Another departure

JohnC

I think the problem is that people don't know how to react to situations on message boards.

If someone comes on here acting like a dick - go for it, be a dick right back to them.

If someone comes on here trying to have a legitimate conversation, it should be responded to in kind.

The problem is that people can't seem to differentiate when to be a prick and when to not be a prick on the internet.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787

I think the problem is that people don't know how to react to situations on message boards.

If someone comes on here acting like a dick - go for it, be a dick right back to them.

If someone comes on here trying to have a legitimate conversation, it should be responded to in kind.

The problem is that people can't seem to differentiate when to be a prick and when to not be a prick on the internet.

Folks forget sometimes, myself included, that we are all real individuals with different opinions and emotions, not just some meaningless avatar to poke at and make fun of whenever one gets the notion. The difference between us and folks like jw and Tim Graham is they sign their name to everything they say or do,it goes home with them at night and stays with them forever. Most of us have the luxury of hiding behind our mask with zero consequence.

For folks like jw to even try to communicate on our level is asking a lot in my opinion.

This is all becoming more disturbing every day.

First Graham departs because we bash him endlessly while he's good enough to take time and post here. Then Lori's frequenting of the board becomes less & less. Now Wawrow.

This combined with my wife's co-worker - he's a Jacksonville fan and went to the game last Sunday. He was treated worse than garbage before, during, and after the game. His wife (who went with him, even though she doesn't care for football too much) was actually afraid of being physically harmed. I'm beginning to think the Patriots* fan who filed a suit a few years back (I think) wasn't far off with his or his pregnant wife's stories.

I'm a fan of this team, but I'm completely embarrassed when I hear this stuff. What gives Bills fans the right to harass other team's fans when our team can't even win a game? What happened to civility & sportsmanship?

I take exception to your friends account of the game. He had to be sitting in some weird section or something, because even down in the cheap seats where that problem normally occurs, there wasn't even a hint of physical harm. Some razzing for wearing the pansy teal jerseys was evident, but physical harm?!? Geez, come on.

This is Buffalo, we are a blue collar town. What happened to this city? I'm happy that someone from Jacksonville had a less than pleasant experience at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Physical harm??? Please..... That's unacceptable anywhere, and I believe Buffalo fans are actually really cool, compared to all of the other stadiums I have been at with my Bills jersey on.

Anyway, I am truly sorry if your friend did encounter any type of physical confrontation, because that is just wrong. However, equating JW leaving a football message board of an 0-5 team, with the fact that Buffalo is nothing but hooligans is outrageous. Wow, talk about stretching it there...

College broadens your horizons and enhances your critical thinking skills. Never forget that.

You're right. Deciding on if you should do the fat broad at the end of the night can be a cause for critical thinking. Cause you KNOW your buddies are going to mock the living hell out of you when you get up the next morning.

THINK man, THINK!!! Because that memory will be with you the rest of your life. :bag:

I have learned that JW has decided to opt out of TBD. Someone who goes by the name of Chimp resorted to a personal attack (expletive) which got him banned from this board. So now Graham, Lori and JW have all come to the same conclusion that it is not worth their time to participate here.

Whether others agree or not with what they posted they don't deserve to be personally insulted for their views or responses. With their departures TBD is diminished by the loss of their insights and their inside contacts.

Once again the inmaturity of some lessen the true insights the rest can gain from this board. I will admit I am saddened but not surprised.

Edited by Lenigmusx

The climate on this Board is starting to jibe with my observation of the climate at Ralph Wilson stadium. I grew up in Buffalo and always will hold it dear in my heart, but I'm starting to think that Buffalonians - at least the "active" generation of internet users and tailgaters - are a bunch of sniveling, slobbering, drunken, uneducated, entitled SOBs who deserve the horrible product that they're rabidly obsessing about. akm0404 is a perfect example of this unfortunate species - I'm guessing he's in his 20s (or younger), thinks the world owes him more than he's gotten in life, and thinks rudeness is something to be admired or emulated. It's a generational thing (a sad one), as well as a symptom of the long decline of the WNY region, which was once a breadbasket of prosperity and good schools. I don't blame JW in the least.

And dont forget...all of us old fogies need to get with the now and be @icks to each other in order to communicate in modern times....

I'm not trying to say that it is a 'good thing' to get personal with people on a message board. I'm only saying that, by now, if you post on a message board, you should not be surprised and have a tantrum if someone calls you a bad name.

You should be even less surprised if you position yourself as some kind of expert or quasi-celebrity.

Actually yes you should be suprised because it violates TOS. Simple as that

I think folks like TG and jw should be given zapping rights, someone gets to disrespectful or bothersome, zap, out of here, like a bug.

I suppose Lori already has zapping rights and If I was her I would be lit up like a giant bug zapper right about now.

I agree Dog! The board is a lot to moderate.

This is just a bad route the board is going. I tried a few times to report a few posts but felt like a total snitch. I want to help police the boards but I do not want to weaken the voice of TSW/TBD.

I often find that the posters who date back pre-04 have a much different demeanor. Posters 05-08 are a little different. The posters since 09 have an incredibly different typing style. I know I am generalizing, but I am sure I am not the only one who sees this.

I value this board less today for it's football knowledge than ever before. Every day it is the same 5 major topics rehashed by people who do not look at older conversations. It is another 10 posts explaining how upset, sad, etc someone is with our performance has been and nothing important is said. I find it a sad day when PPP is full of less drama than TSW.

I miss the days of old football talk. Even in 03 when I joined I was an arrogant SOB. I had a few posts I thought I was going to get lynched or banned over. Personal attacks? I do not think so, I hope not at least? I know if I find a reply to one of my posts that I feel attacked by or unfairly responded to than I just do not post in the thread any more. Others should consider this, too.

This surprises me. From what I've seen of JW's posts in the past, he dished it out as much as anyone does on this site. He seemed to have a thick skin and seemed to enjoy mixing it up a bit with other posters. I missed what Chimp posted, but I gather it must have really crossed the line. I hate to see good posters go.

The only good thing about this is I go through these threads when someone quits and put ppl on my ignore based on how they respond to it, of course some ppl in this thread have already earned that.

When Die hard "quit" a bunch of ppl earned it, same with Lori. I wasn't really around much the week that TG quit.

Also using the report feature really does have an effect and if someone is being a dick, I don't see any reason for hesitation. It is snitching to say hey, this person doesn't know how to function in a society? No, it is common sense, the board monitors really can't and don't catch everything. It is the purpose of it, self policing on the board is kind of like a "neighborhood watch". I am all for freedom of expression until someone is a rude butthead.