Bills situation beyond hope

I just laugh at people who start Bashing Nix and Gailey in year one....I understand that we are frustrated as fans at what this team has done for the past decade.....but but for christ sake

I feel for people who keep buying into the 3 year rebuilding program after 3 year rebuilding program this organization sells.

I didn't think much of the Nix hire and every move he has made since then has reinforced my skepticism about him.

People were complaining all last year that we were not playing a 3-4 defense because it is so great....well...does anybody stop to realize it takes TIME to get the players to run a 3-4 defense?

I wasn't one of those people. Why did these football geniuses switch to the 3-4 when they didn't have the personnel to run it? Why didn't they get the personnel to run the 3-4 before switching? In this day of free agency, it doesn't take as much time as you make it out to be.

You have to give the new guys time to put the team together.....yeah it sucks that they came in on the @ss end of a very frustrating decade but that is not their fault....I see a front office that is moving pieces around the board....aquirement draft picks.....and understanding they need to have a losing season in order to get into the bluch chippers of the draft.....the team is getting worse this year because it needs to bottom out before it gets better.

I thought we did bottom out. With free agency, why does the team have to get worse before it gets better? Which GMs historically have tanked a team before actually turning things around? What has Nix done since he became GM to give you any confidence that he knows what he is doing?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Gailey even have a game plan on Sundays? I have never seen such a complete lack of a gameplan in my 30+ years of watching football! Even stinky dick had a better gameplan! CJ Spiller has only 20 carries in the first five games?! Are you kidding me! This team is in complete disarray and you still have fans making excuses for this FO. Unbelievable!

I just laugh at people who start Bashing Nix and Gailey in year one....I understand that we are frustrated as fans at what this team has done for the past decade.....but but for christ sake

- People were calling for change in the front office....YOU HAVE CHANGE.....Yes the owner hasn't changed sorry about that but they did in fact hire a GM.....they made a play for some other head coaches (they turned us down remember) and settled on a HC who had a precident of turning offenses around.

- People were complaining all last year that we were not playing a 3-4 defense because it is so great....well...does anybody stop to realize it takes TIME to get the players to run a 3-4 defense? It dont happen overnight...not to mention the fact they totally wiffed a a number one pick (the year before Nix and Gailey and how whould the LB that Modrak wanted look in a 3-4 defense) If our busted DE/OLB was playing at an even adaquate level then this defense would be looking different....then you have the retirement of Aaron Schrobel who must likely have been removed to OLB. Things happened. Rookies like Moates should not be asked to be difference makers immediately...its the product of bad drafting BEFORE Nix and Gailey came on board.

- If our offense had a adaquate Right Tackle it would not be harped on as much as it is.....Cornell Green was a whiff no doubt

- The lack of a legit Tight End hurts this team

You have to give the new guys time to put the team together.....yeah it sucks that they came in on the @ss end of a very frustrating decade but that is not their fault....I see a front office that is moving pieces around the board....aquirement draft picks.....and understanding they need to have a losing season in order to get into the bluch chippers of the draft.....the team is getting worse this year because it needs to bottom out before it gets better.

Yea well, keep laughing all the way to a winless season READ THE ARTICLE, it is the truth! Every move those two incompetents have made have been have been wrong moves at every single instance

Spiller pick, WTH says that we HAD to draft a LT at #9, the Bills could have drafted Anthony Davis and solidified the right tackle position for years. They could have drafted a center, Pouncey was there, could have drafted an OLB-WR-TE and any number of positions considering all the holes on the team, instead they draft for a position that already had 2 very good players. simply stupid

QB, why waste an entire off season on a guy and cut him 2 weeks into the season and not even get a player or pick for him, especially when you didn't upgrade the O line, they had to know he wouldn't get better behind that line, instead the line went downhill with Cornell Green at RT. complete waste of 6 months It could have been fitz or Brohm getting all those reps

Lynch, instead of trading him on draft day to get a player THIS YEAR and keep Bell, they trade him late in the season for a 4th and lose Bell, simply stupid

Cornell Green at 3 mill a year, worst free agent ever...

Drafting for the defense and switching to a 3-4 when clearly the weakest area of the team was the offense, Gailey was hired to specifically make the offense better, he made it worse!

People that state that the team needs to bottom out in order to get better are making excuses for an this incompetent regime, just because the HC & GM changed doesn't mean it got better . The GM even admitted he wasn't the smartest guy in the room, now I believe him.

Edited by Harvey lives

And here is exhibit A on why and how Russ Brandon is considered a marketing genius. Green Lightning will buy the Bills crap all day long. After all, if you can sell people who's standards are this low.......

Never bought into reading comprehension did we? Nobody is happy right now. But it is year one of a rebuild. So I find you death spiral and sky-is-falling tantrums laughable. Look, I'll say it again... Read closely. The FO ia not going anywhere for the next few years. They will be the ones calling the shots. DEAL with it. Even if you were 100% right - which you're not- it won't change the reality I just laid out. So whatcha gonna do junior- a primal scream thread weekly? This team will get better but it won't be soon.

Edited by Green Lightning

Never bought into reading comprehension did we? Nobody is happy right now. But it is year one of a rebuild.

So why has the team actually gotten worse? What moves has the FO made that gives you any confidence in their judgement?

The FO ia not going anywhere for the next few years. They will be the ones calling the shots. DEAL with it. Even if you were 100% right - which you're not- it won't change the reality I just laid out. So whatcha gonna do junior- a primal scream thread weekly? This team will get better but it won't be soon.

WooHoo!!! We are only 5 years away from respectability, maybe! 2 1/2 more years with the current crop of idiots and another 3 years of rebuilding with the next group.

With free agency

You keep saying this, but there were reasons why this was a horrible year for free agency. Not only that, but the Bills SUCK, and have sucked for a long time. And they play in BUFFALO! Even under the best of circumstances it isn't an easy place to recruit the most talented free agents.

This isn't Madden.

Edited by Faustus

You keep saying this, but there were reasons why this was a horrible year for free agency. Not only that, but the Bills SUCK, and have sucked for a long time. And they play in BUFFALO! Even under the best of circumstances it isn't an easy place to recruit the most talented free agents.

This isn't Madden.

Still not an excuse to actually make the team worse than it was.

Still not an excuse to actually make the team worse than it was.

No, but changing an entire organization and getting rid of a bunch of players that don't fit with the new system is.

Yes, there are growing pains when your team is devoid of talent and your entire coaching staff changes...along with offensive and defensive systems.

Lets be real clear, Nix and Gailey aren't just filling a few holes and moving on. They're basically having to rebuild a team from the ground up...without the benefit of an expansion draft (as others have pointed to JAX and Carolina as examples of how things should have been done).

I'm certainly not confident that Gailey and Nix are capable of pulling this off, but no matter who's doing it, it's going to take more than 1 friggin off-season to do it!

So why has the team actually gotten worse? What moves has the FO made that gives you any confidence in their judgement?

WooHoo!!! We are only 5 years away from respectability, maybe! 2 1/2 more years with the current crop of idiots and another 3 years of rebuilding with the next group.

Never been through a rebuild have you? When you cut vets and changeover systems you take a few steps back before you improve . What don't you get here? We were a bad team that is being dismantled to build with new drafted players and some FAs. If you can't handle it - move on junior.

Never been through a rebuild have you?

Yes I have. The Bills have been rebuilding for 10 years junior.

When you cut vets and changeover systems you take a few steps back before you improve . What don't you get here? We were a bad team that is being dismantled to build with new drafted players and some FAs. If you can't handle it - move on junior.

Good coaches will choose a system that fits their players. Good GMs will bring in players to play in the system. The coach and GM have failed on both counts, junior.

No, but changing an entire organization and getting rid of a bunch of players that don't fit with the new system is.

The entire organization has not been changed. Ralph, Littman, Brandon, Overdorf and Modrak the Magnificent are still in place.

Good coaches will choose a system that maximizes the talents of the players they have. They didn't have to do whole scale changes before acquiring players that could play in the system.

I agree with you scraps. I'm not buying this "rebuilding" excuse anymore. what exactly are we rebuilding from? We have sucked for 10 years! That isn't rebuilding, that's maintaining. Name 5 players on this team that you can "build" around. I dare you to come up with just five. This last draft has sucked so far. Will they be starters in the future? Who knows. So far I can't say I see to much from them.

OK your point is taken.....I think Ralph DID get luck with the GM....but your leaving out the part that along with the GM he also had top draft picks to work with has he biult the team.

In a way....I feel like he went back to the source a bit on the GM.....His first GM was known as a excellent evaluator of draft talent....so is Buddy Nix. That is why I have hope for the future of this team....I feel like we have someone in charge who WILL do the right thing with that number 1 pick.....

There are similarities between Polian and Nix. Neither had been a football GM before.

Both had worked for the Bills for a couple years in a lesser capacity and were "promotions from within".

Both were known as strong evaluators of talent.

That said.....there are serious differences.

When Polian became GM of the Bills, he was an ambitious, driven 40 year old primed to prove himself, make the most of his opportunity, and build a super-successful career.

And he has. One of the first things Polian did, was overhaul the scouting and talent evaluation.

When Nix became GM of the Bills, he was coming out of retirement. He's 70 years old. He's had a career, had a life. Can he really have the same "fire in his belly" and desire to prove himself

that pushed Polian to be so successful? Can he relate reasonably to younger players? And, Modrak is still here. It's not clear where the buck stopped on the actual draft decisions, but it's troubling.

Just stuff I see.

Lynch, instead of trading him on draft day to get a player THIS YEAR and keep Bell, they trade him late in the season for a 4th and lose Bell, simply stupid

This is the one that gets under my skin.

I can almost accept the rebuild or rookie GM excuses for everything else.

But this ... this bit of incompetence infuriates me.

This is the one that gets under my skin.

I can almost accept the rebuild or rookie GM excuses for everything else.

But this ... this bit of incompetence infuriates me.

You really that upset about Bell??? He played well in the preseason but guys do that every year and don't amount to anything (hello Lionel Gates). And the Bills wanted to see if Lynch could help them win football games and if his value would go with injuries around the league. I have zero problem with the Lynch trade, especially considering a HOFer like Moss gets trade for a 3rd and he isn't one more strike from a yearlong ban.

You really that upset about Bell??? He played well in the preseason but guys do that every year and don't amount to anything (hello Lionel Gates). And the Bills wanted to see if Lynch could help them win football games and if his value would go with injuries around the league. I have zero problem with the Lynch trade, especially considering a HOFer like Moss gets trade for a 3rd and he isn't one more strike from a yearlong ban.

I am upset about the entire Lynch situation and how, in my opinion, it was criminally mishandled in every way.

Lynch was not a rookie. Nix in particular should have know what he was capable of. And Nix also knew he wanted Spiller and should have had a plan in place and ready to execute draft day for if Spiller was still on the board when the Bills were up (which of course he was almost certainly going to be). You know, like a good (or at least competent) GM would do.

Edited by CodeMonkey