Eagles/ Giants

Simon

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was funny that Coughlin went after punter Matt Dodge. Like he failed to cover anyone, even after Jackson muffed the punt, or allowed all those 4th quarter points.

He was yelling at him because he didn't punt it OB like he was supposed to.

That could be the 8 minutes that brings Bill Cowher to NY.

I just can't see how anyone puts that on the punter not the coach - as if he makes the judgement call and they don't get direction and coverage called in from the sideline...

I'm guessing he was told to punt it out and Coughlin was part of that decision-making process before the fact.

I just can't see how anyone puts that on the punter not the coach - as if he makes the judgement call and they don't get direction and coverage called in from the sideline...

It was called a directional kick to the sidelines. Coughlin went right over to Dodge and ripped him a new one for about 5 min. Punters job is to punt the ball wher he is told. If he says to punt it out of bounds i dont care if it is a 20 yd ount, you kick it out of bounds.

Plus it was line drive kick theat gave Desean Jackson time to fumble the ball pick it back up and still score.

I just can't see how anyone puts that on the coach and not the punter - as if the coach didn't tell the punter to punt it out of bounds.

He was yelling at him because he didn't punt it OB like he was supposed to.

That could be the 8 minutes that brings Bill Cowher to NY.

I think it was Aikman who spent a good 30 seconds talking about how Coughlin didn't want to have Dodge directional kicking at this (early) stage of his career because it was too much for him. And ultimately the coverage guys had their shot at Jackson. It wasn't like he out-kicked the coverage.

In fairness to the punter, the snap wasn't the best, so he's taking a bad snap deep in his own end, he's a rookie, at that point, all he's thinking is kick it FAST, and not thinking too much of where he's supposed to kick it. Jackson even dropped it, no one was able to tackle him?? I'd put the blame more on the other ten guys,

I'm pretty sure the special teams coach and Coughlin told him to kick it out of bounds and that's what Coughlin was calming reminding him after the game.