Which QB WILL the Bills Draft and which QB SHOULD they draft

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we find ourselves picking with Luck on the board he's ours. Clearly the best prospect in this draft. The kid has great size, a great arm, mobility, from all accounts is intelligent and has been coached by one of the best QB coaches in the country.

If you have an opportunity watch him play, he looks like a young John Elway (without the freakish arm).

Question is whether he is coming out early or not.

Personally, and some of the more knowledgeable posters when it comes to college prospects say he will drop to the mid to late rounds, I like Greg McElroy out of Alabama. McElroy has thrown 26 TD's to 7 INT's from the 09 season up until current 010 and has a 169 QB rating. Greg McElroy QB's one of the best teams in the nation and to say he's a proven winner is an understatement, all Greg McElroy does is win football games.

So my best case scenario is to draft Mallet or Luck in the first, then back it up with Greg McElroy in the later rounds.

They could pick a QB in every round for all I care if it meant that position could be fixed for a decade. Not a bad idea to hedge the risk with multiple QB picks. They must not be in love with Brown as they cut him and didn't PS him (seem he was only brought back as worst case insurance) and my guess is if Brohm doesn't see the field soon, it doesn't bode well for him keeping his locker next year either.

one of those two guys will definitely make themselves eligible for the draft this year if not both. especially if they have strong seasons like they are having. The reality is that these guys are not really getting much of an education. they spend all their time playing football. They can go back and finish their joke degrees later or do summer programs while they are playing in the NFL as many players have done in the past. If they are still talking about these guys going top 5 in 2011, they are not going to pass up on $40 million dollars to finish their "education". Going back for another year is high risk, you have a bad season or get hurt and it can cost you $30 million or more.

I wouldn't spend any pick on Locker, he has bust written all over him. But I think the Bills will draft him.

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Stanford's academic standards might put their alum at little more than holders of "joke degrees".

I know what you're getting at, but I have a feeling a guy like Luck is really interested in his degree, even though he is an NFL QB offspring.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Well If were so high on draft picks, I would bet the house we trade out of the #1 spot and acquire a couple more draft picks. Sure we would miss out on the top QB or even top 2 QB's depending how far back were willing to trade, but If I'm the GM I trade out and get more picks.! Just my 2 cents....

I'm a little worried about the Bills drafting a QB if we don't have a sufficient line to protect him for a few years. It could retard his growth and prevent him from maturing. I feel like you always build from the lines out

Normally I would agree but I think that a franchise QB vs. a serviceable OT is a lot harder to find. Hopefully, this is the only year for a long time we are going to be drafting that high so I think we should use it to get a QB. I am very, very worried about Modrak making the pick though. At this point, I would trust Mel freaking Kiper's opinions on talent over Modrak. That pick will be the most important pick this franchise has made in years. They need to get it right.

I think Mallet is probably the guy I would go with if the draft were held today. Yeah he is a statue but so was Montana, Kelly, Marino, Rothlesberger, Payton and Eli and on and on. A big guy who sees the feel, throws rockets and can make a throw without all hell breaking loose around him may be just what we need. He doesn't need to run a 4.5 40, he just needs to be able to keep his eyes down field and feel the rush enough to make that step or two one way or the other that buys him that extra second.

I want someone who is emotionally tough, who can take a beating and keep on fighting. I think in the pre draft interviews we should sucker punch each QB candidate and any one who says "what did you do that for?" we eliminate and bump any guy who comes up swinging and mad as hell to the top of the list. I am tired of guys who are "students of the game" and who think they can be an all pro by spending more time watching films. I want a guy who doesn't care what defense you are running, doesn't care who is covering who and doesn't give a damn how many guys are blitzing, a guy who believes in his gut he is going to beat you no matter what you are doing.

It aint all X's and O's.

Edited by Mickey

one of those two guys will definitely make themselves eligible for the draft this year if not both. especially if they have strong seasons like they are having. The reality is that these guys are not really getting much of an education. they spend all their time playing football. They can go back and finish their joke degrees later or do summer programs while they are playing in the NFL as many players have done in the past. If they are still talking about these guys going top 5 in 2011, they are not going to pass up on $40 million dollars to finish their "education". Going back for another year is high risk, you have a bad season or get hurt and it can cost you $30 million or more.

I wouldn't spend any pick on Locker, he has bust written all over him. But I think the Bills will draft him.

Ponder=a senior this year.

I am really not understanding why people are all WE NEED AN OFFENSIVE LINE

We DO need linemen....but it isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be......

- We have our Left Tackle.....Bell is doing just fine at that spot...is anyone even watching?

- We have plenty of Center and Guard pieces....I think once Wood makes the transition to center....that position will be covered. We have guards.

- We NEED a Right Tackle...fine. RT's can be found in the 2nd-3rd round of the draft or through free agency.

- What do we NOT have on offense? How about a dependable pass catching Tight End that can block? How good would that Tight End from the Packers look on this team? THAT is the kind of guy we need.

- Fitz is actually moving the team....the problem is he is so damn inaccurate. What we need is a QB who can do what Fitz does AND be accurate. If you have a QB who will burn you by throwing to the area where a team blitzes from they will slow down the exotic blitzes and play more honest.

This team needs

a. A better QB

b. Another offensive weapon like a TE

c. Linebackers

Since it looks like the Bills will have the #1 pick or close to it, they should have their choice of any QB in the draft. Ralph seems to be saying that they plan to use the pick for a QB, so the question is:

Which QB SHOULD the Bills pick?

and

Which QB WILL the Bills pick?

To start it off, I think the Bills should draft Christian Ponder from Florida State

But I think the Bills will pick Jake Locker from University of Washington

The only thing I hate mroe this season than the Bills being so bad is the fact that the 49ers are so bad. I think the Bills should draft Andrew Luck from Stanford, but after the 49ers manage to have the worst record this year, they will take him and we'll be forced into taking Locker. Here's hoping the 49ers turn it around. :beer:

WE HAVE FITZPATRICK and nobody thinks we need to look at Brohm.

So, Stick with Fitz

Stick with Fitzpatrick if you are perfectly content having a back-up quality quarterback as the face of your franchise. Stick with Fitzpatrick if you are only interested in rebuilding back to 7-9. Stick with Fitzpatrick if you aren't interested in winning playoff games. Stick with Fitzpatrick if you don't care to be relevant for a decade.

LOL city.

Well If were so high on draft picks, I would bet the house we trade out of the #1 spot and acquire a couple more draft picks. Sure we would miss out on the top QB or even top 2 QB's depending how far back were willing to trade, but If I'm the GM I trade out and get more picks.! Just my 2 cents....

I like my way of thinking..! :worthy:

Normally I would agree but I think that a franchise QB vs. a serviceable OT is a lot harder to find. Hopefully, this is the only year for a long time we are going to be drafting that high so I think we should use it to get a QB. I am very, very worried about Modrak making the pick though. At this point, I would trust Mel freaking Kiper's opinions on talent over Modrak. That pick will be the most important pick this franchise has made in years. They need to get it right.

I think Mallet is probably the guy I would go with if the draft were held today. Yeah he is a statue but so was Montana, Kelly, Marino, Rothlesberger, Payton and Eli and on and on. A big guy who sees the feel, throws rockets and can make a throw without all hell breaking loose around him may be just what we need. He doesn't need to run a 4.5 40, he just needs to be able to keep his eyes down field and feel the rush enough to make that step or two one way or the other that buys him that extra second.

I want someone who is emotionally tough, who can take a beating and keep on fighting. I think in the pre draft interviews we should sucker punch each QB candidate and any one who says "what did you do that for?" we eliminate and bump any guy who comes up swinging and mad as hell to the top of the list. I am tired of guys who are "students of the game" and who think they can be an all pro by spending more time watching films. I want a guy who doesn't care what defense you are running, doesn't care who is covering who and doesn't give a damn how many guys are blitzing, a guy who believes in his gut he is going to beat you no matter what you are doing.

It aint all X's and O's.

Thank You! I feel the same way. In fact, that was what I hated most about Trent Edwards - the guy was a puss. He had no heart, no gut, no fire. I like a guy like Brady - as much as I hate him, too - who will look mad as hell when he's losing, who'll shout at his team until they're fired up. One of the reasons I enjoy football is that I believe there is more to the game than just muscle and brains - that people can rise above their limitations by virtue of their will to win, their toughness, their heart. A guy with passion, intensity, a will to win at any cost leading this team - that would be invaluable. That could elevate guys play. That would give us something to root for. Heck, even Jim Kelly had that fire, that determination, that insistence to go back out and win, damnit!

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Stanford's academic standards might put their alum at little more than holders of "joke degrees".

I know what you're getting at, but I have a feeling a guy like Luck is really interested in his degree, even though he is an NFL QB offspring.

Trent obviously definitely agrees obviously.

It aint all X's and O's.

I don't know about Mallet. I've heard the talking heads say lately there's a lot unknown about his attitude. They hinted that him leaving Michigan wasn't only because of Rich Rod and a scheme change...

Also, he didn't look too poised when a good defense made halftime adjustments against him vs. Alabama. I think Luck is the only viable #1 there, and I've also heard that his arm would be a question mark in Buffalo. Wind sucks for everyone, but a bit more for the guys w/o the cannons.

- We have our Left Tackle.....Bell is doing just fine at that spot...is anyone even watching?

I am John, and from where I sit Bell, while mobile, is too small, too weak to get much push, and can't lose his habit of commtiing untimely penalties. To put it another way, do you think that defensive ends around the league worry about facing Bell? Seriously. Jonas Jenning was a far better LT, let alone Peters.

In terms of the OP, I too am hoping for a QB in the 2011 draft, but I think they should also replace both OTs.