Wilcots: Fitzpatrick the Answer

JoeF

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 100% with the "we really should have a "Marquee Quarterback". 100%!

The cool thing is, I think RFP could very easily be one!

I have been posting that these last games (starting with the Steelers) would be the ones that will let everyone know if RFP is the guy. Beating Detroit and Cincy is nice, but I need more evidence against some top flight teams, and there are some tough teams ahead. I am beginning to believe RFP is not a fluke. We will know by the end of the season, so it's no big deal, no need to bicker (just don't tell me you need to get a look at Brian Brohm first).

I would say that if what Fitzpatrick is doing right now is what he will do for the next 3 to 5 years in his career, then he falls into the category of a Tier 2 QB, probably not top flite, but just in that next level. In other words, I think he's good enough to get you to the second round of the playoffs sort of QB, but probably not good enough to win the big one unless he's on a team with a lot of other big time weapons. So the answer for a team like the Bills is obviously: try to build around him with big time weapons.

I think to consider him a possible Top 5 NFL QB is a little out of the realm of reasonable. But Top 10 isn't bad. I'll take second round exits for the next decade after the last one.

I would say that if what Fitzpatrick is doing right now is what he will do for the next 3 to 5 years in his career, then he falls into the category of a Tier 2 QB, probably not top flite, but just in that next level. In other words, I think he's good enough to get you to the second round of the playoffs sort of QB, but probably not good enough to win the big one unless he's on a team with a lot of other big time weapons. So the answer for a team like the Bills is obviously: try to build around him with big time weapons.

I think to consider him a possible Top 5 NFL QB is a little out of the realm of reasonable. But Top 10 isn't bad. I'll take second round exits for the next decade after the last one.

He could play at the same level, but some variables could be changed and he would be top tier. First, improve the line, a couple guys, even just a bit better, would improve RFP's game. Right now he is playing without a top shelf line, all the those top tier guys have better lines than him. When Brady plays under the kind of rush RFP usually faces, he suddenly drops out of that "top tier".

A better defense would provide better field position. A better defense can keep the opposition's score down. Those are HUGE. The offense can be better balanced, not be under so much pressure to score. In other words, the offense would hold the cards. That gives a QB so much of an advantage. Right now they are constantly playing from behind, and always concerned about scoring lots of points because they never have the lead, and no lead would be safe. The "card game" aspect favors a cerebral QB that reads defenses well (RFP).

RFP is getting better and better, and is still ascending, so I don't think it is fair to slot him just yet. It is cool to see him get experience in these comebacks and overtime, and high pressure situations. It will benefit him greatly down the line. Again, no need to bicker, because we will get to see how he develops by the end of the season. Next year going into camp the whole vibe will be much different, and he will know that it is his team. Right now, you can feel that the team is learning about each other, players and coaches. Just KNOWING in the offseason that you have a real QB/offense will make the team more focused. Right now they can't even make the playoffs and they are playing all out! That's RARE to see from a team.

I am 100% with the "we really should have a "Marquee Quarterback". 100%!

The cool thing is, I think RFP could very easily be one!

I have been posting that these last games (starting with the Steelers) would be the ones that will let everyone know if RFP is the guy. Beating Detroit and Cincy is nice, but I need more evidence against some top flight teams, and there are some tough teams ahead. I am beginning to believe RFP is not a fluke. We will know by the end of the season, so it's no big deal, no need to bicker (just don't tell me you need to get a look at Brian Brohm first).

The way Fitz plays and the way our OL plays, I'm just worried he will get killed b4 we have a chance to assess how good he really is

I also agree with the guy who made the point, one thing great QB have is great supporting cast. I think if James Lofton had dropped 5 passes on Jim Kelly he would be afraid to come back to the huddle. Fitz has a different style, in a quieter less public way I hope he is holding his guys as accountable. And yeah, better OL = more accurate passing and fewer tips

The Bills have lost nine games, and eight of those losses have come against teams tied or in first place in their divisions. Three of their losses have been in overtime. The Bills aren’t world beaters, but they fight and during the second half of the season they’ve shown they can beat anyone.

Now there's a great quote. It's finally time to Billieve!

Marquee? Superbowl? Evolving into a Peyton Manning?

People, the Bills are 2-9. Woulda-coulda-shoulda means nothing.

Fitz has proven himself to be a capable QB to be sure, and a NFL starter with a ton of heart.

Over his career Gailey has proven himself to be at least adequate,

and this year certainly a inspirational head coach.

Be thankful that a team in Buffalo NY has these 2 people and the sprinkling of other reasonable quality players like Fred Jackson. With any luck (and good General Managing) they will be playoff contenders in a couple years.

Don't be looking for Peyton Manning or Superbowls.

Look forward to capable play and some playoff games at the Ralph.

Luck is not coming out this year people, and he is the only one worth a damn talking as a first rounder. I say we build up the Front 7 and O-Line, since that is where we're getting killed. Gotta Run and Stop the Run!!! That is how you win NFL Football games :)

I don't care much for talking heads but Wilcots is one of the few that deserves respect. He has a tremendous grasp of what is happening on the field and spends a significant amount of time watching film to increase his awareness of current NFL players. Unlike most guys who are focused primarily on promoting themselves, Solomon loves the game itself and always values substance over style. While I don't always agree with the guy, I do always respect his opinion. These comments are actually a pretty significant feather in Fitz's cap.

You have got to be kidding. Wilcots is easily the worst color man on the TV today, and that is saying alot. He reacts to the last play, not the game.

Marquee? Superbowl? Evolving into a Peyton Manning?

People, the Bills are 2-9. Woulda-coulda-shoulda means nothing.

Fitz has proven himself to be a capable QB to be sure, and a NFL starter with a ton of heart.

Over his career Gailey has proven himself to be at least adequate,

and this year certainly a inspirational head coach.

Be thankful that a team in Buffalo NY has these 2 people and the sprinkling of other reasonable quality players like Fred Jackson. With any luck (and good General Managing) they will be playoff contenders in a couple years.

Don't be looking for Peyton Manning or Superbowls.

Look forward to capable play and some playoff games at the Ralph.

Well, talk about a killjoy.... :nana:

Two of Buffalo's losses are on Trent Edwards, so really, Fitz is 2-7 this year. Of those 7 losses, 3 were in OT, and ALL of them came against teams leading (or tied for the lead in) their division. All three of those OT games could have been won by the Bills.

Fitz may not be Manning/Brady-caliber just yet, but I'm starting to feel more & more like they don't need to take a QB in round 1. Address the front 7 and OL in the draft.

Luck is not coming out this year people, and he is the only one worth a damn talking as a first rounder. I say we build up the Front 7 and O-Line, since that is where we're getting killed. Gotta Run and Stop the Run!!! That is how you win NFL Football games :)

Luck will most definitely come out this year. The new CBA threatens to have a rookie salary cap, which would likely take effect in 2012. If Harbough and his manager are sensible, they'll talk this kid into grabbing his payday while it's a sure thing.

I love what Fitzy brings to this team, but if Luck falls to the Bills, you have to take him. That being said, I seriously doubt the way the Bills are playing that they'll have a shot at Luck and you'll see LB or DE as our #1 pick.

Edited by shoveldog

If you can tell me who the next marquee QB is going to be then we'll run right out and sign them. If you can't then why don't we stick with what's working?

I'll say it again, the ONLY reason Fitz is not "marquee" is because he's not a #1 pick. If Clausen or Tebow were having Fitz's season we'd all be crowing how awesome they were. It's a double standard.

PTR

What is shocking to me is that these are mostly Dick(less) Jauron's players. The man missed his calling as a hypnotist because he had 53 men in a daze week after week. Can anyone tell me Chan Gailey doesn't know what he's doing?

PTR

Please dont get me wrong, I love the trajectory of the team right now. And youre right that these are largely the same players that Jauron was coaching to basically even records the last couple years. But before we defame his name any more than has already been done, let us remember that the Bills LED the league two years running in active roster players being placed on IR. Thats just **** luck if you ask me. Now, do I want to change anything the way it stands today?, absolutely not.

I just feel bad for Jauron, to a certain degree, for having to bear the entire weight of our disappointment during that time for something that was largely out of his control.

Flame me if you will

I don't get all the love for Luck. He hasn't played a down in the NFL. For people to want to tank the entire season for a chance on basically an unknown NFL talent is ludicrous. Look at all the failed great QB prospects in the past. Do people really think he's gonna be that much better than RFP? If so, he'll have to be as good or better than Peyton. I'd go to war with RFP thank you. He's smart, plays with passion, is a leader and has the necessary skill set and I'm glad he's on our team. Go Fitz....

Please dont get me wrong, I love the trajectory of the team right now. And youre right that these are largely the same players that Jauron was coaching to basically even records the last couple years. But before we defame his name any more than has already been done, let us remember that the Bills LED the league two years running in active roster players being placed on IR. Thats just **** luck if you ask me. Now, do I want to change anything the way it stands today?, absolutely not.

I just feel bad for Jauron, to a certain degree, for having to bear the entire weight of our disappointment during that time for something that was largely out of his control.

Flame me if you will

Never tonight I'd see someone defending Jauron. As for the injuries, I think the new training regimen has something to do with there being fewer of them.

PTR

For an organization that constantly changes coaches and quarterbacks, they might want to settle on the guy who can dial-up plays and appears to be gritty and tough enough for the fans in western New York. He seems to fit well.

#1, I think Fitz is the man. #2, Ralph has got to love reading that sentence, which has to be a direct dig at all those California QB's we have had to endure since Jimbo..Johnson. Bledsoe(West Coast, same thing), Losman, Edwards..

And yes, I know Fitz from Arizona, but no ocean on his doorstep, means TOUGH GUY :thumbsup:

I don't get all the love for Luck. He hasn't played a down in the NFL. For people to want to tank the entire season for a chance on basically an unknown NFL talent is ludicrous. Look at all the failed great QB prospects in the past. Do people really think he's gonna be that much better than RFP? If so, he'll have to be as good or better than Peyton. I'd go to war with RFP thank you. He's smart, plays with passion, is a leader and has the necessary skill set and I'm glad he's on our team. Go Fitz....

And Luck is just a sophomore so he is still just a kid. You want to throw a kid into the NFL? You think Luck is going to step on a field and read defenses like Fitz does? Or change blocking schemes at the line of scrimmage? People think the job is just chucking a ball.

PTR

What is shocking to me is that these are mostly Dick(less) Jauron's players. The man missed his calling as a hypnotist because he had 53 men in a daze week after week. Can anyone tell me Chan Gailey doesn't know what he's doing?

PTR

Let's stop with the demonizing of Jauron after he has departed. The Jauron teams played just as hard for him as this year's losing Bills team has played for Gailey. The much deserved criticism of Jauron revolved around his primitive offensive philosophy. His teams were tough to watch and were not very entertaining.

The Bills under Jauron went 7-9 three consecutilve years. The current Bills are 2-9. You consider that an upgrade? The Billls during his tenure lacked talent. He maintained a very conservative offensive philosophy to keep his undermanned team in the games. That isn't an unreasonable approach to take under those circumstances. It certainly isn't appealing to watch but there is a rational for DJ's mindset.

The Bills under Jauron and Gailey haven't lost on a regular basis because either coach is an incompetent. They lost because they simply lacked talent. The ownership and front office were of a mediocre level so it shouldn't be too surprising that the product reflected that same weakness.