The more I think about this the more certain I am

And that may end up being what it will be......

I think that if we targeted the RIGHT free agents and combined it with a strong draft....we could compete for a wildcard next year

I am just wondering if there is any chance Ralph does that.

Remember the year under Wade Phillips when Mr. Wilson actually allowed us to bring in Ted Washington, Jim Jeffcoat, Chris Spielman (This might have happened over a couple of years)

I am not talking about Washington Redskin type spending....but if you targed certain free agents and then added it to a strong draft that is when you can make some magic happen......what you are trying to do is create real NFL caliber type competition at positions......

I dont know....its late and Im frustrated with this team. Just thinking out loud.

I think that if we targeted the RIGHT free agents and combined it with a strong draft....we could compete for a wildcard next year

Remember the year under Wade Phillips when Mr. Wilson actually allowed us to bring in Ted Washington, Jim Jeffcoat, Chris Spielman (This might have happened over a couple of years)

I am not talking about Washington Redskin type spending....but if you targed certain free agents and then added it to a strong draft that is when you can make some magic happen......what you are trying to do is create real NFL caliber type competition at positions......

I dont know....its late and Im frustrated with this team. Just thinking out loud.

Well do consider Dwan Edwards one of the right free agents? He has been playing pretty solidly so far.

John, it seems that the free agent class this year was pretty sparse, as I recall.

There were just not many options - a few guys "we" clamored for, but generally slim pickins...

I am hoping for two front 7 players on D and either a RT or a reliable blocking TE with at least average recieving skills on O in the next free agency. None have to be superstars, but at least on a Dwan Edwards talent level. Not too much to ask for IMO.

John, it seems that the free agent class this year was pretty sparse, as I recall.

There were just not many options - a few guys "we" clamored for, but generally slim pickins...

One of the reasons for that was the nullification of the CBA by the owners.

This year players were not considered FAs unless they had six years in the league as opposed to the normal four years.

There were a couple of hundred players that would have shopped their services around looking for that big pay day - but couldn't.

Problem w/ building thru the draft is about all you can hope for is 2 impact players and maybe another couple of solid contributors. Note that this yr thus far we have NONE in either category IMO (they may however, improve so that by NEXT yr they're valuable).

Considering we're maybe 8-10 players away, you do the math.

You're right in that I think "building thru the draft" virtually ASSURES it'll take at least 3 yrs. And while that time lapses, you also lose other contributors.

Problem w/ building thru the draft is about all you can hope for is 2 impact players and maybe another couple of solid contributors. Note that this yr thus far we have NONE in either category IMO (they may however, improve so that by NEXT yr they're valuable).

Considering we're maybe 8-10 players away, you do the math.

You're right in that I think "building thru the draft" virtually ASSURES it'll take at least 3 yrs. And while that time lapses, you also lose other contributors.

You are right, you can't build an entire team through the draft so it is a misnomer as a plan. I guess the idea is that you build your core through the draft QB, OTs,DEs and corners the rest you fill in with lower priced free agents and lower draft picks, maybe a big one if you are close to going deep in the playoffs.

I am hoping for two front 7 players on D and either a RT or a reliable blocking TE with at least average recieving skills on O in the next free agency. None have to be superstars, but at least on a Dwan Edwards talent level. Not too much to ask for IMO.

I think your premise is dead on. The rebuild has to focus on the draft but you just can't stay out of the FA market. Dwan was a good pick up. I'm hoping for a LB and RT and maybe a WR at least. I want to see what the Nelson's can do at TE and WR before spending FA bucks on the positions however. The front 7 is just horrible.

STarting with what we had on the day that Chan took over, if we had used free agency, trade and a strong draft we could have made the playoffs this year. Stay with a 4-3 keep Schobel, sign Dansby and our defense would have been quite good. Get Vick, keep TO and Evans and Lynch/Jackson running backs with a strongly shored up offensive line and maybe even an adequate tight end, and we've have been running with the big dogs.

i think you target a guy like david harris to anchor our lb corp and then a guy like logan mankins to anchor our o line. minn did it with hutchinson and the jets did it with faneca. a stud guard who came in and elevated the young but talented guys into a solid line. these are high price guys but we saw the bills do it with walker a few years back so who knows maybe ralph is pissed off enough to open the wallet.

Next year is the year to make some substantial FA pick ups after the CBA thing this year there are quite a few more than usual and no where near as many RFAs. I am particularly excited about the LBs available. Sorry I had a link before but I can't find it now. FWIR there are not that many decent OTs, so we will draft one or more IMO. I also expect picking up a TE as even if Nelson is good we need two (If trends like what NE started this year are any indication).

The 2010 UFA class was sparse, so it's hard to hold it against them for not spending mega dollars just before a new CBA. That said, there will be a new CBA and I would think a team going on 11 straight seasons without a playoff appearance would make an attempt to find some quality players.

Filling 2-3 positions of need in UFA allows them to use the draft to build, not maintain as they've used the selection weekend to do. I would think Doug Whaley is an improvement over Guy, and RW holds true to his promise to bring a winner to Buffalo. If they don't, that's tells a story that what they say isn't they're doing behind the scenes. It should never take 3 years to rebuild in the free agency era. Well, that is if you're more concerned with selling the team and profiting in the short term

i think you target a guy like david harris to anchor our lb corp and then a guy like logan mankins to anchor our o line. minn did it with hutchinson and the jets did it with faneca. a stud guard who came in and elevated the young but talented guys into a solid line. these are high price guys but we saw the bills do it with walker a few years back so who knows maybe ralph is pissed off enough to open the wallet.

We were among the more active teams in free agency and already had one of the highest player turnover from last year. Granted we were generally going for the value picks, but we reportedly put in offers on some higher level players like Donovan McNabb. But with so few players available, and MUCH fewer high quality players available the competitions was pretty high for them. Since we are in a rebuild mode with a new staff, I agree with the don't overspend until you know what you've got and what you need philosophy. For a perfect fit, I'm still happy to overspend, hopefully they'll feel the same.

I suspect we'll be active next year as well, as we have a lot of holes to fill.

Let me just think out loud, too.

If competing for a wild card next year were our ultimate goal, maybe this would be a good idea. Instead, their ultimate goal is to be competing for a Super Bowl spot, say, around 2013. So, no thanks. I'll take another crappy year and more high draft choices, honestly.

They've made it clear they're building through the draft and for the long term (this part comes from Mr. Wilson in his recent PC), so while I'm sure they'll continue filling in with low- and medium-priced FAs, as they have said they will, I don't expect short-term FA fixes. And I'm glad. Think long-term, FO, long-term.

People you have to understand that until we start getting some quality players in the draft and/or a stud QB no good Free Agents will want to even come here. We haven't been to the playoffs in over 11 years and we don't have a QB worth a damn. Who in their right mind would come to Buffalo? Guys like Cornell Green and Torver who are not players high on any other teams list. Believe me, Buffalo wants better FA's and Ralph IMO is not cheap. But until players around the NFL see that were building something here or have a QB in place we will be the last team any of them would choose to play for.

The 2010 UFA class was sparse, so it's hard to hold it against them for not spending mega dollars just before a new CBA. That said, there will be a new CBA and I would think a team going on 11 straight seasons without a playoff appearance would make an attempt to find some quality players.

Filling 2-3 positions of need in UFA allows them to use the draft to build, not maintain as they've used the selection weekend to do. I would think Doug Whaley is an improvement over Guy, and RW holds true to his promise to bring a winner to Buffalo. If they don't, that's tells a story that what they say isn't they're doing behind the scenes. It should never take 3 years to rebuild in the free agency era. Well, that is if you're more concerned with selling the team and profiting in the short term

agreed on all points.

I think your premise is dead on. The rebuild has to focus on the draft but you just can't stay out of the FA market. Dwan was a good pick up. I'm hoping for a LB and RT and maybe a WR at least. I want to see what the Nelson's can do at TE and WR before spending FA bucks on the positions however. The front 7 is just horrible.

In the upcoming draft or through trades the Bills have to come up with a franchise qb this offseason. If not, the fanbase is going to walk away. Getting a franchise qb in the draft doesn't necessarily mean that he is going to be thrown right away into the job. But what it does give the fans (and organization) is some future hope of success.

This organization is not going to splurge on some prominent free agent players. Most people acknowledge that reality and also agree with that approach, as I do. The Steelers stay within themselves and pursue good free agent players who can fit in within their system. They rarely sign the high profile type of free agent players.

What is really hurting the Bills in their ability to add talent to their very limited roster is the CBA situation. It hurt us last year with the free agent market and again will do so this offseason.

As bad as this season is going and probably continue on it is a good time to get some of the young players some playing time. As you stated both the Nelsons, Carrington, Troup and Wang need some seasoning so the organization has a feel for what their potential is. This season is also the year to make a determination as to whether Demetrius Bell is a legitimate LT or possible RT candidate or is he merely an adequate sub.