Squish the Fish!!!

cage

Smelly rotten fish poll...  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most hated Dolphin of all time?

• Dan Marino
    • Jimmy Johnson
    • Brian Cox
    • Don Shula
    • Zach Thomas
    • Larry Csonka
    • Bill Parcells
    • Someone else...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one of ralph's major blunders was his insisting that we stay in the AFC east strictly because of the 'fins rivalry. should have gone to the north... how great would it be playing against the steelers, ravens and browns 2x year? serious new rivalries could have been created that made sense. instead we go to Toronto. nice play.

you're far too polite... i'd have ended it with:

"Even with all these setbacks, I fully expect the Bills will destroy your pathetic porpoises, mince them up, and put them in a can of tuna. We will then open that can of tuna, add some mayo, mustard, minced celery and onions, and make a salad. We will eat the salad. That salad was your hope of making the playoffs. It was delicious."

That's pretty funny.....

"Even with all these setbacks, I fully expect the Bills will destroy your pathetic porpoises, mince them up, and put them in a can of tuna. We will then open that can of tuna, add some mayo, mustard, minced celery and onions, and make a salad. We will eat the salad. That salad was your hope of making the playoffs. It was delicious."

"We will then go to the bathroom and put the toilet seat down…sit upon the toilet…"

I think there's a few things to consider:

The 0 for the 70's was 30-40 years ago. Most, or certainly a large portion, of the posters here probably weren't alive that long ago. So, the hatred from that time tends to fade. Especially when you consider many of the younger fans grew up n the 90's when the Bills regularly beat the Fish. Furthermore, the younger generation of Bills fans have their own streak of futility... against the Pats*. Beating the Pats* only one time in the last decade has given many fans a new favorite team to hate. Add to it the fact that the Fins haven't really been that good of a team for the last 10 years (nor have the Bills), and you get general apathy.

So, yeah, the passion for squishin some fish is dwindling with each year of sucktitude and with each each Pat* win over the Bills.

For me, the player and coaching changes, the decade plus of Bills futility and the mediocre state of the dolphins all had something to do with my decline in excitment for the rivalry, but oddly I think it's the schedule that took the rest of the air out of my balloon. There was always something great about the Bills having to go down to Miami and try to beat the heat early in the season, knowing that we'd get the fish up here in a blizzard in December. It really made the difference between the two cities stand out and added a great dimension to the games.

The 0 for the 70's was 30-40 years ago. Most, or certainly a large portion, of the posters here probably weren't alive that long ago. So, the hatred from that time tends to fade. Especially when you consider many of the younger fans grew up n the 90's when the Bills regularly beat the Fish. Furthermore, the younger generation of Bills fans have their own streak of futility... against the Pats*. Beating the Pats* only one time in the last decade has given many fans a new favorite team to hate. Add to it the fact that the Fins haven't really been that good of a team for the last 10 years (nor have the Bills), and you get general apathy.

So, yeah, the passion for squishin some fish is dwindling with each year of sucktitude and with each each Pat* win over the Bills.

Exactly. While I have no love for any of our AFC East teams, thinking that Miami is our main rival because of stuff more than 30 years ago is like hating the Germans for WWII. Time marches on and you get new enemies - like Iran and the Pats*.

:thumbsup:

Posted this in Miami

rom: BillsFanSez 9:54 am

To: ALL (1 of 1)

Greetings,We meet again. As you know, we are stuck in a rebuilding mode, and are mired in the basement of the AFC East. Normally it's hard to enjoy watching a last place team, but not this time. We are lacking talent in many levels of the game, but the effort our team has given us made this a special season. We have been handicapped by an enormous pattern of injuries, but for a team that played to an 0-8 start, and never gave up the fight, we have come to fight and scratch for every yard.

The Bills played only 2 games where they were completely outplayed, those being against the Jets and the Vikings. Baltimore, K.C. and Pittsburgh were overtime losses, and Chicago squeezed out a 1 point win in the last minutes of the game.

For the Bills, this has been a learning process. They are converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense, and have severed ties with their starting QB, Trent Edwards. That became the beginning of of the new beginning. Sunday, we will be starting 2 new WR's, both are rookie free agents. Our lone veteran WR is Stevie Johnson, a 3 year player that almost never played until this year. He established himself as a better receiver than Lee Evans, who is now injured and on the IR List, joining and already large list of walking wounded.

Even with all these setbacks, I don't expect the Bills to roll over when we meet the Fins this Sunday. I would be surprised if the Bills don't play a competitive game against the Fins. As usual, I leave with my usual good luck, and no injury wish for both teams.

Billsfansez....it was nice having something good to say about a team with very little talent, and enormous Heart.

That is a solid and classy post.

If you didn't already hate Cox as the biggest buttmunch ever to wear the teal and orange, remember that unlike Dan Marino, he's got a Super Bowl ring: with the 2001 New England Patriots, where he landed after a few years with the Jets. All three division rivals, gave the finger to Rich Stadium fans, and won the Super Bowl with Brady and Belichick. That's a resume.

On the plus side, we did just get a little bit of revenge not four days ago: Fred Jackson gashed the Browns for over 100 yards in a Bills win, as hte Bills contained the Browns' defensive line, coached by Mr. Cox himself.

Pumped for Sunday's game. I know we'll get the W because I will be there! They won't let me down.

Miami's D is very good but their O will be one-dimensional, and the Cleveland game showed that you won't be able to beat us with a running game alone. I expect another grueling battle resulting in a crushing blow to the Dolphins' playoff hopes.

Go Bills!

Isn't everyone supposed to be getting up for this game?

Didn't you guys see how that cheating Fin gunner dove at the Jets coach leg trying to draw a penalty???

And then Zack Thomas, that meathead, starts crying about a deliberate conspiracy to set up a wall!! Ridiculous... what's next, interviews with Brian Cox??

I can't want to see what the biggest Dolfag, quitter Dan Marino has to say about it on the pregame shows this Sunday, more homer nonsense for certain!

... and, and... and. All right, I'm running out of things to say.

Do we even care about this game anymore? Several years back, I used to check the Miami Herald and Florida Sentinel websites on Dolphin stories just as much as I went to TBD. I can't recall the last time I bothered... where have our rivalries gone?

Sadly, the abyss of mediocrity has swallowed both teams. When was the last time that we faced the Dolphins in a game that mattered for either team? (other than pride).

We suck. They suck. Plus, I haven't seen that cocky swagger that the 'Fins used to have in several years now. It's hard to hate a humble loser. I guess I need to watch video of Brian Cox "greeting" the fans at Rich Stadium like he used to do . . .

Link to the good old daze . .

I remember a game when Brian Cox cam out of the tunnel in Buffalo and gave everyone the finger. People were booing, and throwing beer and stuff, I watch some people take batteries out of their cameras and chuck them at Cox.

Carwell Gardiner used to eat his lunch when they played. Gardiner used to lead block for Thurman and knock Cox on his ass, the crown loved it. One guy threw a snowball with a battery in it that hit Cox everyone loved it.

I remember watching that game on tv. Cox was the worst, and he hated the snow and Buffalo. Although as much as I despised the guy, Don Shula was the top of my hate list. Every game for a decade he ran the score up for no reason, other than to show off and humiliate Bills fans. The guy had no class, although he was probably a great coach.

Levy set him on his ass, and he deserved it. I think Marv was the reason he retired.

This.

I started watching in the early 80s, when the 0-for-70s streak continued into the Hank Bullough, Kay Stephenson, & Vince Ferragamo "era". Plus, my grandfather (a Pompano Beach resident at the time) would always give me a hard time about the Dolphins beating up on the Bills. My hatred for Miami has waned in the past several years, but it's still there. Some of that went to the Jets when I moved to Albany, some more went to the Patriots in recent years.

I'll always see this as a big rivalry, primarily because the Bills reversed the 0-for-70s with a few playoff wins in the early-mid 90s. I'll also chuckle every time someone talks about Dan Marino not getting a ring - the Bills had an awful lot to do with that.

I remember watching that game on tv. Cox was the worst, and he hated the snow and Buffalo. Although as much as I despised the guy, Don Shula was the top of my hate list. Every game for a decade he ran the score up for no reason, other than to show off and humiliate Bills fans. The guy had no class, although he was probably a great coach.

Levy set him on his ass, and he deserved it. I think Marv was the reason he retired.

Well, the 1995 playoff whoopin' they got in Orchard Park was the last straw. I actually thought Shula was fired after that season - he was barely getting his team to the playoffs and losing in the first round.