Question about our TE's

BeastMode54

I really thought Nelson would develop into a great pass catching threat from the TE spot. He's built like a large WR. Maybe that' his problem, he's too small to stay and help block. My question is, and this is because I can't look at the film, is he not open? Is he running bad routes? Does Chan simply not want to throw to the TE? Coverage underneath could be exposed with a decent TE and that would make our WR's that much better (which is a scary thought). Could Nelson still be our TE of the future? I just want to know from any of you out there that may have looked at the game film more closely

The main reason right now, IMO, is that Gailey does not trust the OL enough to block, and keeps David Martin in to help them out. When we go to a more spread offense, he will play WRs instead of TEs, and it has been working. Throw in the missed time because of injury and suspension that Nelson had, along with his fumble and drop (albeit, the fumble was a terrible call IMO), he's just not getting on the field much. It's hard to argue with the results of the WRs in the passing game, although throwing Nelson in the mix, if not a liability in the blocking game, could be even more explosive. We're probably going to have to wait for next year though.

If the Bills look at the New England/Pittsburgh film, they would be wise to have Shawn Nelson's coming out party this weekend! The Patriots exposed the weakness in the Steeler defense, and that was covering the young TE's throughout the game. Rob Gronkowski had two Td's and Aaron Hernandez had a good game too. Both of these players are ahead of Nelson professionally, but if Carrington and Troup are being brought along as rookies, I'd find a way to get my athletic, 2nd year TE involved. Just saying....

Our TE's don't create the mismatches they are supposed to. They can't block the way they should and they are no threat one-on-one w/ anyone (including LBs) when there is no uncertainty if they will be going in or out...

Bottom line they suck.

Just watch Martin out there...he can't block worth a damn...and if he shows up in passing game it's only b/c he has no choice but to be open and get the ball...

Edited by dayman

Our TE's don't create the mismatches they are supposed to. They can't block the way they should and they are no threat one-on-one w/ anyone (including LBs) when there is no uncertainty if they will be going in or out...

Bottom line they suck.

Just watch Martin out there...he can't block worth a damn...and if he shows up in passing game it's only b/c he has no choice but to be open and get the ball...

I just think Chan's offense does not try and utilize a TE. To me ,Nelson is so fast and tall that no LB could keep up with him if we isolated him aon a LB and tried to get him ethe ball in the seems like New England does in their offense. That, being said, Martin is too slow and sucks all around. At least Nelson might be able to catch a pass and go forward.

Bottom line they suck.

If mis-matches in coverage was all that is to be considered, then Nelson would fit the bill very well. His route running may or may not be where it needs to be, but Nelson has displayed good hands and clearly he has speed for a TE. Other factors delaying his development might be his suspension, Chan's comfort running the spread with the WR's, etc.

Last year wasn't a great year for TE's. Outside of Pettigrew, who is tied for the most receptions for a TE in the NFL, not a single other TE from that draft class is in the top-32 in receiving in the NFL. This year was a better one for drafting one it seems.

Last year wasn't a great year for TE's. Outside of Pettigrew, who is tied for the most receptions for a TE in the NFL, not a single other TE from that draft class is in the top-32 in receiving in the NFL. This year was a better one for drafting one it seems.

The pats picked up 2 TEs that have a combined 55 catches, nearly 700 yards and 9 TDs. Hernandez has almost as many yards and a far better ypc than Pettigrew.

The pats picked up 2 TEs that have a combined 55 catches, nearly 700 yards and 9 TDs. Hernandez has almost as many yards and a far better ypc than Pettigrew.

Hence the "This year was a better one for drafting one it seems" comment. <_<

As for Hernandez, in hindsight drafting him over Easley would have been better. But then all you would have talking about is him failing multiple drug tests in college.

But I can't hate on the kid. He's a good player and from the next town over (which is also the home of ESPN).

Edited by Doc

Hence the "This year was a better one for drafting one it seems" comment. <_<

As for Hernandez, in hindsight drafting him over Easley would have been better. But then all you would have talking about is him failing multiple drug tests in college.

But I can't hate on the kid. He's a good player and from the next town over (which is also the home of ESPN).

Yeah, I would say picking Hernandez instead of Easley would have been better. A top TE prospect vs yet another WR.

Don't hear anything about any failed drug tests....

From anything i've ever heard about Gailey he's not a big TE type of coach but with nelson's talents i hope he finds a way to use him .

That would just give us one more weapon . Plus too the guy was out for 4 games and had to get into playing shape and was behind as far as reps with the ones & timing a familiarity is all part of good offense's . I think there's still hope for him !!!

Yeah, I would say picking Hernandez instead of Easley would have been better. A top TE prospect vs yet another WR.

LOL! A "top TE prospect"...that fell to the 4th round (that's where Shawn Nelson was picked)? And "yet another WR"...when the Bills had let TO walk and cut Reed? Hindsight sure is great, isn't it?

Don't hear anything about any failed drug tests....

Gee, what a shock. Google it.

We'll see.

Doesn't matter to WEO if Easley proves to be a stud. He knew Johnson and Parrish would break out and David Nelson and Donald Jones would contribute, thus making Easley a dumb pick. All the while knowing Hernandez would be a stud, but "not knowing about"/ignoring his own admission of pot use.