Are these the Real Bills?

bigbillsfan12

62 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about these Bills of ours?

• Definitly turned the corner and are heading in the right direction.
    • Just waiting for them to fall apart and show their true colors.

Preparing to get called a homer that knows nothing about football on this one but...

This offense is exciting for the first time in a long time, the head coach has a pulse and seems to be adept at building effective gameplans, fitz has taken control of this team (whether you believe in his skills you can't question his leadership), and the d has improved since the switch back to a 43 (kelsay most noticeably - terrible lb better de)

It happens from time to time that this team starts to show improvement and get everyone excited and then the inevitable happens and they fall apart and smack us all back to reality.

What do you think?

I think the turnaround happened at the baltimore game. We hit bottom and now are on our way up. I am usually a positive glass half full guy,and some of you may be asking what I am smoking(all I can say is it is very good) but I say we take the steelers tomorrow and get the respect we deserve. It would be nice for a change to have a little buzz around the nfl talking about our Bills. I guess we'll know about 4 pm tomorrow.

I think the turnaround happened at the baltimore game. We hit bottom and now are on our way up. I am usually a positive glass half full guy,and some of you may be asking what I am smoking(all I can say is it is very good) but I say we take the steelers tomorrow and get the respect we deserve. It would be nice for a change to have a little buzz around the nfl talking about our Bills. I guess we'll know about 4 pm tomorrow.

I agree with the folks who say the Steelers will be a test.

Even if we get blown out, if we see fight all game I will still feel that we're on the right track.

This .... +1

I want to hit 'Def turned the corner', but one big issue still bothers me.

George Edwards defense. The guy was brought in to implement his version of the 3-4 and the team committed high draft choices, FA acquisitions and positon changes for current players toward this end. It's safe to say they've sucked at it from the gitgo. Gailey, who impresses me as a coach who'll ganmeplan around the talent on the team, seemingly has imposed his will to amend the D in an attempt to stay competitive. One could say it's now a hybrid D, forming to down & distance situations, but the leagues' successful DC's have no history I'm aware of bending their schemes due to lack of specdific talent per position. Our D has played better recently, but the competition has been comparatively suspect.

If we get whomped Sunday, then what? Edwards disregards all this changing on the fly and tries to re-institute that which he came on board to do? Next year, presumably more complete towards his 'scheme', will all this just be considered fickle and all current players asked to disregard what they've morphed into the last few weeks?

Not sure if this makes much sense, but I'm leary of the 4-3/3-4/db blitz/whatever-stuff we're seeing.

On the other hand, choice B doesn't apply

It happens from time to time that this team starts to show improvement and get everyone excited and then the inevitable happens and they fall apart and smack us all back to reality.

What do you think?

Regardless of how things turn out tomorrow, I like that this team - From the front office on down - has been taking steps to improve the Bills every week. Difficult and unpopular decisions have been made this season. I still don't know why Edwards made it through training camp, and we got nothing when we cut him. Personally I would have liked to see us get more for Lynch. That being said, he hasn't done much in Seattle. But the F.O. looks to be trying things to build some depth on this team, and HOPEFULLY we have a much stronger cast of players when training camp starts next summer. We're going to need one, because the Patriots are going to be a force to deal with for the next several years.

Edited by Mr_Blizzard

I was less than thrilled when Buddy and Chan were hired. I like many of you, was puzzled at some of the draft choices and lack of FA signings and going into the season with the same tackles. Maybe this was the only way they could truly see what they had and what they needed going forward. Guys like Stevie have stepped up. Even whitner has looked better (still not worthy of the number 8 pick). The line isnt all pro but has looked much better. I like Chan I think he is very good at using what he has and designing game plans. I think he holds players accountable and they arent afraid to admit mistakes (see the release of Trent and Cornell Green)nor take a chance (Merriman). People laughed at this team yet look at them now- fine 2-8 but nothing like cincy or dallas. the attitude has changed. Honestly I'd like to keep flying under the radar finish the year as strong as we can and bring in some more pieces to the puzzle for next season and catch everyone off guard.....

We beat two of the worst teams in the league.

I'm not prepared to say the corner is turned yet. If we win against the Steelers, I'll say corner turned.

There is still a looong way to go, but these Bills aren't playing the role of victim. They "bring it" every week, and there is no quit in these guys. We still need to overhaul the defensive front 7, but I think we are going in the right direction. Time will tell..

Edited by Mr_Blizzard

I think there should be a more middle of the road option such as we haven't turned the corner yet but we are not the same team we were in week 4 when the Jets humiliated us and I don't see us regressing back to that team. I don't think we can get to any point this season to where we can say we've turned any corner. There needs to be a full season where we can prove we are at least a playoff contender and not just a team that came on strong after they already played themselves out of any playoff hopes. But I like the direction we are going in.

They've always been the Real Bills, from the crap years to the superbowl years and back to crap again. That's the way it goes.

But they're OUR Real Bills. Good, bad & ugly. Who else am I gonna root for, the friggin fish?

Go Bills.....smack the Steelers!!!

Edited by DrFishfinder

you finally see some direction in the franchise. Something that has been lacking since Butler left.

I do not believe this coaching/gm regime can take the Bills to the championship level. but they can get the franchise back to legitimacy. It is a process. God knows the next decade is due to be a better then the last.

We beat two of the worst teams in the league.

I'm not prepared to say the corner is turned yet. If we win against the Steelers, I'll say corner turned.

Just look at the Chiefs. At 6-4 leading their division, after going 4-12 last year. They went into week 11 at 2-7 playing the then defending champ Steelers. The Chiefs played a very tough game and finished on top 27-24 in OT. They seem to have turned the corner and we have a similar situation (going in 2-8 week 12). Deja Vu?

I love the effort, toughness and resiliency of this team. HOWEVER, they still have a SIGNIFICANT talent

gap as compared to playoff-level teams. It is important and significant that they seem to have changed

the player culture this year. In the offseason, they still have more holes to fill than can be reasonably

expected, but they could be a .500 team next year with the right pieces added.

I think that Troup and Carrington will be functional, solid additions to the D next year. I think the

defensive backfield is already quite good. Big improvement on defense hinges on really improving the

LB corp. They need at least 1 legitimate feared pass rusher at 1 OLB spot. The other OLB position

needs an upgrade over Kelsay in terms of overall game. At ILB, it would be nice, though not imperative

to have an upgrade over Andra Davis next to Poz. If they can accomplish those things, the D can be

fair-to-midland.

I'd love to believe in Fitzpatrick and I haven't completely formed my opinion yet, but he still looks like

a top backup/low-end starting QB to me. Yes, he plays with heart, effort, leadership and intelligence, but

he is not a very accurate passer and throws too many picks at very inopportune times. That being said, the

players seem to really love playing with him and he is young enough to possibly continue developing into

a good starting QB (still, hard to think he'll ever be more than the worst starting QB in the division with

Brady and Sanchez likely always being well above him).

The team NEEDS at least a decent TE. I wanted to believe in Shawn Nelson - and maybe you can write off

his lack of contribution this year to injury/suspension, but he does not look like the answer, so far. Other

teams boast TEs that make 4-5 catches a game and keep drives alive with important catches. Look at Dustin

Keller in NY and Hernandez and Gronkowski in NE - imagine how much more effective Fitzpatrick could be with

a dangerous weapon like those guys to go with Evans and Johnson.

A functional RT is a must. All of these undrafted guys and rejects from other teams are not going to cut

it at RT if this team hopes to be a playoff contender.

If they can upgrade half or more of the above positions in the offseason, then they can show significant

improvement next year.