Bills situation beyond hope

When I was able to take step back and take this season for what it was....it became a lot easier for me to live with what is happening.

This team needs more talent......we also need to figure out who the true losers are at this point and make sure they are not on this team next year.

My memory is a little rusty....could someone explain to me how people felt before we started our super bowl run? it seems to me that were were so bad that we were able aquire Bruce SAnd mith and Jim Kelly before we started getting good. And that is kinda my point....we had to be that bad in order to get the players we needed to make our Super bowl run....we are so used to years of "just below average" we have forgotten that.....7-9, 8-8, how many have we had....just enough to break our hearts every year.

I wonder how the rams feel about having that 1st overall pick this year.....that Bradford kid is looking pretty good.

Twenty five years ago, RW unknowingly hired the best GM in modern NFL history. That lucky move enabled Buffalo to go from bottom dweller to perennial NFL power in 3 seasons. Now, the team's future is in doubt and we're making comparisons to a time when RW was a spry 70 and had a legitimate NFL GM? Not even close.

Buffalo remains a doormat, because unlike 25 years ago, someone had a cogent vision for the future. Now, the future is in the hands of a 92 year old man. Different scenario entirely.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this guys article, and it mirrors what myself and others have been saying over and over and over on this board almost to a Tee! Anyone using their head and not his heart can't disagree with anything this guys says. His article is so 100% accurate, they might consider hiring him as the next GM (just kidding, sarcastically). What of his 9 items can anyone argue? The answer is none of them if you don't want to look lost and relatively new to the sport of football. This organization that we love is a disfunctional mess. Ralph has hired the cheapest, unsuccessful coach and GM available, so much that he must have had to overturn a rock to find them. Spiller might be a great NFL player, but he was a luxury pick, and two-this coaching staff has absolutely no clue how to use him. Like the article says, he should have as many touches a game as he does all year so far. He is right too, in that no coach that has any success at all in the NFL wants nothing to do with coaching here, thanks to the mess that Ralph has turned this organization into. The only hope here is that cheap ass Ralph eventually hires a coach and GM on the cheap like he always has and always will and they turn out to be the next Bill Polian and Marv Levy. I have voiced my opinion on the way he has handled the Trent Edwards situtation as borderline, retarded. Not that he released him, but in three weeks time he went from the unquestioned starter, to released? This franchise has no plan, no clue, no direction mapped out, just treading mudd to make Ralph money. It really is sad, because the articles description of Bills fans is spot on too, otherwise the stands would be entirely empty, not just just blacked out on TV, which is what Ralph deserves. As a Bills fan of over 40 years, it hurts to say it, but being honest, there is no hope for this franchise.

Edited by billsfreak

Really & truly Green Lightning, when you mention Christ, you should be talking to Him...not us. If it weren't for Him, I might really be upset about my football team... and not the past...the present! Also, NO...ain't rootin' for the Pats, but thanks for the suggestion. It's not about purging...it's about bad football decisions. In less than 24 hours we'll be 0 & 6... this wouldn't be if good football decisions had been made. My plan is simple...put smart football people in charge. It's not rocket science!

And as I wrote, you're not going to get a different FO than the one we have for years. So why shout at the shore trying to turn back the tide? Again, learn to deal with it and see that it may not all be doom and gloom. I don't care who they brought in as GM or coach, this team was going to suck this year. All I'm saying is you can scream and cry every week for the next 11 weeks or you can live in the moment and understand where we are and find some joy in the rebuilding. You're choice, your ulcer.

So your argument against hiring a former director of college of scouting as a GM is to tout a guy who was promoted to GM from being director of college scouting?

Also, why would Dimitroff leave the Falcons? GM to president isn't a true promotion. He'd have the same duties as president of Buffalo as he does in Atlanta.

If you actually read what I posted It said that RW has been trying to find another Bill Polian in guys that have no business being a GM, in both Nix and Donahoe. Neither of those two held a job as GM or president previously, and one was actually fired as a director of scouting before getting hired and promoted to GM / president.

While Thomas Dimitroff of the Falcons has already proven his football acumen in taking a team that went 4-12 and turned them around in one year to 11-5, with his hires, draft and free agents. Unlike the Miami Dolphins who have Bill Parcells as president to thank for their turn around. He hired Mike Smith to be HC, anyone actually hear of the guy before that hire? He drafted Matt Ryan as QB and hired Mike Mularkey to run his offense. He brought in FA RB Michael Turner and a slew of other good draft picks and free agents. The turn around of the Falcons from worst in the division to 11-5 and playoffs was no accident, the guy knew exactly who to hire and draft, if anyone in the NFL deserves to be called another Bill Polian in the making its this man. HC Mike Smith was named coach of the year and rookie QB Matt Ryan was named rookie of the year

Pretty certain being named president is an upgrade from GM, higher job title along with total control over football operations, something he doesn't have now.

The only real question is "IF" he would take the job in Buffalo, as long as RW is alive I highly doubt anyone with any kind of smarts would want to work for Wilson, a notoriously cantankerous, and meddling owner.

'

How is there no hope? Whenever Ralph moves on from his ownership in what ever way, this will be a whole new franchise, especially if Jim Kelly and his group buys them. I don't see them moving because they've proven for the past 50 years that they're not only a substantial market, but a successful one. If any team moves it'll be the jaguars to L.A. The Bills moving would potentially lose money for the NFL, and I don't see the owners risking that. This to me is just a waiting game, hold on until the day we finally gain new ownership and we'll finally be on even par with the rest of the league.

My memory is a little rusty....could someone explain to me how people felt before we started our super bowl run? it seems to me that were were so bad that we were able aquire Bruce SAnd mith and Jim Kelly before we started getting good. And that is kinda my point....we had to be that bad in order to get the players we needed to make our Super bowl run....we are so used to years of "just below average" we have forgotten that.....7-9, 8-8, how many have we had....just enough to break our hearts every year.

I wonder how the rams feel about having that 1st overall pick this year.....that Bradford kid is looking pretty good.

Kelly had been drafted but defected to the USFL. The first thing Polian did while filling in for Terry Bledsoe was to sign Bruce Smith. After Polian was made GM he replace Hank Bullough, signed Jim Kelly and the team improved from 2-14 to 4-12. He was very active in trades to move in the draft and get the people he wanted and not reach for them. The team improved. It didn't get worse. Polian didn't have the luxury of free agency to turn things around.

Buddy Nix has done nothing to instill any confidence. The defensive line has gotten worse. The offensive line sucked and still sucks. The receiving corps has gotten worse. He didn't address the QB position. He continues to make moves that reinforce the fact that he made some horrendous decisions as GM (hiring Gailey, switching to the 3-4, cutting the starting QB just weeks into the season, extending the contract for a lousy linebacker, Ellis's drop in the depth chart to being cut altogether).

Many of us knew that Levy and Jauron sucked when they chose Whitner over Nagata, because in Jauron's defense you build from the strong safety out. You don't have to wait 3 years to realize the same about Nix and Gailey. They have made it abundantly clear and continue to do so every week.

I love how guys like Schein still point to Nix failing to draft a QB and/or LT yet every QB or LT available to us at #9 would have been a reach and likely would have set this team back even further. All this is writers trying to top each other bashing the Bills.

PTR

Christ! Between Enuf, Vet and Darth we all should be ovulating. Quite the little downward spiral of woe and anquish! You know boys,we suck, the world knows it and it's irresistible for media to pile on. But if you guys have a better plan than to purge the crap we've accumulated and build anew, please enlighten the rest of the board.

You guys are living in the past and the past ain't pretty. You didn't get any of the mythological GM's and coaches you wanted. Boo frickety-hoo. So you got some choices: Root for the Pats or whomever, rage against the machine with these pity-party threads or strap in for the rebuild Buddy-style. You have to pick it....it aint' going to change you you all have only so much stomach lining to burn.

And here is exhibit A on why and how Russ Brandon is considered a marketing genius. Green Lightning will buy the Bills crap all day long. After all, if you can sell people who's standards are this low.......

How is there no hope? Whenever Ralph moves on from his ownership in what ever way, this will be a whole new franchise, especially if Jim Kelly and his group buys them. I don't see them moving because they've proven for the past 50 years that they're not only a substantial market, but a successful one. If any team moves it'll be the jaguars to L.A. The Bills moving would potentially lose money for the NFL, and I don't see the owners risking that. This to me is just a waiting game, hold on until the day we finally gain new ownership and we'll finally be on even par with the rest of the league.

If the Jags were gonna move to LA, they could have done it by now. So, if the Jags are going to move, when's it going to happen? Because LA has been looking for a team.

If you actually read what I posted It said that RW has been trying to find another Bill Polian in guys that have no business being a GM, in both Nix and Donahoe. Neither of those two held a job as GM or president previously, and one was actually fired as a director of scouting before getting hired and promoted to GM / president.

While Thomas Dimitroff of the Falcons has already proven his football acumen in taking a team that went 4-12 and turned them around in one year to 11-5, with his hires, draft and free agents. Unlike the Miami Dolphins who have Bill Parcells as president to thank for their turn around. He hired Mike Smith to be HC, anyone actually hear of the guy before that hire? He drafted Matt Ryan as QB and hired Mike Mularkey to run his offense. He brought in FA RB Michael Turner and a slew of other good draft picks and free agents. The turn around of the Falcons from worst in the division to 11-5 and playoffs was no accident, the guy knew exactly who to hire and draft, if anyone in the NFL deserves to be called another Bill Polian in the making its this man. HC Mike Smith was named coach of the year and rookie QB Matt Ryan was named rookie of the year

Pretty certain being named president is an upgrade from GM, higher job title along with total control over football operations, something he doesn't have now.

The only real question is "IF" he would take the job in Buffalo, as long as RW is alive I highly doubt anyone with any kind of smarts would want to work for Wilson, a notoriously cantankerous, and meddling owner.

'

Donahoe was Director of football operations in Pittsburgh. That's a fancy name for GM in case you were wondering.

I love how guys like Schein still point to Nix failing to draft a QB and/or LT yet every QB or LT available to us at #9 would have been a reach and likely would have set this team back even further. All this is writers trying to top each other bashing the Bills.

PTR

For your information, Schein is the furthest thing from a Bills basher. He most likely wrote the article because he cares. When I first started listening to Sirius NFL radio, I actually thought Schein was from Western NY. He ALWAYS speaks positive about not only the Bills, but also western NY. Until this year, he was about the only host that would somewhat try to cast a positive light on the Bills and they continued to burn him. Now, he's off the Bills bandwagon, like most of us are.

HOWEVER, he still speaks well of western NY, and always of the Bills fans, and frequently says that. He also is one of the only natioanl media guys that will give callers the time on the radio who call in to talk Bills football when no one else in the country cares.

Schein is one of the good guys of the Bills fan!

The sad part of the article is that it is 100% dead on. The Bills are at the lowest part of there history right now. :wallbash:

Sadly, I was in denial as much as one could possibly be but the light is on and the roaches are scurrying about. And it is the lowest part of their history....

Twenty five years ago, RW unknowingly hired the best GM in modern NFL history. That lucky move enabled Buffalo to go from bottom dweller to perennial NFL power in 3 seasons. Now, the team's future is in doubt and we're making comparisons to a time when RW was a spry 70 and had a legitimate NFL GM? Not even close.

Buffalo remains a doormat, because unlike 25 years ago, someone had a cogent vision for the future. Now, the future is in the hands of a 92 year old man. Different scenario entirely.

OK your point is taken.....I think Ralph DID get luck with the GM....but your leaving out the part that along with the GM he also had top draft picks to work with has he biult the team.

In a way....I feel like he went back to the source a bit on the GM.....His first GM was known as a excellent evaluator of draft talent....so is Buddy Nix. That is why I have hope for the future of this team....I feel like we have someone in charge who WILL do the right thing with that number 1 pick.....

I really don't understand how any Bills Fan could find much fault with that article...Heck it even seemed like the guy is reluctantly bashing The Bills...Even if he's correctly bashing them...He makes a bunch of great points and honestly, I just don't understand why Bills Fans are not seriously questioning whether or not this needs to be a one and done for Nix/Gailey. Especially considering they have given us the recent Kelsay extension, and if these reports are correct on the Lynch Trade...well...I just don't know what to say about that...I give up...

This is an Organization by most accounts in complete and total disarray...I was willing to give Nix and Gailey the benefit of the doubt, but in a VERY short time they have ripped through their honeymoon period with bizarre moves, horrible judgement, or lack of action...It's freaking embarrassing... B-)

I was roommates with Schein's buddy when i lived in NYC about 6 years ago. Good guy. He's a Syracuse grad, lives in NYC and likely went to college with a ton of Bills fans and lived in the region where he could see how big the Bills are locally.

He is likely one of the better voices when it comes to giving Bills fans props, but not sugar coating the sad truth : that the Bills are a laughingstock and the owner has mismanaged the team for over a decade.

Hard to find any fault with anything he says. All we can hope for is a stud QB to build around. At this stage, I'm fine with 1-15, 0-16 whatever, just draft a QB to build around.

And here is exhibit A on why and how Russ Brandon is considered a marketing genius. Green Lightning will buy the Bills crap all day long. After all, if you can sell people who's standards are this low.......

That's not entirely true, not for me anyway. I don't think the world is falling down and I don't think enough has happened to dismiss Nix and Gailey. For the record, I was against the Nix and Gailey hirings (far more against Gailey than Nix), but that doesn't mean I have to go overboard on every opinion I have of the team and run these guys out of town before they have time to do anything.

That said, I haven't spent a dime on the Bills (not including cable and NFL replay, which wasn't purchased for the Bills specifically) in at least 5 years (probably closer to 10, can't remember exactly). I love the team, but I'm not going to support them financially until they show they can at least ACT like a competent NFL franchise.

Brandon has no hold over me, being a Bills fan does. I go though the agony of a loss every single week and come back for more because I have no choice. I do have a choice in spending money on for the heartbreak.

I just laugh at people who start Bashing Nix and Gailey in year one....I understand that we are frustrated as fans at what this team has done for the past decade.....but but for christ sake

- People were calling for change in the front office....YOU HAVE CHANGE.....Yes the owner hasn't changed sorry about that but they did in fact hire a GM.....they made a play for some other head coaches (they turned us down remember) and settled on a HC who had a precident of turning offenses around.

- People were complaining all last year that we were not playing a 3-4 defense because it is so great....well...does anybody stop to realize it takes TIME to get the players to run a 3-4 defense? It dont happen overnight...not to mention the fact they totally wiffed a a number one pick (the year before Nix and Gailey and how whould the LB that Modrak wanted look in a 3-4 defense) If our busted DE/OLB was playing at an even adaquate level then this defense would be looking different....then you have the retirement of Aaron Schrobel who must likely have been removed to OLB. Things happened. Rookies like Moates should not be asked to be difference makers immediately...its the product of bad drafting BEFORE Nix and Gailey came on board.

- If our offense had a adaquate Right Tackle it would not be harped on as much as it is.....Cornell Green was a whiff no doubt

- The lack of a legit Tight End hurts this team

You have to give the new guys time to put the team together.....yeah it sucks that they came in on the @ss end of a very frustrating decade but that is not their fault....I see a front office that is moving pieces around the board....aquirement draft picks.....and understanding they need to have a losing season in order to get into the bluch chippers of the draft.....the team is getting worse this year because it needs to bottom out before it gets better.