Our O-line

bobobonators

Props to our O-line...we're about 3 (less) sacks away from being within the top 10 for least sacks allowed in the NFL.

With the continued progression of our O-line, especially Demetrius Bell (did I hear today that Bell hasn't given up a sack this season yet?), could we possibly ignore the O-line in the first 3 rounds of the draft next year? Going into this season I surely though that OL was going to be a major need, but the o-line play the last 7 weeks or so has been absolutely solid.

I'm starting to feel that drafting a position like TE or even WR within the first 3 rounds may be more pressing at this point (obviously I'd still say DL/LB is by far the most immediate position of need). Maybe we can continue adding depth to the 0-line from the 4th round onward.

Thoughts?

The line has play decent IMO and had a pretty good game today. That said, if it's not Fitzpatrick back there make ridiculously quick read, decisions, releases and passes all while being fearless of being smacked, everyone would be saying our lines sucks ass. They are getting better but Fitz hides their weaknesses because he reads defenses, makes decisions and gets the ball out of his hands in two seconds instead of three and four most quarterbacks do. Another reason why he is the answer at the QB position for this team right now. I don't think people realize what a difference he makes back there regardless of the accuracy of his throws.

I think we've become better at pass blocking than run blocking, that's an area I'd like ot see some improvment on. Maybe we were so concerned over the pass blocking, spend the bulk of practice time working on that. I'd consdier using a 3rd rounder on a RT or possibly a center. Let him be a backup for a year or two, then becomes the starter. Unles the plans are stil lto move Wood's to cetner, than no need.

But all things considered O-line and offesne in general is looking pretty good. Give Fitz, and the recievers and Spiller a year under their belts, and should be pretty good next year. They have some depth there too, at least one dcent guard and tackle. Wang may become decent too in another year. That would give them 8 solid line players

I heard the same thing about Bell and thought to myslef "has he really not given up a sack?" I have always thought (yes, really thought) thay D Bell aka Mailman Jr will be a good LT. Chan and Buddy new he was a good lineman even Dick thought so to start him in short time at the beginning of last season.

Besides drafting a RT, any other draft pick would be used for depth. I think going a RT in rounds 2-5 would be a good choice. This of course depending on the draft class. As we saw this April there is no point in forcing to go O line, when the talent just isnt there.

My only question is what to do with the C/RG positions. I like what Urbik did today, gives us good power on the right side. So where does leave Wood, center? I would say yes but i really like what Hang has been doing there. I mean its a good problem to have but it needs an answer and it leaves one of those guys with a seat on the bench.

I concur.

See the Official Our O-Line does not suck any more thread.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/123315-the-official-the-o-line-does-not-suck-anymore-thread/page__p__2035843__hl__official__fromsearch__1#entry2035843

They need to lock down the RT if Love or Carimi falls to the second that might be a good pick, otherwise you can pick up a RT in the 4th after you take 2LBs and a DE with the first 3 picks.

First round pick MUST be a front 7 player.

+1

Games are won in the trenches. We need an O line that Freddie and CJ can run behind when we face the tougher defenses. We need a D that can control the opponent's running game. We aren't there yet. In case nobody mentioned it yet, we gave up 200 yards rushing. Again. :death:

Yeah I know the game lasted an extra quarter. Regardless - we could not stop the Steelers on the ground when it counted.

Run defense in the first half was nonexistant. Sometimes the runner was surrounded and still gained 5 yards. Need 2 linebackers and a DE at least in offseason.

+1

Games are won in the trenches. We need an O line that Freddie and CJ can run behind when we face the tougher defenses. We need a D that can control the opponent's running game. We aren't there yet. In case nobody mentioned it yet, we gave up 200 yards rushing. Again. :death:

Yeah I know the game lasted an extra quarter. Regardless - we could not stop the Steelers on the ground when it counted.

The line has play decent IMO and had a pretty good game today. That said, if it's not Fitzpatrick back there make ridiculously quick read, decisions, releases and passes all while being fearless of being smacked, everyone would be saying our lines sucks ass. They are getting better but Fitz hides their weaknesses because he reads defenses, makes decisions and gets the ball out of his hands in two seconds instead of three and four most quarterbacks do. Another reason why he is the answer at the QB position for this team right now. I don't think people realize what a difference he makes back there regardless of the accuracy of his throws.

I usually agree with all your post, but not this one! If u watch the past that fitz throws to steve in ot, the one he dropped, count how long fitz had! I watch the games close and after 3 seconds I always scream, LET IT GO! So the oline is due more credit than you're giving them!

Pass blocking was good today, but you still don't see the kind of pocket that the really great teams create. Tom Brady often has nobody within 5 yards of him for what seems like an eternity. With the Bills, you see a pocket that collapses steadily, but fortunately we now have a QB that can get rid of the ball quickly. I think Fitzpatrick's accuracy would improve greatly if he had a little more time. I think that the kind of protection he is getting is the kind of protection that Trent or JP would get flustered with on most plays, and either check down (Trent) or get sacked (JP). Same goes for the run blocking.

Pass blocking was good today, but you still don't see the kind of pocket that the really great teams create. Tom Brady often has nobody within 5 yards of him for what seems like an eternity. With the Bills, you see a pocket that collapses steadily, but fortunately we now have a QB that can get rid of the ball quickly. I think Fitzpatrick's accuracy would improve greatly if he had a little more time. I think that the kind of protection he is getting is the kind of protection that Trent or JP would get flustered with on most plays, and either check down (Trent) or get sacked (JP). Same goes for the run blocking.

I agree. Our O-line is still young though with room to continue growing as they become more of a cohesive unit. Like other posters said, the improvement of our O-line goes hand-in-hand with the great play of Fitz. There's very little hesitation on the part of fitz, and he generally knows exactly where he wants to go with the ball. I'd still like to see this O-line unit continue to improve in the run game however. We need to generate more of a push upfront on 3rd and short..we'll see. I'd like to see what Wang can do as well. All in all though, I'm very pleased with their play. We've gone up against some of the tougher defenses in football and our 0-line has def. stepped up to the challenge.

I concur.

See the Official Our O-Line does not suck any more thread.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/123315-the-official-the-o-line-does-not-suck-anymore-thread/page__p__2035843__hl__official__fromsearch__1#entry2035843

They need to lock down the RT if Love or Carimi falls to the second that might be a good pick, otherwise you can pick up a RT in the 4th after you take 2LBs and a DE with the first 3 picks.

Exactly!

http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp

http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound2_33-48.asp

Pass blocking and run blocking are ENTIRELY different. This team still needs O-line help. Dont' be fooled by the play of Fitz and the steady improvement in pass blocking. The game is still dictated by being able to run when you need to, and right now we dont have the O-line to just walk up to the line of scrimmage and tell the D, "we're running right here", and actually being able to do it.

Although improved, we are a RT and in a year or two, a Center away from having a very good line. Much better then last year. I could live w/ an RT being taken in round 2.

Nick Fairley in the 1st, tackle in the 2nd, and then 5 linebackers.

LOve Bc's LT Costanzo or something like that. Looks good every time I see him. 6'7" and 300+ lbs, great drive blocker and does not give up sacks. I would love 2 OLBs. one LT, one RT and a TE in first 4 rounds as we have 5 pix, i think there.

Quality with those first 5 picks/positions would be amazing, but I'd also like to see Buddy bring in some FA's that can step right in while letting the Rooks grow into their positions.