lesser known female vocalists

birdog1960

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is another of her, singing a great Kristy McCall song...fine singer/songwriter in her own right!

youtube.com/watch?v=GonJsKMyIdA&feature=related

No apologies needed...I have been on an Emmylou Harris jag for a few weeks now...I can't say that I like her Daniel Lanois period stuff as much, although it is her most critically acclaimed...I think Lanois sucked the life out of her music. I love the early stuff, right up through the late 80's. Just got finished reading "Hickory Wind", the Gram Parsons bio, and it made me want to go back and listen to their duet stuff...high lonesome for sure!

I'm a big fan of Mark Knopfler. He and Emmylou did an entire CD of duets a few years back called All the Roadrunning. You may want to check it out. I was lucky enough to get to see a Knopfler show this spring and Pieta Brown, the daughter of Greg Brown (prominent songwriter) opened for him. She put on a nice show. It was just her and her guitarist Bo Ramsey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h11wXkgzYc

geez. had more pennies and nickles in the bag than quarters. amazon only had this as in import cd for $30+. damn good, but i'll wait for the mp3's. you guys took me seriously when i said obscure. but got a little bit of everything suggested and i'm thankful for them. thanks all. couldn't resist anything named "red hot skillet lickers" ...great call dean!

Deborah Berg (from the band Eye to Eye) is one of my all-time favorite modern female vocalist. This first video is relatively new (2005) and really shows the maturity of Deborah's voice.

This older classic number (1981) is a better song IMO, but there is no video to speak of. So I will simply provide the link. This is when she was much younger, obviously:

geez. had more pennies and nickles in the bag than quarters. amazon only had this as in import cd for $30+. damn good, but i'll wait for the mp3's. you guys took me seriously when i said obscure. but got a little bit of everything suggested and i'm thankful for them. thanks all. couldn't resist anything named "red hot skillet lickers" ...great call dean!

Hope you like it. Lavay Smith is a real throwback. Amy Winehouse gets all the pub, mostly for her bad behavior. But Lavay is the real deal, who deserves to be much better know.

Edited by The Dean

OK, one more. Not typically a fan of this type of singer, but Janita (Jenny) Haan from 70's band Babe Ruth, is a major exception. She can belt it out, that's for sure:

And here's something live:

Edited by The Dean