Giants/Vikings - Snowpocalypse 2010

Just Jack

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy crap, I figured it would be a section of the roof - not the entire dome!

Is that roof like the roof of a bubble where its inflated? In other photos it doesnt look very structural. If its a bubble top it shouldnt be as big an issue.

Brilliant job by the architects and engineers. Lots of snow in Minnesota who would have thought it could happen?

It actually doesn't snow like this very often. I've lived here since '94, and this is by far the most snow we've had in a single storm. Apparently there was a similar storm in '91 that occurred on Halloween -- but since it wasn't that cold out, everything melted a day or two later. It's freezing here now (0F, windchills of -30F), so this snow isn't going anywhere for awhile. :(

Brilliant job by the architects and engineers. Lots of snow in Minnesota who would have thought it could happen?

Minnesota does not usually get "big dumps" of snow. The 17 inches that fell yesterday was ranked 4th in record snowfall totals for the twin cities. Minnesota is usually dry and extremely cold.

I know in Syracuse they take precautions for large snowfall events with the Carrier Dome. If memory serves they have actually deflated the Carrier Dome on purpose with large storms. Anyway, that sucker held almost 4 ft of snow last week.

From www.sports-venue.info:

"Syracuse receives significant lake-effect snows every winter from Lake Ontario. During

periods of high snowfall, the Dome will be closed and the roof fully deflated to protect it from

collapse under the weight of fallen snow. However, modifications after installation of a new

roof in 1999 allow it to reach higher temperatures. The new roof has never been deflated."

It actually doesn't snow like this very often. I've lived here since '94, and this is by far the most snow we've had in a single storm. Apparently there was a similar storm in '91 that occurred on Halloween -- but since it wasn't that cold out, everything melted a day or two later. It's freezing here now (0F, windchills of -30F), so this snow isn't going anywhere for awhile. :(

I know it doesn't happen often. I would think that since large snowfalls have occurred before, someone would plan for this contingency when designing a structure of that size.

The Superdome was built to withstand hurricane force winds for a reason.