Where do Good QBs Come From?

Let's look at QBs in the NFL that stand to have good careers that last many seasons and feature a Pro Bowl (based on my own personal opinion), and what round they were drafted in.

Philip Rivers - 1st round

Peyton Manning - 1st

Donovan McNabb - 1st

Eli Manning - 1st

Carson Palmer - 1st

Aaron Rodgers - 1st

Matt Ryan - 1st

Jay Cutler - 1st

Mike Vick - 1st

Brett Favre - 2nd

Drew Brees - 2nd

Matt Schaub - 3rd

Tom Brady - 6th

Tony Romo - Undrafted

Potential:

Matthew Stafford - 1st

Sam Bradford - 1st

Joe Flacco - 1st

Mark Sanchez - 1st

Josh Freeman - 1st

Kyle Orton - 4th

QBs that did not make the list do not stand to have "franchise QB" careers, in my opinion.

Of these twenty QBs, fourteen of the twenty are first round picks.

So, yes, 1st round QB picks do bust at a high rate, but nonetheless the first round of the draft is still by far your best shot at getting a good QB to build around.

Edited by NaPolian8693

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think this is as obvious as the sun rising in the east, but rest assured there will be an influx of posters with limited knowledge of modern NFL football that will assert that the Bills should reach on an offensive/defensive lineman or linebacker instead.

These people should scare you. They are the same types of people we've had running our team into the ground for the last decade.

Both Farve and Brees were selected 33rd overall too. Now I knwo Farve was taken before there were 32 teams, but in the era of the modern draft him and Brees are the 1st player taken in the second round.

So if you figure the Bills are picking 1st overall next year, we will have that 33rd pick. That means we kinda have 2 shots at nabbing our QB. Also that takes your % from 70 up to 80 when you think of it that way.

--- I think we should follow the Rans/Falcons Model. Take the QB early - hopefully Luck, then Mallet we should take the risk on - then with our 33rd take a top T. Both of those teams have had great success doing that.

Edited by Thoner7

You would think this is as obvious as the sun rising in the east, but rest assured there will be an influx of posters with limited knowledge of modern NFL football that will assert that the Bills should reach on an offensive/defensive lineman or linebacker instead.

These people should scare you. They are the same types of people we've had running our team into the ground for the last decade.

*sigh*. OK, be scared O' me, but there's really no need.

It is one proven, winning strategy to build stud lines, and have a servicable QB in there. It has taken teams to championships.

It has taken teams to Superbowl victories. Do the names Jeff Hofstadler and Mark Rypien have meaning to you?

The Bills have not been run into the ground for the last decade because the franchise has been following one proven path instead of another proven path.

The Bills have been run into the ground for the last decade because they have been following no proven path and have made questionable personnel decision after questionable personnel decision, especially with their high-round draft choices.

I personally think the Bills could draft Joe Genius QB next year and he'd only learn to play scared, playing behind our line.

It looks like we have almost a lock on the first or second pick, and I can't imagine we won't go with a qb on that one. Doesn't help us with the pyss poor defense or o-line, and I suppose the rest of draft should go to giving the new qb the support he wil need to be successful, meaning fixing the o-line (REALLY fixing the o-line) and getting another quality receiver.

I find it hard to believe we will go through another season with the same defense we have this year, but there may not be any alternative.

*sigh*. OK, be scared O' me, but there's really no need.

It is one proven, winning strategy to build stud lines, and have a servicable QB in there. It has taken teams to championships.

It has taken teams to Superbowl victories. Do the names Jeff Hofstadler and Mark Rypien have meaning to you?

The Bills have not been run into the ground for the last decade because the franchise has been following one proven path instead of another proven path.

The Bills have been run into the ground for the last decade because they have been following no proven path and have made questionable personnel decision after questionable personnel decision, especially with their high-round draft choices.

I personally think the Bills could draft Joe Genius QB next year and he'd only learn to play scared, playing behind our line.

Yes this is true.

Many many many more teams win with outstanding QB play and lesser lines. btw the saints won with a backup LT last year.

I think the main point is, its so much harder to find a #1 QB than it is to build the OL so you need to take advantage of a 1 or 2 spot in the draft. Sure he might be a bust, but its your best shot.

There is no way this team selects an OL or LB in that draft position.

Let's look at QBs in the NFL that stand to have good careers that last many seasons and feature a Pro Bowl (based on my own personal opinion), and what round they were drafted in.

Philip Rivers - 1st round

Peyton Manning - 1st

Donovan McNabb - 1st

Eli Manning - 1st

Carson Palmer - 1st

Aaron Rodgers - 1st

Matt Ryan - 1st

Jay Cutler - 1st

Mike Vick - 1st

Brett Favre - 2nd

Drew Brees - 2nd

Matt Schaub - 3rd

Tom Brady - 6th

Tony Romo - Undrafted

Potential:

Matthew Stafford - 1st

Sam Bradford - 1st

Joe Flacco - 1st

Mark Sanchez - 1st

Josh Freeman - 1st

Kyle Orton - 4th

QBs that did not make the list do not stand to have "franchise QB" careers, in my opinion.

Of these twenty QBs, fourteen of the twenty are first round picks.

So, yes, 1st round QB picks do bust at a high rate, but nonetheless the first round of the draft is still by far your best shot at getting a good QB to build around.

I've said it before: Statistically, if you draft a QB at pick #1, you have at least a 33% chance of winning the Super Bowl and a 22% chance of winning it more than once during the player's career. The key is not to get enamored over a guy who isn't good enough. At least half this board could have predicted Russell would be a bust. If there is no franchise QB at #1 there might just be the next Bruce Smith instead.

Because something happened twice out of 40 or something tries doesn't make it a "proven, winning strategy". In fact, it pretty much proves the opposite. Do you see why?

And Kurt Warner was a free agent....Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Jack Kemp, Bart Starr, and a host of other qb's were somewhere in the lter rounds. However, your point is valid that if you were a betting man you're chances of getting a great pick are much better (for any position) in the first round.

would love to see the 1st round qbs that failed.

Plenty of first round QBs far failed. However, when you try to rely on QBs from the later rounds, the failure rate is astronomically higher than in round 1. If you want a guy to be a franchise QB, your best bet is to draft one as early as possible. That doesn't mean just take any QB. But if a guy who you think is a "franchise" QB is available, you take him, no questions asked.

What is scary is your claim of superior knowledge. What has run this team into the ground over the last decade is the lack of emphasis - in this order - on QB , retaining a skilled LT, developing a pass rushing DE (and retaining him), sticking with a scheme that makes sense - on both sides of the ball - and simply drafting poorly.

I do agree with you that Drafting a QB should be priority #1 but a close second has to be a stud pass rusher (oreven a stud NT) is a stud LT. If the QB is truly not available at the pick you have and one of the other priorities is then you address them accordingly.

Lists are great.......here's some more First Round QB's you forget to mention:

Jamarcus Russell

Brady Quinn

Matt Leinart

Alex Smith

J P Losman

Byron Leftwich

Kyle Boller

Rex Grossman

David Carr

Joey Harrington

Patrick Ramsey

Tim Couch

Akili Smith

Cade McNown

Ryan Leaf

Lists are great.......here's some more First Round QB's you forget to mention:

Jamarcus Russell

Brady Quinn

Matt Leinart

Alex Smith

J P Losman

Byron Leftwich

Kyle Boller

Rex Grossman

David Carr

Joey Harrington

Patrick Ramsey

Tim Couch

Akili Smith

Cade McNown

Ryan Leaf

I still believe David Carr was ruined by a terrible, very terrbible OL in Houston. He got sacked almost 70times a season his first 2 years in the league. Not to mention the countless hits, pressures and knock downs he encountered.