How are we EVER supposed to compete

BLZFAN4LIFE

As long as the Pats have Brady and the Bills roll out a back-up QB you will NEVER see the Bills compete with New England. In the NFL it all comes down to who has the franchise QB. Until the Bills get one, whether that be Luck or someone else, they won't be able to compete consistently enough to matter.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no doubt that Brady is the key player to their franchise's success over the past decade. But what allows the Pats to sustain their success is that they have a tremendous organization. Two of their top front office staff, Pioli (KC) and Dimitroff (Atlanta), went to other teams and have helped those organizations in relatively short order become serious teams.

It starts with a good owner who recognizes the importance of investing in staffing his organization with talent. Bill Belichick someday is going to be inducted into the HOF. What has helped him become the face of a successful franchise is that he has a lot of quality people behind the scene in the organization helping identify talent.

A lot of people constantly lament the fact that Buffalo is a small market team and doesn't have the resources of some of the richer franchises. That isn't the source of our franchise's failure. The Patriots are not a spendthrift team. They make a lot of tough talent/money decisions. Some examples are letting Branch (reacquired),Seymour and Moss and getting draft picks for them. They have released high end talent such as Law and Milloy because they decided that their contract demands didn't fit in with the team's cap structure.

The Pats consistently win because as an organization they make a lot of wise decisions. The Bills consistently lose because as an organization they make a lot of foolish decisions. The Pats are a model for the right way to run a football operation. The Bills are a model for the inept way to run a football operation.

Edited by JohnC

And why does this topic have ANYTHING to do with WHERE you pick the QB. The point is that if there seems to be a can't miss QB prospect like Luck, it could turn your franchise around instantly.

Brady is a poor example to use in making this point though, as clearly he wasn't a "can't miss prospect" or else every team in the league wouldn't have passed on him 5-6 times.

New England has a great front office. They know when to trade players and get something for them, instead of letting them play out their contracts. And ... sorry to say it ... but they've got one of the best head coaches in the history of the NFL.

A little bit of luck (I love that guy) doesn't hurt, either. I sincerely doubt that drafting Brady in the 6th round was a purposeful stroke of genius. They found a diamond in the rough.

We did it with Andre Reed long ago.

But I think the bottom line is the front office, scouting and coaching. And we've been in the bottom tier of the league in all 3 categories for 10 years.

I like Chan a lot. I want to see how Nix handles this offseason, though. I do think we're headed in the right direction.

Coming off of the bye the Bills played a few good teams close and then actually won two in a row. Just when the old passion and enthusiasm for the team began to emerge, the wheels fell off in Minny. Then I see the Patriots roll the Jets like they were a D-2 squad. Leading me to ask how are we ever going to compete with the Pats?

While it looks like doom and gloom, we need to do our part in primarily drafting well. We have sucked in this department for ages and we have to hope that Nix, whaley and co. do a better job in adding and replacing talent consistently through the draft. Then we need to draft a 'franchise' QB such as a Manning/Brees/Brady or build such a superior defense that the opposing teams QB is neutralized. Finally, tough as it may sound, out-coach Bellicheck. For far too long he has taken their talent and enhanced it with some very good game prep and in-game management. We need to beat him in coaching as well.

We will not become competitive overnight but do the above and in a few years time, when Brady's skills start to wane, we will have a chance to take over the mantel of an elite team one more time.

While it looks like doom and gloom, we need to do our part in primarily drafting well. We have sucked in this department for ages and we have to hope that Nix, whaley and co. do a better job in adding and replacing talent consistently through the draft. Then we need to draft a 'franchise' QB such as a Manning/Brees/Brady or build such a superior defense that the opposing teams QB is neutralized. Finally, tough as it may sound, out-coach Bellicheck. For far too long he has taken their talent and enhanced it with some very good game prep and in-game management. We need to beat him in coaching as well.

We will not become competitive overnight but do the above and in a few years time, when Brady's skills start to wane, we will have a chance to take over the mantel of an elite team one more time.

How many years you got? Could take another ten.

Not too too tough to figure it out....

BRADY

FITZ

Maybe now people will try and understand why many fans want Luck so badly......

You may call me crazy, but no, I don't understand. I honnestly think that Brady and Fitz are quite the same type of guys. The "only" differences between them are the OL, TE and bilicheat

And why does this topic have ANYTHING to do with WHERE you pick the QB. The point is that if there seems to be a can't miss QB prospect like Luck, it could turn your franchise around instantly.

Um, because - just like Luck - Brady was also a ' can't-miss-prospect ' that everyone coveted and drooled all over themselves for (and not a 6th-round, 199th-overall draft pick and 4th-string backup to Drew Bledsoe) ??? :unsure:

Using Brady to justify the screaming-teenage-girl hysteria for Andy Boy is a non-starter. Brady lingered until the 6th round of the draft, and evenetually emeraged a star QB. Luck could be drafted #1 overall (when he comes out in 2012) and could end up a total bust.

Your premise is invalid. That's my point.

Edited by The Senator

It's called building around your franchise QB - Oh, I forgot, there is only one round in the draft and no free agency. That's too bad because maybe we could have stocked the trenches in rounds 2-7 and free agency.

or traded or gotten free agent quarterbacks? Like Vick or Brees?

Let's assume we ONLY went for the Trenches and Defensive seven with picks one and two the last ten years...We would have Haloti Ngata, Karlos Dansby, Nick Mangold, Chris Kelsay (ok..we actually drafted him) Tommie Harris, Jusin Tuck, Michael Oher, Dallas Clark (TE, but I consider the TE to be a lineman.) and others. We would be FAR more competitive than we are now. Trenches...until you've got quality there, you've got nothing.

Not so easy to trade down nowadays, those days are over. We just need to draft better, As we all know all of our #1 draft picks have been HUGE busts except for, Woods, Levitre, and maybe whitner,.. We need solids drafts, Thats why the Pats are good,and we are not.

I think the trade down problem is probably due to draft position. When you're in the top 10, difficult to trade down as nobody wants to pay the price and salary. When you're drafting in the 20's, its much easier. There's always some coveted player that fell out of the teens that somebody is willing to jump up for to get. So I think the Pats "weaker" draft position is actually a "strength" in maneuvering.

Belichick and Brady are two of the greatest HC's and QB's respectively to ever stand on a NFL sideline. For as long as they remain capable the Pats will be super bowl favourites and thus a thorn in the Bills side. Just gotta accept this part.

How then do the Bills close the distance between them and the Pats. By being superior to them in areas such as drafting, free agent acquisitions and coaching. This will be easier said than done however as you know the Pats will excel in such areas themselves.

So, maybe the best plan of attack is to hope for an incredible string of good luck!

Um, because - just like Luck - Brady was also a ' can't-miss-prospect ' that everyone coveted and drooled all over themselves for (and not a 6th-round, 199th-overall draft pick and 4th-string backup to Drew Bledsoe) ??? :unsure:

Using Brady to justify the screaming-teenage-girl hysteria for Andy Boy is a non-starter. Brady lingered until the 6th round of the draft, and evenetually emeraged a star QB. Luck could be drafted #1 overall (when he comes out in 2012) and could end up a total bust.

Your premise is invalid. That's my point.

And my point is pretty darn simple. Find the franchise QB whether you stumble upon blind luck (no pun intended) or pick in the first round. I would rather take my chances on drafting Luck than wallow in mediocrity for another 15 years. My original point was Brady vs Fitz....hmmmmmm

You may call me crazy, but no, I don't understand. I honnestly think that Brady and Fitz are quite the same type of guys. The "only" differences between them are the OL, TE and bilicheat

I could not disagree more. Brady and Fitz are barely in the same league. The QB makes the line, the line doesn't make the QB. Brady's been sacked one more time than Fitz while playing 2 more games than him so that's pretty comparable. The Pats defense is ranked 2nd worse in the league. I don't think the Pats skilled players are that much superior to the Bills. And yet the Pats are 10-2 and the Bills are 2-10. Why? Simply put the Pats have a franchise QB and the Bills don't. Period.

Just wait until Brady calls it quits and see if it's all him, Belecheat or the combination of the two...

There is no heir in place for when Brady's done. That will be the biggest hurdle to their continued dominance.

I think it is evident that the Pats success isn't solely on Brady's back. The Pats finished 11-5 with Matt Cassel at the QB position. How good did he look his first year at KC. Brady is obviously a huge part of their success, but they have a top notch organization from top to bottom and always draft well. Look what the Pat's have done with Danny Woodhead, and on our side we have a #9 draft pick in CJ that has made very little impact.

Coming off of the bye the Bills played a few good teams close and then actually won two in a row. Just when the old passion and enthusiasm for the team began to emerge, the wheels fell off in Minny. Then I see the Patriots roll the Jets like they were a D-2 squad. Leading me to ask how are we ever going to compete with the Pats?

Excuse me for not researching it, but off of the top of my head I believe they have beaten us 14 straight times and 19 of the last 20. New England also has 2 picks in each of the first 4 rounds of the draft.

The Patriots have their own picks plus these:

The second rounder from Carolina is likely to be the #33 pick, which isn't too shabby. They will use some picks and wisely trade some away and secure additional picks for the future. They have a young D which will only improve over time and look like a firmly entrenched dynasty. Bills fans on the other hand, are relegated to feeling good about moral victories and wins against two-win teams.

Easy guy. Take a deep breath and step away from the edge. This team is in such a hole that the loss in Minn should have been seen ahead of time. Other than that game and 1 or 2 up on the front end, this team has been competitive. It is going to take some time.