Walking Dead

ajzepp

I didn't get that at all. A couple episodes back she all but told Rick to take him out to protect their family. Then she cops a tude when he does it.

Exactly. It was pathetic. I thought for sure she was going to bite it yesterday...

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. No more scenes where the characters argue over who is going to sleep on the couch and who will get the bedroom...

You saw that scene as petty squabbling, I saw it as Herschel finally breaking down his "this is my farm and you are not welcome here" wall.

People complain the writing stinks, but they don't get the subtleties of the story.

I didn't get that at all. A couple episodes back she all but told Rick to take him out to protect their family. Then she cops a tude when he does it.

She didn't think he could/would do it.

For all the folks craving more action, the finale was a huge payoff. The shot of the beams collapsing in the burning barn was incredible. It was like the plantation burning scene in "Gone With The Wind". Jimmy & Patricia became lunch while we finally will move everyone to a new setting. This was all about moving the plot along.

Now what we know from the comics:

I know a lot of people were starting to lose interest in the show because of it's slow pacing. Hopefully a new setting will allow the writers to flesh out the survivors a bit. Like I've said before, I'm interested in who these people are. The threat they face are mindless flesh-eaters, so you don't really care about that side of the equation. Like in "Jaws", the reason you were so frightened by the shark was because you cared about Chief Brody, Hooper and Quint. Those characters were developed and had some depth. We've had no scar-comparison stories like that in TWD to make us really know these people. The closest we've come is Hershel and his drinking and even that was thin. I'd like them to get on track next season, because this story has so much potential.

thanks for the spoiler!

Okay, season two of the "Talking" Dead is in the books...there isn't a single female character on this show I would have been sad to see go...not a bad finale...but only a so-so season. Glad it is over, honeslty...hopefully they add some better writers to the staff...

im not glad its over. i really like the show.

like another poster mentioned, we have to get to know the characters a bit. it cannot be zombie kicking ass 24/7. im sure if the show did that, then everyone would cry, "why doesnt the show reveal more info on the characters or expand their characters...."

I was very entertained by last night's episode...I was rooting for the walkers to just lay waste to the entire farm. I thought the direction was solid, and the scene where the mob hears the gunshot and then changes direction toward the farm was intense. Even the details that were present in the scene where they all came up to the fence and just sort of bumped into it...the attention to detail with regard to the zombie expressions and movements was fantastic. It was also the first time when I was impressed with Carl's acting. It's not his fault that his character is annoying, but last night I thought he did well. Loved the creepiness of the last few scenes and can't wait to find out more about the facility off in the distance!

impressed????? because he said, "dad, we are talking about mom" i hate that little kid

screw carl. i wish he had run off and a zombie ate his ass real good.

I think Rick didnt explain it correctly, in her defense. Kinda long and vauge explanation. All he really needed to say was "he tried to kill me first"

im not glad its over. i really like the show.

like another poster mentioned, we have to get to know the characters a bit. it cannot be zombie kicking ass 24/7. im sure if the show did that, then everyone would cry, "why doesnt the show reveal more info on the characters or expand their characters...."

If you know me, (and I think I posted it earlier in this thread), what lured me to this show (not somethign I would typicaly watch) was the fact that it was taking an urealistic situation, and presenting it in a very realistic, and it wasn't "zombie kicking ass 24/7"... a lot of people used to complain about the Sopranos, because it didn't have enough mob stuff to keep them interested...not me...it kept me interested, becasue the writing and acting was so damn good, you felt like these were real people. With "The Walking Dead", it didn't bother me at all that they spent half the season looking for Sophia, or living on the farm. But, truth is, the characters are all pretty much the same characters they were in the first episode.

Sorry, don't want to sound like a nay-sayer...I just thought the first season of this show was so much better than the second. Not to say it didn't have some great moments (zombie businessman walking the field was my favorite scene of the show), there was just never a lot of follow up on any of them.

Like I said, I am not a big comic book guy, and I can't really think of a single comic-book based movie that I thought was any good (though some were much better than others). I think it is just a different kind of storytelling...a comic book is not only a work of art, but of literature...the artist is saying things with the illustrations, more than the dialouge.

Screen writing can be much the same...when done right...I am glad the season is over, because I am hoping the writers will tighten things up. I realize, too, they went through a lot of behind the scenes cuts between the first and second seasons. To me, it often felt like they were just regurgitating the same conversations, the same themes, over and over...if there hadn't been that break in the two halves of the season, I might not have made it all the way through.

People complain the writing stinks, but they don't get the subtleties of the story.

Is it at all possible that the subtlety exists only because you are looking for a way to explain away the bad writing? I'm a big Walking Dead fan, but the writing and directing this season have been terrible. I have every hope that the third season will turn this around, but it's not a guarantee based on what I saw this season.

Like I said, I am not a big comic book guy, and I can't really think of a single comic-book based movie that I thought was any good (though some were much better than others).

Not even Dark Knight?

You saw that scene as petty squabbling, I saw it as Herschel finally breaking down his "this is my farm and you are not welcome here" wall.

Yeah, I definitely saw it differently. If there weren't lots of other examples of "filler scenes" that served little purpose, I could probably see it your way. Besides, I feel that Herschel's breakdown in the bar when he was throwin' em back alone served notice of his walls coming down. He went from cautious and protective to near complete apathy. Last night he continued this theme when he told Rick, "if a walker gets me, so be it". I just don't see the sleeping arrangment debate as furthering this aspect of his character, but that's just my take.

Yeah, I definitely saw it differently. If there weren't lots of other examples of "filler scenes" that served little purpose, I could probably see it your way. Besides, I feel that Herschel's breakdown in the bar when he was throwin' em back alone served notice of his walls coming down. He went from cautious and protective to near complete apathy. Last night he continued this theme when he told Rick, "if a walker gets me, so be it". I just don't see the sleeping arrangment debate as furthering this aspect of his character, but that's just my take.

I'm with you about Hersheys. I really wanted a zombie to bite his head off. be careful what you wish for, cuz you just might get it!

I'm with you about Hersheys. I really wanted a zombie to bite his head off. be careful what you wish for, cuz you just might get it!

One thing I like about the zombies is there is more variation among them in terms of their speed and viciousness. Some of them walk around aimlessly and seem pretty harmless, others look scary but don't move real fast, and then you have some that can move REALLY fast and you better watch your arse. Seemed like in S1 they were more similar than different, you know?

impressed????? because he said, "dad, we are talking about mom" i hate that little kid

screw carl. i wish he had run off and a zombie ate his ass real good.

I would settle for him taking that stupid hat off.

That hooded character sould be interesting. Did anyone notice the two zombies chained to her had no arms?

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

I would settle for him taking that stupid hat off.

That hooded character sould be interesting. Did anyone notice the two zombies chained to her had no arms?

the armless dudes were creepy as hell

She's taken over from Carl for the most annoying character, IMO. Nice to see she supported her husband when he was explaning what went down with Shane... <_<

Agreed, Lori has taken the torch for being the most annoying character now. All she does is whine. When I thought Rick was taking charge for the better, he seems to be on his way to becoming unstable. The group at the end of the last episode (in their eyes) showed their deterioration of faith in his leadership. Carl has been annoying to me but now he has some catching up to do in order to regain the torch. Good luck little man.

I'm just waiting for Darryl and Glen to take charge. They have an even balance of what's right, can do attitude, and fairness to the group. T-Dog hasn't gotten many lines, perhaps he's a black horse.

Darryl is the survivalist with the group's trust in him if he's willing to recognize it.

Glen is the shy one who has that leadership role waiting to break out if only he will let it. Circumstances can sometimes make the man. Every great man has a great woman behind him. Farmer's daughter's mentality overall doesn't seem too shabby to me one bit.

I actually liked Hershey's spunkiness for protecting the farm a bit but I'm glad he was convinced/half dragged away to live and fight another day and be of better use to the group than being a loin chop to the zombies. He has potential to turn into a more interesting character. I like that he's more realistic now about finding and making a place more defensible than his farm.

Agreed, Lori has taken the torch for being the most annoying character now. All she does is whine. When I thought Rick was taking charge for the better, he seems to be on his way to becoming unstable. The group at the end of the last episode (in their eyes) showed their deterioration of faith in his leadership. Carl has been annoying to me but now he has some catching up to do in order to regain the torch. Good luck little man.

I'm just waiting for Darryl and Glen to take charge. They have an even balance of what's right, can do attitude, and fairness to the group. T-Dog hasn't gotten many lines, perhaps he's a black horse.

Darryl is the survivalist with the group's trust in him if he's willing to recognize it.

Glen is the shy one who has that leadership role waiting to break out if only he will let it. Circumstances can sometimes make the man. Every great man has a great woman behind him. Farmer's daughter's mentality overall doesn't seem too shabby to me one bit.

Glen? So spineless it's lucky he can stand upright? The one who said "Maggie?" with shock when she grabed a gun as the farm was overrun? He is the weakest character by far.

the armless dudes were creepy as hell

Creepy yes, but I would gladly have them as company if they kept me unmolested while I traversed the countryside.

Hmm in time many humans might have armless pets of their own. The hooded chick is smart in trying to blend in.

Glen? So spineless it's lucky he can stand upright? The one who said "Maggie?" with shock when she grabed a gun as the farm was overrun? He is the weakest character by far.

Yes Glen is spineless in many ways and Jim, you're not the only one to mention this. He could have brass balls but he doesn't...yet... He has been passive, he's not as assertive as a man should be. I think he's just had a background of being too insecure in himself and of being too respective of others. It seems like he's slowly breaking out of this mold. Perhaps he'll die before he grows up but I think he'll be a character that will keep developing and eventually grow a set. Just my take.

I don't see him as the weakest character. T-Dog was all about getting out of dodge and abandoning the group until Lori and Hershey's daughter convinced him otherwise. Some characters like Lori and now recently Rick are on the verge of hitting the panic button. Glen volunteers to go on dangerous missions such as going to the med clinic and down the well. It will be interesting to see what develops.

Creepy yes, but I would gladly have them as company if they kept me unmolested while I traversed the countryside.

Hmm in time many humans might have armless pets of their own. The hooded chick is smart in trying to blend in.

Yes Glen is spineless in many ways and Jim, you're not the only one to mention this. He could have brass balls but he doesn't...yet... He has been passive, he's not as assertive as a man should be. I think he's just had a background of being too insecure in himself and of being too respective of others. It seems like he's slowly breaking out of this mold. Perhaps he'll die before he grows up but I think he'll be a character that will keep developing and eventually grow a set. Just my take.

I don't see him as the weakest character. T-Dog was all about getting out of dodge and abandoning the group until Lori and Hershey's daughter convinced him otherwise. Some characters like Lori and now recently Rick are on the verge of hitting the panic button. Glen volunteers to go on dangerous missions such as going to the med clinic and down the well. It will be interesting to see what develops.

I don't see Glen being a major player here. Character aside he just looks/sounds like a kid. No Clit Eastwood for sure. I think the hooded one and the prison may shuffle the deck though, so no telling what's about to happen. Would have been nice if I could have said that after every episode, and not just the finial.

good point about Rick...the guy always has the best interest of others in mind, yet the loyalty of the group seems to be waning. I'm glad he pretty said, "fuggit, you guys go ahead and go off on your own if you don't like the way I do things"...that could be viewed as a defense mechanism for the point you made about him becoming unstable. Lori has already proved that she'll spread her legs the minute Rick is out of the picture for a bit, and after this current lack of support for the Shane thing, it's clear why Rick might be about to crack.

I feel the same way about Darryl and T-Dog, too...I'd love to see them get a little more screen time...they both make the show more interesting, they just need the writers to throw them a bigger bone from time to time.