a time and a place for this. That time was not with 5 mins left in the 4th quarter after your fans witnessed a beatdown by a team that's beaten you 15 straight times and after you've been out in the cold for 5 hours.

Nix didn't have anything to do with i t, but you can be damn sure Russ Brandon did. The fact is that this team has been focusing more on hyping a mediocre product rather than fixing the problems that have been plaguing this franchise for over a decade.

Of course they are directly related. Who do you think handed the guy the script of what to say? Who made the signage that went up on the scoreboard? There is a time and a place for this. That time was not with 5 mins left in the 4th quarter after your fans witnessed a beatdown by a team that's beaten you 15 straight times and after you've been out in the cold for 5 hours.

Nix didn't have anything to do with i t, but you can be damn sure Russ Brandon did. The fact is that this team has been focusing more on hyping a mediocre product rather than fixing the problems that have been plaguing this franchise for over a decade.

It was a simple congrats to a journeyman backup getting to 3,000yds. Goebbels was not involved.

Doesn't this happen all the time in football? A player reaches a milestone and it's announced so the fans at least know about it. It's not propaganda, it's just stating facts...

Also, if not when fans are in the stadium for the last game of the year, when IS the time and place for the announcement? Today? I guess if it were loud enough Hammer could report the PA announcement to us. o_O

Edited by Heitz

Yes we should not congratulate players for the accomplishments they have done during the season because they are getting beat badly by the best team in t he league....yep

They have congratulated players before for career or season records during games the Bills are losing. I know it is hard to believe, but Brandon had nothing to do with those. I am sure the organization has set numbers for congratulations and Fitzy hit the number so the guy watching the stats told the guy with the microphone.

Maybe they should have waited for next week and if everything was going OK they could have asked the Jets PA guy to announce it.

Dude, it was the home fans' last chance to show any appreciation for a guy who for all intents and purposes gave us his best and made this season bearable. I understand the context and it came during an awful, awful game. That doesn't change the fact that Fitz gives this team more hope for the future, whether it's as caretaker and mentor as the next young QB arrives, or if he matures even further into the role of leader of this team.

Maintain some perspective. This game is for fun, even if the Bills do their level best to contradict that cause at times.

I have no problem with them announcing it over the PA at the time the player passes the milestone. This is not some evil plot by Brandon. ALL teams do this. Winning or losing. Good or bad. When a player passes a major milestone, you acknowledge it.

I DO have a problem with Stevie posting a link to the article about his 1000 yards on his Facebook yesterday, so all of his family and friends can tell him how great he is, the day after getting mud-stomped by our (current) fiercest division rival.

It's kind of sad that we cheer Fitzpatrick. It's only because we had to deal with Edwards and Losman before him.

He plays his heart out, and I love how he can read a defense. But dammit, he makes some really stupid throws and can't hold on to the ball.

He's 19th in QB rating, 28th in pass completion, thrown 8th most INTs (in two less games!), etc. If we had a culture of success, we would be booing such a player. But since we have a culture of failures, we cheer such a player.

Relativity.

Ya need to lighten up, buddy. Its a football game.

It's kind of sad that we cheer Fitzpatrick. It's only because we had to deal with Edwards and Losman before him.

He plays his heart out, and I love how he can read a defense. But dammit, he makes some really stupid throws and can't hold on to the ball.

He's 19th in QB rating, 28th in pass completion, thrown 8th most INTs (in two less games!), etc. If we had a culture of success, we would be booing such a player. But since we have a culture of failures, we cheer such a player.

Relativity.

And Jim Kelly and Dan Marino were sitting home watching Trent Dilfer get a ring.

Relativity.

If all you want is perfect stats, go play Madden.