Which QB WILL the Bills Draft and which QB SHOULD they draft

one of those two guys will definitely make themselves eligible for the draft this year if not both. especially if they have strong seasons like they are having. The reality is that these guys are not really getting much of an education. they spend all their time playing football. They can go back and finish their joke degrees later or do summer programs while they are playing in the NFL as many players have done in the past. If they are still talking about these guys going top 5 in 2011, they are not going to pass up on $40 million dollars to finish their "education". Going back for another year is high risk, you have a bad season or get hurt and it can cost you $30 million or more.

I wouldn't spend any pick on Locker, he has bust written all over him. But I think the Bills will draft him.

You do realize that Christian Ponder has already earned a Bachelors and a master's degree, don't you? He enrolled in a doctoral degree program to maintain his last year of eligibility.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a team goes 0-16 you take the future hall of famer at the top of the board who will fit any of the 15 holes you have in your starting lineup. If that's QB, great. If it's a DE, LB or OT that's great too.

Unless one of the QBs shows he is the best in his class, maybe its not the year for a franchise QB. Drafting poorly got us into this mess. Chances are good we'll be picking in the Top 5 next year as well. If it looks like there's a better QB class next year, I have no problems waiting.

Edited by Endless Ike

Well I have no idea what the Bills first round draft position will be but if it's #1 overall, then they should - and will - pick Ryan Mallett.

If, OTOH, they don't draft a QB 'til rounds 3 or 4, they MIGHT pick Jake Locker (but shouldn't).

Agreed on the choice of Mallett. Now as to the Bills actually selecting him, that's another topic.

You do realize that Christian Ponder has already earned a Bachelors and a master's degree, don't you? He enrolled in a doctoral degree program to maintain his last year of eligibility.

I tthink there are several options next year for our first pick not neccesarily a qb and a guy like ponder is why. I do not see him being taken in the first rnd as locker mallett and luck (most likely to stay in school imo) will prob be rated in the first tier with kellen moore, pryor, and ponder being in the second tier.

I would not be upset w ot/dl first pick and one of those three second or third rnd. If after a year chan doesn't like what he sees we can pick one first rnd and voila we have our depth!

Personally, and some of the more knowledgeable posters when it comes to college prospects say he will drop to the mid to late rounds, I like Greg McElroy out of Alabama. McElroy has thrown 26 TD's to 7 INT's from the 09 season up until current 010 and has a 169 QB rating. Greg McElroy QB's one of the best teams in the nation and to say he's a proven winner is an understatement, all Greg McElroy does is win football games.

So my best case scenario is to draft Mallet or Luck in the first, then back it up with Greg McElroy in the later rounds.

Interesting concept as a way to hedge your bets in what is a very risky business. Only problem is the Bills have so many needs that I doubt they would ever draft 2 QBs in the same draft.

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Stanford's academic standards might put their alum at little more than holders of "joke degrees".

I know what you're getting at, but I have a feeling a guy like Luck is really interested in his degree, even though he is an NFL QB offspring.

He can complete his credits in the offseaon. Agree he will want a (Stanford) degree.

The only thing I hate mroe this season than the Bills being so bad is the fact that the 49ers are so bad. I think the Bills should draft Andrew Luck from Stanford, but after the 49ers manage to have the worst record this year, they will take him and we'll be forced into taking Locker. Here's hoping the 49ers turn it around. :beer:

They should certainly turn it around. They are the best 0-5 team I've ever seen talentwise and are light years ahead of us now(as are the Lions, Rams and Chiefs).

Stick with Fitzpatrick if you are perfectly content having a back-up quality quarterback as the face of your franchise. Stick with Fitzpatrick if you are only interested in rebuilding back to 7-9. Stick with Fitzpatrick if you aren't interested in winning playoff games. Stick with Fitzpatrick if you don't care to be relevant for a decade.

LOL city.

You obviously missed Another Point of Views Thread on "Its time to move on to Brohm" He got bashed.

I'm a little worried about the Bills drafting a QB if we don't have a sufficient line to protect him for a few years. It could retard his growth and prevent him from maturing. I feel like you always build from the lines out

You make a lot of sense of having a capable OL in place before getting the qb. But if you have an opportunity to get an exceptional prospect such as Andrew Luck, you seize the opportunity and then work backwards to get the OL in order. Bill Polian certainly didn't avoid drafting a premier prospect such as Peyton Manning because his current line was mediocre.

If Luck stays in school, which I believe he will do, and you have more highly rated players in other positions then I'm not adverse to drafting the better prospect. Not having a labor agreement is going to work against the Bills because some players who would declare for the draft won't for fear of a season long work stoppage. Last year, the reopening of the labor contract limited our ability to get players in the free agent market because the unrestricted free agents became restricted free agents. It seems that so many things work against the Bills. :angry:

Edited by JohnC

Personally, and some of the more knowledgeable posters when it comes to college prospects say he will drop to the mid to late rounds, I like Greg McElroy out of Alabama. McElroy has thrown 26 TD's to 7 INT's from the 09 season up until current 010 and has a 169 QB rating. Greg McElroy QB's one of the best teams in the nation and to say he's a proven winner is an understatement, all Greg McElroy does is win football games.

So my best case scenario is to draft Mallet or Luck in the first, then back it up with Greg McElroy in the later rounds.

McElroy's pocket presence alone make me hope they take a look at him along with Kellen Moore from Boise State.

We should take Andrew Luck.

We will take Denard Robinson from Michigan

A "Black" QB in Buffalo, yeah right!!

I want someone who is emotionally tough, who can take a beating and keep on fighting. I think in the pre draft interviews we should sucker punch each QB candidate and any one who says "what did you do that for?" we eliminate and bump any guy who comes up swinging and mad as hell to the top of the list. I am tired of guys who are "students of the game" and who think they can be an all pro by spending more time watching films. I want a guy who doesn't care what defense you are running, doesn't care who is covering who and doesn't give a damn how many guys are blitzing, a guy who believes in his gut he is going to beat you no matter what you are doing.

It aint all X's and O's.

I know you stated you wanted a guy who can feel the rush in your second paragraph, but this last one could describe JP Losman.

Andrew Luck is by far the best looking QB I've seen in a long time....best looking as in looks most like an NFL caliber QB. Mallet is inaccurate and I feel falls too much into a system QB. Locker I have not seen enough of...everyone else is a long shot.

Knowing RW, we'll either trade out of the pick or draft a shocker of an OL.

Oh, or draft Luck and not sign him until Sept 1st - thus rendering him useless.

Edited by otisly00

The Bills will likely take Mallet or Luck, personally I think Pryor fits us better for what we are and what we are trying to do. Mallet is really slow and I'm not excited at all to see a Cali QB in Buffalo. Pryor's ability to be mobile gives the back field something else to do while the O line is being rebuilt. I just see Mallet coming and having the same problems as every other QB we have had, no blocking, no foot speed, and a lot of rushed passes plus sacks. Something about the idea of Spiller, Pryor, and Jackson in a split back formation just gets my mind going in all different directions. Are we passing, bouncing it to the outside, handing it off to Jackson through the pile, or is Pryor going to see nothing down field and get out of there. Having to actually account for everyone will bring a little less pressure to the QB. Even out of the gun or in a sure pass situation I dont feel he has bad accuracy it took a slight dip from Fresh to Soph year of 4% but currently he is sitting around 68% this season with a 170.47 passer rating. His form after dropping back has changed over three years and is coming around, and then you cant forget that he has 4 of the 5 200 yrds passing + 100 yrds rushing games in school history in a 3 year period.

I know, I know...it's ludicrous - kind of like saying we'll have a "Black" President, or Governor, or Mayor, or School Superintendent, or Police Chief, or Fire Commissioner - or that a "Black" would be among the best golfers, female tennis players, or Formula One drivers (all "White" man's sports).

A lot of youngsters on this board, apparently - and, unfortunately, a lot of ignorance too...

James Harris

Harris was drafted in the eighth round of the Common Draft by the American Football League's Buffalo Bills, and would soon join fellow rookie O.J. Simpson in the starting backfield. Continuing the American Football League's more liberal (than the NFL's) personnel policies, the Bills made Harris the first black player to start a season at quarterback and the second black player in the modern era to start in any game as quarterback for a Professional Football team. Marlin Briscoe, of the AFL's Denver Broncos had been the first in 1968, and a few of Harris's completions in 1969 went to Briscoe, who, by that time, had been traded to the Bills and converted to a receiver.

Consider yourself 'enlightened' - now, can we please leave race out of the discussion? Nix, Gailey, and the entire Bills organization will draft and put on the field whatever players they feel give the team the best chance to win, regardless of race.

Edited by The Senator

one of those two guys will definitely make themselves eligible for the draft this year if not both. especially if they have strong seasons like they are having. The reality is that these guys are not really getting much of an education. they spend all their time playing football. They can go back and finish their joke degrees later or do summer programs while they are playing in the NFL as many players have done in the past. If they are still talking about these guys going top 5 in 2011, they are not going to pass up on $40 million dollars to finish their "education". Going back for another year is high risk, you have a bad season or get hurt and it can cost you $30 million or more.

I wouldn't spend any pick on Locker, he has bust written all over him. But I think the Bills will draft him.

Also something for Luck and Mallett to consider is the potential rookie wage scale being implemented in a new cba. IF this is a front line issue in negotiations and receives a lot of attention, they might consider coming out this year to get the big bucks.

GO BILLS!

McElroy's pocket presence alone make me hope they take a look at him along with Kellen Moore from Boise State.

Go back and check out something called history, the first black quarterback ever in the NFL played for the BILLS!

Marlin Briscoe

http://www.afrogolf.com/briscoe.html

The ignorance and subtle racism amazes me!!

GO BILLS!