Roll Call - Who would have preferred to lose?

The Senator

Please reconcile your "we need to lose to draft high to get talent" idiocy with the fact that a 7th round draft pick was clutch on the field today...

:lol:

A first round pick is like a raffle ticket with a 1:2 chance of winning. (The exact odds depend on where in the first round you draft.) A seventh round pick is like a raffle ticket with 1:50 odds.

Yes, it's possible to point to some late round success story, such as Johnson, and say, "Look! You don't need draft position! Look how well this seventh round pick did!" That "insight"--if that's what you want to call it--represents your contribution to this thread. Well that, and your name-calling. You're well above your usual posting quality, but still very, very far from actually making a valid point.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did Miami go from 1 and 15 to playoffs next season?

How did ATL go from complete shambles to playoffs next season?

The only thing that matters on draft day next March is the position you're drafting and what players you can get.

Wrong. All that matters is picking the right players for your team year after year. If you are picking teams to make your point, I will chose perennially elite teams such as the Colts, Steelers, Patriots* as examples of teams who regularly pick out of the top 10 (or even 20) yet manage to bring in enough talent to stay at the top.

I will root for us winning every game day with no ifs, ands or buts.

I don't think we are. It is just fun to win especially how they played today. That's all.

I was very happy with this win -- and it was fun to watch the Bills come back from a deep hole and to see Bungles go down in flames (never been an "ohcocinco" fan). I just think we need to temper our enthusiasm with the reality that the Bungles had some key injuries. That said, screw the Bungles and Marvin Lewis.

I just wish it wasn't the Steelers that is up next on the schedule.

Now's your chance to explain, once again, why The Bills (and their fans) should have preferred a loss today.

Anyone? Anyone at all? Fall in and sound off...

I would have preferred they lost in order to stay in the fight for the 1st overall pick.

My explanation is a simple one.

This current team is so far away from competing for a playoff spot (we won't even say a championship, cause they are way to far away for that to even be mentioned). By getting the 1st overall there is a chance this team could have traded down, picked up more picks in the top 3 rounds in an effort to not only bring in high end talent, but also to start filling out those depth roles.

Wrong. All that matters is picking the right players for your team year after year. If you are picking teams to make your point, I will chose perennially elite teams such as the Colts, Steelers, Patriots* as examples of teams who regularly pick out of the top 10 (or even 20) yet manage to bring in enough talent to stay at the top.

I will root for us winning every game day with no ifs, ands or buts.

Colts are where they are because of #1 OVERALL Peyton Manning.

Big Ben was a high 1st round pick.

Pats wisely dump aging vets for draft picks.

What was your point again?

A first round pick is like a raffle ticket with a 1:2 chance of winning. (The exact odds depend on where in the first round you draft.) A seventh round pick is like a raffle ticket with 1:50 odds.

Yes, it's possible to point to some late round success story, such as Johnson, and say, "Look! You don't need draft position! Look how well this seventh round pick did!" That "insight"--if that's what you want to call it--represents your contribution to this thread. Well that, and your name-calling. You're well above your usual posting quality, but still very, very far from actually making a valid point.

In other words, the odds of a draft pick panning out are about 1 in 4. So just remeasure your seventh round pick until he regresses to a 1 in 4 chance of being successful.

Still being a !@#$ing moron, I see. :lol:

I would have preferred they lost in order to stay in the fight for the 1st overall pick.

This current team is so far away from competing for a playoff spot (we won't even say a championship, cause they are way to far away for that to even be mentioned). By getting the 1st overall there is a chance this team could have traded down, picked up more picks in the top 3 rounds in an effort to not only bring in high end talent, but also to start filling out those depth roles.

it's probably easier to trade down when you don't have the #1 pick b/c few teams are willing to give up their entire future on trading up for one player

How many times has the 1st overall pick been traded recently? You get depth by drafting 7 players and signing UFA. They will still have a top 5 pick this year so try to enjoy the football games. This is what we wait all off season for. We have been losing for 10 straight years.

I did enjoy that game -- but we shouldn't get carried away with our enthusiasm, because the Bungles secondary was depleted by injuries. That said, tought beans for Cinci, and for Marvin Lewis. Hope his arrogant butt gets fired.

When your first grade kid comes home with a 100 on a math test, do you tell him not to get carried away because its only single digit addition?

Colts are where they are because of #1 OVERALL Peyton Manning.

Big Ben was a high 1st round pick.

Pats wisely dump aging vets for draft picks.

What was your point again?

I was responding to the statement that the position of your first pick matters on draft day.

One # 1 pick does not make your point. Ben was #14 (I think) and again, Pats* regularly draft low. Detroit, 49ers have been picking high for years with marginal results. Draft strategy, good scouting and consistently picking high performers is the key to long term success in the NFL today, irrespective of draft position.

How does whatever you wrote refute my rebuttal to that point ?

When your first grade kid comes home with a 100 on a math test, do you tell him not to get carried away because its only single digit addition?

Exactly.

But we should get overly enthusiastic when Luck plays 15 games or so worth of college football. That Luck guy is so proven. :rolleyes:

He throws such nice TD passes against San Jose State.

I was responding to the statement that the position of your first pick matters on draft day.

One # 1 pick does not make your point. Ben was #14 (I think) and again, Pats* regularly draft low. Detroit, 49ers have been picking high for years with marginal results. Draft strategy, good scouting and consistently picking high performers is the key to long term success in the NFL today, irrespective of draft position.

How does whatever you wrote refute my rebuttal to that point ?

Never said "first pick." Said "draft position" which applies to all the rounds.

Not among true and rational fans who want the team to win EVERY week, no matter who the competition. We don't need to wait for any specific victory to be happy with a victory.

So what gives you the right to determine who and who are not fans. I guess since my family is one of the few original season ticket holders, it means I am no longer longer a fan since I would have preferred a franchise QB who was within our sights a few weeks ago. Now that Luck is out of the picture, I would love to win every game. Maybe there still some people who want to lose because they think we can still get luck - I know I won't pass any judgment on those people as to if they are fans or not. Give it a freakin' rest.

How did Miami go from 1 and 15 to playoffs next season?

How did ATL go from complete shambles to playoffs next season?

The only thing that matters on draft day next March is the position you're drafting and what players you can get.

The only thing that matters on opening kickoff next season is the talent you're putting on the field.

The notion that it somehow matters what your record was last season IS COMPLETE BUNK.

I didn't mean to imply that I think your prior season record matters when the next season starts. I meant that I'd rather have my team moving in the right direction and showing signs of improvement than to intentionally jake it in an attempt to win the lottery. Jake Long was not single-handedly responsible for the Dolphins turnaround. And for every Dolphins turnaround like that, there are just as many examples of drafting #1 and still sucking. Both winning and losing are contagious.

He throws such nice TD passes against San Jose State.

To be fair, he has played against some quality programs this year:

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/stan-m-footbl-sched.html

2010-2011 SCHEDULE

Date Opponent / Event Location Result

Sat., Sep. 4 vs. Sacramento State TV STANFORD STADIUM W, 52-17

Sat., Sep. 11 at UCLA * TV Los Angeles, CA W, 35-0

Sat., Sep. 18 vs. Wake Forest TV STANFORD STADIUM W, 68-24

Sat., Sep. 25 at Notre Dame TV South Bend, IN W, 37-14

Sat., Oct. 2 at Oregon * TV Eugene, OR L, 31-52

Sat., Oct. 9 vs. USC * TV STANFORD STADIUM W, 37-35

Sat., Oct. 23 vs. Washington State * TV STANFORD STADIUM W, 38-28

Sat., Oct. 30 at Washington * TV Seattle, WA W, 41-0

Sat., Nov. 6 Arizona * TV STANFORD STADIUM W, 42-17

Sat., Nov. 13 at Arizona State * TV Tempe, AZ W, 17-13

Sat., Nov. 20 at California * TV Berkeley, CA W, 48-14

Sat., Nov. 27 vs. Oregon State * TV STANFORD STADIUM 4:30 PM PT

USC, UCLA, CAL and Oregon aren't exactly JuCo programs.

And San Jose State isn't on this year's schedule.

So what gives you the right to determine who and who are not fans.

I give me that right! :nana:

I referred to "true and rational fans". There may be some who call themselves true fans and root for the Bills to lose. I would argue they are not rational.