Ron McDole stole my Cleats

Big game,1968- New York Jets at Buffalo. The players don't wear cleats till game time. You can break your neck.

I hear the introduction for the Bills players and I quickly run for my locker and my cleats are gone!!!!

Players had one pair in those days and we bought our own.

Oh God, now what? I slip on my black dress shoes and run on the field right as they call my name. McDole is standing on the sideline laughing " I like your new shoes,I left your cleats in the toilet and I flushed that sucker twice!!

I borrowed a pair from Abe Abramowski!

Edited by DIE HARD 1967

Big game,1968- New York Jets at Buffalo. The players don't wear cleats till game time. You can break your neck.

I hear the introduction for the Bills players and I quickly run for my locker and my cleats are gone!!Players had one pair in those days and we bought our own.

Oh God, now what? I slip on my black dress shoes and run on the field right as they call my name. McDole is standing on the sideline laughing " I like your new shoes,I left your cleats in the toilet and flushed twice!!

The days of the true football players vs pampered boys

I hear the introduction for the Bills players and I quickly run for my locker and my cleats are gone!!!!

Oh God, now what? I slip on my black dress shoes and run on the field right as they call my name. McDole is standing on the sideline laughing " I like your new shoes,I left your cleats in the toilet and flushed twice!!

Fantastic! Did you get him back?

debbie downer alert:

ok its funny and all, but wasnt it really a pretty dick thing for ron to do?

i mean you said

- you all only had one pair

- you bought your own

- youll break your neck if you dont wear them

and ron ruins them for you just before kickoff??

again, funny, but really pretty dick. couldnt he have done it before practice or figured out some other prank that wouldnt have left you in trouble minutes before kickoff? what did he expect you to do, did he know youd be able to borrow some (if everybody only had one pair)?

i love practical jokes like that but if it were me i woulda been like thats out of bounds dude

Edited by Meathead

debbie downer alert:

i mean you said

- you bought your own

again, funny, but really pretty dick. couldnt he have done it before practice or figured out some other prank that wouldnt have left you in trouble minutes before kickoff? what did he expect you to do, did he know youd be able to borrow some (if everybody only had one pair)?

i love practical jokes like that but if it were me i woulda been like thats out of bounds dude

You know anything about Ron McDole? Or 1960s football teams LOL this is almost tame.

here is a write up I found BTW I was an 8 year boy and there, all I remember is being crazy

Two Bills Drive | Buffalo Bills Forums | SabreSpace | Buffalo Sabres Forums

Home

News & Opinion

The Draft

Schedule

Fan Zone

History

Resources

Buffalo Sabres

About Us

September 29, 1968: New York Jets vs. Buffalo Bills

Historical Game of the Week

By Ken Crippen - Professional Football Researchers Association

Published: December 9th, 2008

September 29, 1968

New York Jets 35

Buffalo Bills 37

On September 29, 1968, the Buffalo Bills took on the New York Jets. The Bills had yet to win a game at that point, while the Jets were undefeated.

The Bills led 10-7 in the second quarter when the Jets recovered a Dan Darrah fumble deep in Buffalo territory. On the next play, Joe Namath attempted a pass to Curley Johnson, but it was intercepted by Tom Janik. “I was covering Curley Johnson all the way,” recalled Janik. “The ball was perfectly thrown. I hesitated for a split second, then stepped inside my man. All I saw was daylight.” Janik returned the interception 100 yards for a touchdown and the Bills were on top 17-7.

The defense again stepped up. On Namath’s next pass attempt, he was intercepted by Butch Byrd, who also returned it for a touchdown. However, the Bills were called offsides and the score was taken off the board.

A one-yard run by Emerson Boozer and a 55-yard pass from Namath to Don Maynard put the Jets on top 21-20 at the half.

In an exciting fourth quarter, Butch Byrd and Booker Edgerson intercepted Namath passes a minute apart; both being returned for touchdowns. The Bills were on top 37-28. With slightly over one minute left in the game, the Jets were on the Buffalo ten-yard line. Namath dropped back to pass and hit George Sauer in the endzone to close the gap. Time ran out before the Jets could score again and Buffalo took the 37-35 victory.

Buffalo would tie the Miami Dolphins a few weeks later, but would not win another game that disappointing 1968 season. Only two years removed from playing in the AFL Championship game, the Bills dropped hard. The Jets, however, would go on to beat the Raiders 27-23 in the 1968 AFL Championship game and on Namath’s bold prediction, they upset the Baltimore Colts 16-7 in Super Bowl III.

You know anything about Ron McDole? Or 1960s football teams LOL this is almost tame.

ok right. but i just think its funny how guys reminisce like this and make it sound all cool and jovial, but really i would be pissed. ive had some awesome practical jokes pulled on me and usually i just laugh my ass off, but if somebody is messing with your health or your job thats sorta different

i guess im just wondering if mystery bills alumni guy was pissed

Oh God, now what? I slip on my black dress shoes and run on the field right as they call my name. McDole is standing on the sideline laughing " I like your new shoes,I left your cleats in the toilet and I flushed that sucker twice!!

Hmm. I'll have to read "Tale of the Tape" again, I think Abe mentioned this in there.

Funny story.

Was that the game that Jim Dunaway scored on a blocked FG attempt?

Don't remember, its all a blur now.

I remember Butch Byrd running past the sidelines after an interception with that big smile on his face and I remember the shoes, sorry

debbie downer alert:

i mean you said

- you bought your own

Plain and simple you are a puss.

I kind of remember the game, I played pretty good!

If I remember right Butch returned an interception for 40 yards and we won 37-35 or something like that!

Were you on the team when volatile Lou Saban wanted to cut Cookie Gilchrist on the spot for refusing to go in the game?

I have felt for a long time that Lou Saban should be honored by being placed on the Stadium Wall. The peripatetic Saban had his quirks but there is no doubt that he was an important figure in the history of this very troubled franchise. My understanding is that the owner felt that Saban quit on him so that he would never allow that honor to be bestowed on the mercurial HC. What the owner doesn't understand is that LS was just an unusual fellow who always had the impulse to move on.

I will tell you one more story,

I attended a high School Football game in South Florida for a neighbors son about 4 years ago.

The head coach was an old man in his 80's I guess. He turned around and looked directly at me. He then calls time out and comes up in the crowd one step at a time as the crowd goes quiet, he then receives a 15 yard penalty. The fans boo and the coach just waves his arms and smiles.

It was Lou Saban

Edited by DIE HARD 1967

It is on this site didn't know I had to linky it.

And wow Diehard is on a roll :thumbsup:

I so wish they would of had a championship game against GB Lou vs Vince

Fondly recall that era too -better than Diehard, anyway..

I just don't think the '65-'66 Bills could have beaten Vince's Packers. We were huge underdogs in the '65 rematch w/ SD and we lost at home to KC in '66.

Now, the '64 team was a superpower! That year, Cleveland won the NFL title. THAT's a championship game I wish would have taken place.

debbie downer alert:

i mean you said

- you bought your own

I think he means you'll break your neck if you DO wear them (off the field when they can't dig in) and that's why they weren't on earlier.

I will tell you one more story,

I attended a high School Football game in South Florida for a neighbors son about 4 years ago.

The head coach was an old man in his 80's I guess. He turned around and looked directly at me. He then calls time out and comes up in the crowd one step at a time as the crowd goes quiet, he then receives a 15 yard penalty. The fans boo and the coach just waves his arms and smiles.

It was Lou Saban

are you ron mcdole?

Die hard says he was on the Bills from 67 - 72 (I think it was) McDole was a bill from 63 - 1970 he played for Geo. "the time is now" Allen in Washington until 78. He was an Olier before Buffalo drafted in 61. 61-78 pretty long career for a DE.

Interesting trivia about Ron: has the most interceptions by a lineman, with 12. Teammate Sonny Jurgensen gave him the nickname "The Dancing Bear" after showing off his moves at a Georgetown nightspot.

I kind of remember the game, I played pretty good!

If I remember right Butch returned an interception for 40 yards and we won 37-35 or something like that!

I was 6 years old, and that was my the first Bills game my dad took me too. We won 37-35 to beat the Jets because we had 3 INT's for TD's including one of 100+ by Tom Janek.

That was the year the Jets won the Super Bowl, and that was the Bills' only win the entire year!