Luck Hype?

TH3

Guys, I have read so much on this board how AL - if drafted by the Bills - will fly into Toronto and walk across lake Ontario, swim up the Niagara, and jump the falls like a salmon returning to its birthplace to get to Buffalo in proof of his athletic and leadership prowess.

Actually I just read a poster who said that he is the "best QB to come out in ten years"...

Does anyone have links, quotes, etc by "people in the know" - and not the lapdog - that support this national view of him? I read about him and I get the feeling that the national press thinks of him as a solid pick - not even a concensus #1 yet - but certainly not the next coming of Elway....

I just get the feeling that the locals have lost their ever-loving minds on what they expect this guy to be - if he comes here.

Guys, I have read so much on this board how AL - if drafted by the Bills - will fly into Toronto and walk across lake Ontario, swim up the Niagara, and jump the falls like a salmon returning to its birthplace to get to Buffalo in proof of his athletic and leadership prowess.

Actually I just read a poster who said that he is the "best QB to come out in ten years"...

Does anyone have links, quotes, etc by "people in the know" - and not the lapdog - that support this national view of him? I read about him and I get the feeling that the national press thinks of him as a solid pick - not even a concensus #1 yet - but certainly not the next coming of Elway....

I just get the feeling that the locals have lost their ever-loving minds on what they expect this guy to be - if he comes here.

Congratulations!!!! :thumbsup:

Yours is the first of today's 20 new Andrew Luck threads!

(Just be careful - you do not seem to be buying in to the "Luck is God" mentality, and anti-Andy-adoration threads are frowned upon by members of the TSW's growing Luck-Lovers Legion!)

Edited by The Senator

Considering how he rose and has now fallen in the draft stakes, I have to admit I am intrigued by Jake Locker. Could he be 2011's version of Dan Marino, drafted 27th in 1983 after such hyped luminaries as Todd Blackledge and Ken O'Brien?

+1 I have been thinking the same thing. Locker will be our franchise QB.

Considering how he rose and has now fallen in the draft stakes, I have to admit I am intrigued by Jake Locker. Could he be 2011's version of Dan Marino, drafted 27th in 1983 after such hyped luminaries as Todd Blackledge and Ken O'Brien?

Very simple draft rule that will weed out the busts early . Do not draft a QB with under 60% completion percentage in the first two rounds.

After round 2 go ahead but the one thing that EARLY round busts have in common is not enough starts and less than 60% completion percentage.

Locker is risky early.

He looks to possess all of the traits you want to see in a QB. Watch him play instead of relying on what other people tell you to think. Your eyes won't lie.

But, if you insist on listening to the pundits, they all seem to agree too.

Notice how the OP asks for specifics and the Luck folks wax poetic.

Also "He posses all of the traits you want" including the aforementioned ability to walk on water.

BUT yes watch the games yourself. You'll see that your gut was right.

He definitely isn't the second coming of John Elway, but he is a good QB prospect.

The key to understand the Luck rating is that he is not the QB prospect with the most potential. He is the QB prospect with the LEAST amount of Risk. He will be a good QB.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

Locker is playing hurt and playing behind a dreadful OL. When the season is over and the evaluations get more detailed he will probably will regain some of the luster he has recently lost. The only issue I have with him is his accuracy. Is it questionable because he is constantly running for his life or is it just that he isn't a very accurate passer?

I've noted a rise in skepticism regarding Luck on this board after the win over Detroit was posted. Sounds like sour grapes.

No 'sour grapes' here - I've been extremely skeptical of Stanford's young sophomore 'Savior' since September.

Edited by The Senator

just do some research and find one person who says he will not unequivocally be the #1 pick if he comes out.

secondly try watching the kid play,i have watched him a lot and the kid is fantastic is coached by a great coach a former NFL QB who has had him running a pro style offense for 2 years now and he looks great doing it.

throw in he has all the physical intangabiles and the smarts and is not from california but texas whats there not to like. for the last 2 years every scout and pundit has been saying that this is the year to get your QB,i believe them.

what else do you want?

No 'sour grapes' here - I've been extremely skeptical of Stanford's young sophomore 'Savior' since September.

just ridiculous. all i can say is that you obviously have not watched him play because if you have then your comment makes you seem like a moron.

what there is not to like or to be sceptical about with this kid is beyond me.

Are you really surprised? Every single year pre draft there is a QB being touted as going #1 overall and being a sure thing, regardless of who that player is. Every single year – so this year its Luck (whether its warranted is a different argument) It was Snead three years ago – he wasn’t even drafted and is not even in the league. Stafford the next year – who eventually went #1. Last year was Locker, who didn’t declare and is more of a 3rd rounder or later anyways. Once he was out it was Bradford. Doesn’t matter who it is really, some Qb will be touted in this way.

just do some research and find one person who says he will not unequivocally be the #1 pick if he comes out.

secondly try watching the kid play,i have watched him a lot and the kid is fantastic is coached by a great coach a former NFL QB who has had him running a pro style offense for 2 years now and he looks great doing it.

throw in he has all the physical intangabiles and the smarts and is not from california but texas whats there not to like. for the last 2 years every scout and pundit has been saying that this is the year to get your QB,i believe them.

what else do you want?

just ridiculous. all i can say is that you obviously have not watched him play because if you have then your comment makes you seem like a moron.

One of the better posts on Luck. We should be so (excuse the pun) lucky to get him.

There is no one "Savior" player in this draft for the Bills because they are presently bereft of talent. Adding talent to the most important position on a team is certainly a way of moving in the right direction. I don't know if you have watched AL this year. Because if you have I don't know why you wouldn't be impressed with his command of the offense?

If you are making the argument that there is no sure thing in the draft then you can make the same case with any other player at any position. If you believe that Mallett is the better prospect then that is reasonable. So do a lot of other people.

Luck is a beast! I have watched him in numerous games now for a couple years and he really does have it all. As many people have already said though there is never a guarantee is in this league, but I could definitely see him becoming a good/great nfl quarterback. Now if we could just get Luck(even though I love Fitzy for as many years as it takes for him to develop), a couple of play makers on D, and some more help on both lines through the draft and free agency I would literally gizz in my pants because the Bills are fun to watch again and they seem to be getting better!!!

Now if we could just get Luck(even though I love Fitzy for as many years as it takes for him to develop), a couple of play makers on D, and some more help on both lines through the draft and free agency I would literally gizz in my pants because the Bills are fun to watch again and they seem to be getting better!!!

When your momma does your laundry how do you explain the distinct smell to her? Do your tell her that you just watched a Bills game? :oops:

The Bills aren't bereft of talent. The move to the 3-4 was a mistake, as was making Edwards the de facto starter all off- and pre-season, and losing Schobel's pass rush hurt, and those things set the Bills back a lot this year. Fitz isn't a franchise QB and potentially a franchise QB gets the wins that Fitz couldn't. But as I've said, there's no guaranteed on getting that franchise QB.

What there is to be 'sceptical' [sic] about is who the moron is here - congratulations on making my ignore list faster than anyone.

One of the better posts on Luck. We should be so (excuse the pun) lucky to get him.

I thought it was one of the sillier ones... "just watch him and you'll see...his coach is a former QB...he has all the 'intanglibles'...he's been playing a pro-style offense...if you don't love him like I do then you're a moron...blah...blah...blah ad nauseum..."

How 'bout some new insight - something the entire universe doesn't already know?

(Just watch the board turn on the poor young kid after Cal kicks Stanford's butt this weekend.)

Edited by The Senator

what else do you want?

Well,

I guess am just plain ridiculous that I haven't carved out time on Saturday's to dial in Pac-10 games and scout QB"s that may or may not come out and may or may not come to a team that may or may not have a first pick. I do watch College FB - because it is so much more exciting than the NFL....but what i have found lacking is the National Hype for Luck to match the hope on WGR55 and this for some on this board. I think there is way more talk about CN than Luck.

I just asked the question - is the national press thinking the same as the locals - because I don't see it. FWIW Colin Cowheard "may or may not know something" and hinted that AL wouldn't come to Buffalo because harbaugh hates the bills.

He also said that AL is the best prospect in 15 years - so there is my answer.

Edited by baskin

"Often when scouting NFL prospects, the more we see an elite player the more we're able to spot chinks in his body of work. That doesn't seem to apply to Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-10/draft-dish/story/draft-dish-andrew-luck-looks-better-all-the-time

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2010-09/heisman-watch/story/andrew-luck-the-next-great-quarterback

"Hes patient, hes thoughtful, and hes not in this just for the fame and sudden cash. Luck has everything else, too: At 6-foot-4, he has the ideal size for a drop-back NFL quarterback, he has the strong arm, and he has run Harbaughs prostyle scheme with veteran savvy...In my view, Luck is the best NFL quarterback prospect to come out of college since Eli Manning and Philip Rivers in 2004."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2010/11/17/stanfords-andrew-luck-looking-at-no-1-overall-if-he-wants-it/

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

"Often when scouting NFL prospects, the more we see an elite player the more we're able to spot chinks in his body of work. That doesn't seem to apply to Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-10/draft-dish/story/draft-dish-andrew-luck-looks-better-all-the-time

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2010-09/heisman-watch/story/andrew-luck-the-next-great-quarterback

"He’s patient, he’s thoughtful, and he’s not in this just for the fame and sudden cash. Luck has everything else, too: At 6-foot-4, he has the ideal size for a drop-back NFL quarterback, he has the strong arm, and he has run Harbaugh’s prostyle scheme with veteran savvy...In my view, Luck is the best NFL quarterback prospect to come out of college since Eli Manning and Philip Rivers in 2004."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2010/11/17/stanfords-andrew-luck-looking-at-no-1-overall-if-he-wants-it/

It all sounds eerily familiar to last year's Clausen-speak. Actually, the most telling quote you cited (partially) was...

Of course, part of the big-picture allure of Andrew Luck is that he’s the guy Harbaugh calls “the anti-celebrity quarterback.” He’s patient, he’s thoughtful, and he’s not in this just for the fame and sudden cash.

He may very will be a successful QB in the NFL some day - maybe even one of the better ones - after he finishes his Stanford degree and gets drafted in 2012.

Don’t worry guys, the Senator seems to hate Luck because A) people think he is good, and B) he hasn’t played enough games to possibly considered good.

I’m still waiting for him to come up with an objective reason for his hatred in all of the other Luck threads. PS Senator comparing a sports writers comments to ones said about Clausen are not objective to Luck.

Don’t worry guys, the Senator seems to hate Luck because A) people think he is good, and B) he hasn’t played enough games to possibly considered good.

I’m still waiting for him to come up with an objective reason for his hatred in all of the other Luck threads. PS Senator comparing a sports writers comments to ones said about Clausen are not objective to Luck.

Are you truly stupid? Where do you see - or have you ever seen - any hatred?

I don't hate Luck at all - quite the contrary. I think he's a fine young man, a gifted QB, and a brilliant student - who may very well turn into a great NFL QB some day.

What I do truly hate is all the crusade-like, non-stop fawning over this boy who will not enter the NFL draft until a year from April. You're a perfect 'case-in-point' - if I don't LOVE Andy, if I'm not just drooling all over myself at the prospect of him in a Bills uniform, then I must hate him! :wallbash:

Why don't you just move to Palo Alto and camp out on his doorstep? :rolleyes:

Edited by The Senator

Are you truly stupid? Where do you see - or have you ever seen - any hatred?

I don't hate Luck at all - quite the contrary. I think he's a fine young man, a gifted QB, and a brilliant student - who may very well turn into a great NFL QB some day.

What I do truly hate is all the crusade-like, non-stop fawning over this boy who will not enter the NFL draft until a year from April. You're a perfect 'case-in-point' - if I don't LOVE Andy, if I'm not just drooling all over myself at the prospect of him in a Bills uniform, then I must hate him! :wallbash:

Why don't you just move to Palo Alto and camp out on his doorstep? :rolleyes:

Here

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/123197-andrew-luckanyone-else-concerned-about-this/page__st__40

Maybe hate was the wrong word - how aboutreally clearly against? You do seem to be changing your tune though.

Edited by Thoner7

Here

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/123197-andrew-luckanyone-else-concerned-about-this/page__st__40

Maybe hate was the wrong word - how aboutreally clearly against? You do seem to be changing your tune though.

Wrong again! (Don't you ever tire of shooting yourself in the foot?)

Quite the opposite of ' changing my tune ', I am a model of consistency when it comes to Luck. I have never once questioned his skills as a QB - never. You can waste an evening - or a month - trying to find a post where I did, but I assure you it will be a waste of your time.

Nor will you find any ' hate ' - because I have none. (I actually like the kid a lot - just obviously not as much as you do, nor as much as I like Mallett).

What I have consistently maintained is that - being a red-shirt sophomore - Luck is extremely inexperienced, that Buddy Nix has clearly stated that his preference is for QBs with 30-35 starts and LOTS of BIG game experience, that no one has seen enough of Luck in his one and a half seasons in the PAC 10 to be heaping the ridiculous amount of worship he's getting (which, BTW, I'm pretty sure also makes Luck himself quite uncomfortable), and - finally - that all you guys in the Luck-Lovers Legion are wasting you're love on a guy who's going to finish his Stanford degree before entering the NFL draft in April 2012.

So instead of calling me a " hater " - just call me ' Mister, er, make that Senator Consistency '.

Edited by The Senator

Wrong again! (Don't you ever tire of shooting yourself in the foot?)

Quite the opposite of ' changing my tune ', I am a model of consistency when it comes to Luck. I have never once questioned his skills as a QB - never. You can waste an evening - or a month - trying to find a post where I did, but I assure you it will be a waste of your time.

Nor will you find any ' hate ' - because I have none. (I actually like the kid a lot - just obviously not as much as you do, nor as much as I like Mallet).

What I have consistently maintained is that - being a red-shirt sophomore - Luck is extremely inexperienced, that Buddy Nix has clearly stated that his preference is for QBs with 30-35 starts and LOTS of BIG game experience, that no one has seen enough of Luck in his one and a half seasons in the PAC 10 to be heaping the ridiculous amount of worship he's getting (which, BTW, I'm pretty sure also makes Luck himself quite uncomfortable), and - finally - that all you guys in the Luck-Lovers Legion are wasting you're love on a guy who's going to finish his Stanford degree before entering the NFL draft in April 2012.

So instead of calling me a " hater " - just call me ' Mister, er, make that Senator Consistency '.

Dude, we had 2 pages of debating in that link, where I and other posters clearly supported Luck and you argued against us? I said I liked him for XY and Z and you said I couldn't possibly know that bc he hadn't played enough games. How is that not questioning him? When I am pro Luck, and you take a stand opposite me, where does that put you? I even got my first PM ever because of it. In 2-3 years on this board I got my first PM about you and how you were responding negatively.

Now you're quoted calling him a "gifted QB" and someone "who may very well turn into a great NFL QB some day" So what is it? Is he a gifted QB or a guy no one has seen enough of to even form an accurate opinion? On top of that you are now making assumptions Nix wouldn't draft him bc of his # of starts, and are claiming to know with all certainty he wont be in the draft until 2012. Oh, and you now like a guy - Mallet - who also hasn't had 30-35 starts, AND who is equally likely to enter this draft than Luck (bc he is not as good, which will be revealed by that advisory committee).

Model of consistency? Senator, you are flip flopping more than former President hopeful Al Gore.

+1 I have been thinking the same thing. Locker will be our franchise QB.

Locker will be the next JP Losman, nothing more

In the event Luck ends up becoming a bust, he can sound like a genius, because he "knew" he would suck in college. If Luck ends up succeeding, then noone will ever remember he said it. The worst kind of poster, IMO...