looks like Merriman may indeed be out for the season

dave mcbride

Promo is asking some good questions. I have to believe if he doesn't play a game this year other teams are going to look at him but want him cheap. He's better off staying here a year to prove he's still a player.

Its likely he will be cut after Pre-Season 2011 or before he has a roster bonus next year.

He has zero.zero trade value and is a liability on and off the field.

He needs to gain 20 pounds to start, he is not a male model he is supposed to be a LB it doesn't seem he understands this concept.

If he can't play, he can't play. There is no switch.

Edited by Why So Serious?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, this situation plays into the Bills hands, especially if he can play next season. The time off will allow for the injury (injuries) to heal and with OTA's and training camp as the litmus test, we either keep him or cut him, depending on production. Risk/Reward scenario could play out to the Bills favor at a definate position of need. One less problem IF he pans out.

Note: I'd also think that he sees for himself what type of turnaround is underway in Buffalo, and IF he really does love the game, and the Bills help him through this rough spot, maybe the outcome suits both parties!!

Agreed. It cost less than $2 million and I believe we will get a pick if he is picked up by another team. This may not have worked out, but you have to love the attitude of trying to improve the team.

The rumors of a compensatory pick are greatly exaggerated.

He would need to actually qualify with some PT in 2011 for a 2012 Compensatory pick and he has and will have a tiny salary. 1.7 won't get you much.

Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft#Compensatory_picks

Edited by Why So Serious?

He would need to actually qualify with some PT in 2011 for a 2012 Compensatory pick and he has and will have a tiny salary. 1.7 won't get you much.

Merriman's contract is more than 1.7, I believe.

I don't see any offers.........its that bad!

How would you see any offers? You work for the Bills?

Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft#Compensatory_picks

I'm not sure how this works at all but we are just paying the remaining $1.7 million of his salary. I believe he was playing under some tag this year and was making over $3 million.

I'm not sure how this works at all but we are just paying the remaining $1.7 million of his salary. I believe he was playing under some tag this year and was making over $3 million.

Yes, I'm seeing $3.269 million.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?id=3171&sport=NFL

I would give him a chance to heal and then we'll see. Next season? Why rush things as this season is shot? I get both sides of the argument. Knowing what I know now would I recommend going after him. No. But now that he is with the Bills give it a real chance to work. I remember the 49ers giving up on Ted Washington years ago after his many injuries. Then, the Bills picked him up and it worked out for a while... until big Ted hit the turnstiles.

This makes for an interesting off-season. If Merriman can't get any legit offers, does he stay another year? Does his relationship with Nix play into a decision? Does this guy have anything left?

PTR

We now have the rights to him so If he doesnt stay we should get something in return!

How did this guy pass a physical?

Seriously, is there any grounds to sue the Chargers or something? Didn't he have to pass through their medical staff before he was waived? And now he is maybe out for the season after 20 minutes of practice?

There should be a freaking lemon law for this kind of thing.

I think he scammed us, into payinghis salary, he knew he was hurt he gutted out the first 15 minutes of practice and the gets hurt season over collect your check at the window !

Can we cut him without paying him for the rest of the season since he was/is damaged goods.

No you can't cut him without an injury settlement. Also, as a vested vet being waived, I believe he would've been paid in full by San Diego had he not been picked up by another team. Thats not 100% certain as I've never seen the "minor injury ir" tag used. But as a noninjured cut it would def be true.

3.269/2 = 1.6345 which rounds up to 1.7 Million.

A Dean should never expose his pupils to a possible shortcoming in his education. :nana:

Why are you dividing by 2? His salary this year is over $3.2 million. You said otherwise. The Bills may be only paying half of it, but his salary isn't 1.7.

EDIT: OK, I misread what you said. My bad.

EDIT to the EDIT: Actually I see what I did. I responded to the wrong post. I was really responding to Why SO Serious who suggested SM's salary was 1.7. :oops:

Edited by The Dean

Why are you dividing by 2? His salary this year is over $3.2 million. You said otherwise. The Bills may be only paying half of it, but his salary isn't 1.7.

EDIT: OK, I misread what you said. My bad.

EDIT to the EDIT: Actually I see what I did. I responded to the wrong post. I was really responding to Why SO Serious who suggested SM's salary was 1.7. :oops:

When the Compensatory pick is discussed, the Formula for determining a Compensatory pick is the players performance in the year following the loss of the player.

Meaning Merriman's performance in 2011, also the way I read it the amount of money the player was paid by the team that is assigned the compensatory pick, which in this case for the Bills would be 1.7mil over 8 games.

Basically the idea of the Bills receiving a compensatory pick for "losing" Merriman is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOng shot.

How did this guy pass a physical?

Seriously, is there any grounds to sue the Chargers or something? Didn't he have to pass through their medical staff before he was waived? And now he is maybe out for the season after 20 minutes of practice?

There should be a freaking lemon law for this kind of thing.

Because doctors don't have ESP. Some problems don't come with obvious symptoms. Besides a team physical is probably not that thorough. If you can pass a stress test without pain you pass.

PTR

Because doctors don't have ESP. Some problems don't come with obvious symptoms. Besides a team physical is probably not that thorough. If you can pass a stress test without pain you pass.

PTR

Since we're under the none existent cap and its not my money I'm not too worried about Ralphie's 1.7 million however, I expect that Someone should be worried about 1.7 Million dollars.

And that some should ask the doctor that performed the Physical, "Really? You didn't think to check his Achilles tendon? Was that not in your patient history? Do you not pay attention to football even though you are an NFL doctor and it is your business? Really you passed this guy?"

As me, a random guy, I would say to the Bills, Sign me for 1.7 million, hell .7 million and I can hold a press conference and then collect checks for watching the game. I'm just saying if they're going to hand out money, I'm not adverse to taking a couple hundred K.

But really its no sweet off my back.