Wilson speaks

Given that the Bills are finally openly admitting that we are looking at a 3-year re-building plan, doesn't it make sense to trade Evans for a draft pick at this point? Give the poor guy a shot to play for a contender plus help out our future. Even if you are of the opinion that Evans is a true #1 receiver, will he still be in 2-3 years time? Time to stockpile draft picks.

Edited by ChasBB

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if it's going to take three more years to rebuild, he's cool with me dumping my season tix till then, right?

Thanks for the heads-up, jw. Look forward to reading the full story sted the brief.

I will give you a bag of used footballs for those tix. Wait what section??

I'm sure he'll be happy to take everyone's money while they "rebuild" for 3 more years.

Someone should file a consumer fraud lawsuit. I'm serious.

You know why it's gonna take 3 years? Because he won't pay for any more expensive free agents. I'll say it again: "building through the draft" is a financial strategy, not a football strategy.

+1

DING, DING,DING...well said. These guys are amazing and shrewd. They want to win, he just doesn't want to pay for it. Hell that whole cash to the cap crap, is so he pays the players salary with gate money.

I agree that you can't build with just FA's but selecting certain play-makers on the rise in FA couple with some solid vets to go along with these rookies could legitimize the organization and get this ship righted sooner rather than later.

LMAO the old man is a real piece of work isn't he? Hey it will take 3 more years, but you keep paying me money to line my pockets the next 3. I say !@#$ that. Next year if there is a season there are a TON of free agents due to hit the market and Ralph better !@#$ing well open up the pocket book.

I love how he says we must go get a QB, no **** Ralph? Fans have been saying that for years now.

Just the fact that the old a-hole came out and said that HE'S decided what we're getting in the offseason, regardless of what his GENERAL MANAGER might think, tells me all I need to know.

for those who might not understand the business, a fuller version with direct quotes has been filed and will be moving shortly.

and for those who like to make cracks, i think you'll find it interesting of what Mr. Wilson had to say in regards to why he takes the full blame and also making comments about his age.

jw

Thanks, John. I was going to ask if there was anything edited out worth mentioning.

for those who might not understand the business, a fuller version with direct quotes has been filed and will be moving shortly.

and for those who like to make cracks, i think you'll find it interesting of what Mr. Wilson had to say in regards to why he takes the full blame and also making comments about his age.

jw

i am extremely interested in this and suspect that this could be very important to bills fans in assessing the future chances of success for the franchise. i really hope that you gave or could give some insight into your subjective impressions of wilson's cognitive state during the interview. it is a legitimate concern for any 90+ yo in a position of responsibility and you are in a unique (albeit imperfect) position to assess it. for example, does he have facility with language (as one would expect a lawyer to)?, do questions need to be repeated and/or explained? is he able to concentrate on questions or does he drift? i think the context and accuracy of the article are dependent on these questions.

Edited by birdog1960

Three years of above average drafting would not be enough to fix this team. Clearly, RW does not care about the marketing of this team. How many other owners would say this when many teams have been turned around in one or two years? After 10 years of incompetence, Bills fans deserve better.

The problem with wealth, is it usually abdicates peoples' responsibility for coming to grips with the fact that they're ****-ups.

Ralph fired the best front office man he's ever had.

Ralph messes with the draft.

Ralph allowed his daughter to become a scout.

Ralph values someone like Littman over Polian.

Ralph rarely, if ever, goes outside the organization to find organizational talent. He lucked into Polian.

I will wait to read the story, but Ralph has only himself to blame for this whole crapfest. And given his past behavior, him saying he's to blame is more lip service than anything else.

I believe Mr. Wilson on many levels. It IS his fault for hiring second rate management and coaches. People such as Levy/Jauron. Ya think he doens't know this? He does imo and is serious about taking responsibility.

In terms of getting a quarterback, I believe he is sincere about this as well. A quarterback such as Ryan Mallet will sell tickets galore, and Ralph will earn another 39 million or so. That said, in THIS case, I agree with him. Another dumb selection like Maybin, Lynch, McKelvin, Whitner, Evans, or Spiller would more than likely destroy the franchise beyond repair.

You and I agree a lot these days, although I still think Spiller is going to be a fantastic player coming into his prime when (if) this team finally turns it around.

What I found interesting so far is this:

Wilson says general manager Buddy Nix will spend the next two weeks on the road scouting the top crop of college quarterback prospects.

So basically put a fork in this season.

Sending the GM to scout QBs instead of your scouts is interesting though. Drafting the next QB could be Nix's defining moment as a Bills GM. I suspect he wanted to do the leg work on this one himself rather than trust any of his scouts.

I don't know what the man is going to say and honestly I don't care. YES it is 100% his fault the team has sucked. Sucked before polian, sucked since. Why? Ralph is a cheap ass when it comes to the front office and coaching. Draft picks have been horrible and he keeps the one constent thing here in Tom Modrak that has been here for all of the botched Draft picks.

QB, Hell yeah we need a QB we have since 1996! He says it is our #1 priority? I'l beleve it when I see it, but when will the old man break out the money to get a coach that can develop the kid? when is he going to fork over Free agent money to get talent around him?

Sorry JW etal, its all the same old bull **** we have heard before, it is past time to see ACTION.

jw

Thanks for sharing. Sorry for the kids on the board. Day off school....

I do not wish the man any ill will. The plain fact is he has not the slightest idea whether this rebuilding process will take 3 years, or 30. He simply is awful at building a quality organization with competent people at key positions, AND then leaving those people alone to do their job without his interference. We are nowhere, and it hurts.

Ralph, for christs sake, sell the !@#$ing team already. So now the GM is going on a scouting trip? Is this organization in kindergarten or what? HIRE SOME !@#$ING PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THE !@#$ THEY'RE DOING!!!!!!! This is !@#$ing CRAZY!

You do realize that GM's do go on scouting trips right? They do it especially in the off season at the the various all-star games, combines and personal workouts at various colleges. During a bye week it's not out of the realm of probability. Being negative about coaching or playing is one thing. Being negative about something that is standard operating procedure is a waste of time and you sound crazy. It's good he's going to look at the QB's he's interested in for himself since the bust rate is high with QB's in the top 10. And in the off season he would be going to the workouts of all of these QB's anyway.

In what little was said by Ralph, he did say the right things. He's asking for us to continue to be patient, accepted responsibility for the state of the Bills and is willing to do what it takes to build a winner.

Ralph's not perfect but he does care about his team and their success. Yeah, he turns a profit, but he should, he owns an NFL team. He wants a winner and I have no doubt his dying wish would be to see this team hoist the Lombardi trophy.

Its been hard for us Bills fans and this is certainly a low point for us. But we have to keep the faith and Billieve. We will eventually turn it around and succeed. We're gonna hit rock bottom and then build through the draft.

We've just gotta hold on a little longer.

+1

DING, DING,DING...well said. These guys are amazing and shrewd. They want to win, he just doesn't want to pay for it. Hell that whole cash to the cap crap, is so he pays the players salary with gate money.

I agree that you can't build with just FA's but selecting certain play-makers on the rise in FA couple with some solid vets to go along with these rookies could legitimize the organization and get this ship righted sooner rather than later.

Wrong. The draft is how any successful team is built. Check the rosters of the Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Ravens, Packers, Chargers and see how much of their rosters are draft picks. They will have more draft picks than FA's as part of their core talent.

Free Agency is a two way street. A player has to agree to come to a team. What FA is out there this coming March that the Bills should go after? Or I should say what FA is out there that will be an impact player. If Nate Clements was a 49er should the Bills have offered him 88 mil? Have to be smart about FA. And the draft is the most important thing any organization has to build their team.

I hope we can turn around our beloved Bills. Just a few young, hard working players who look like they care and want to get better will give me some hope. Give me a Talley, a Tasker, if not a Bruce and a Jimbo.

I don't think this is about money or Ralph being thrifty. I am sure he wants to win a Super Bowl as much as any fan. It is about the ability to pick good scouts, coaches and players. Here the Bills and Ralph have clearly failed. All the Ralph is cheap or Ralph farts dust remarks are pretty sophomoric and don't add anything to the discussion.

What makes winning in all major pro sports so tough is that drafting and free agency signing requires the team to project what a very young man will do with his life and his dedication to the game after he is given a boat load of money. Will he still play angry? Will he work out and get bigger and stronger? Will he party, have run ins with the law and get suspended for taking a short cut with anabolic steroids?

So far the Bills have guessed wrong all too often. We have hung on to dead wood, when the better run teams (such as the Pats*) seem to know when to cut their losses and move on with players. The better teams also do build their core through the draft and then add the experienced free agent that fills a specific role.

I like that the Bills are finally cutting and trading those players who will not contribute to the turn around. I would like to see the younger players on the roster with more playing time at QB, D line and LB to see if we have any hidden gems.

It sucks for us older Bills fans that we are now seeing, for the 5th time in the last 50 years the worst team in the league wearing our uniforms. It sucks for the younger fans who have never seen the Bills beat the Pats* or in the playoffs. It sucks to be Ralph and to know that your poor choices will likely mean that the rebuilding of your team may well take longer than the time you have left on this planet.

Sending the GM to scout QBs instead of your scouts is interesting though. Drafting the next QB could be Nix's defining moment as a Bills GM. I suspect he wanted to do the leg work on this one himself rather than trust any of his scouts.

Codemonkey, I agree 100 percent, he is going to make the call (which will be the biggest pick he has ever been involved in) he wants to see it for himself.

JW

Thank You for the article!!

after reading that and seeing what Wilson had to say, there's something wrong with him....he won't be around much longer. Once he passes, I think the wilson family sells the Bills to someone with no ties to the buffalo area and then moved. But having the nerve to say pain and patience is needed....hey old man you've had 10 years of it from us fans.....you can take the 3 years you are talkin about and shove it!!!!

Nix answered that 1 a few days ago...

Well I guess that answers why they wanted to keep Kelsay, but not why they gave him that much money to stay around. This franchise constantly complains about its small market status, but then wrecklessly pays way more than market value for marginal players.

How about my other three questions?

1. Why is Modrak still on the payroll?

2. Where does the team expect to be playing after July 30, 2013?

3. Why won't he allow Jim Kelly's financial group to buy into a minority ownership of his franchise?

I just read Wawrow's article, and it was predictably more of the same. Our local sports media coverage is just as terrible and irrelevant as the team.

"The blame falls on me because I made those selections," Wilson said. "And I don't want to blame somebody else. I take the blame."

And Wilson is well aware of how the fans have begun to criticize him for the team's troubles.

"Oh yeah," he said. "I know that, and I don't blame them."

Well...there you go Wilson haters. At least he's still got his faculties!

Well I guess that answers why they wanted to keep Kelsay, but not why they gave him that much money to stay around. This franchise constantly complains about its small market status, but then wrecklessly pays way more than market value for marginal players.

How about my other three questions?

1. Why is Modrak still on the payroll?

2. Where does the team expect to be playing after July 30, 2013?

3. Why won't he allow Jim Kelly's financial group to buy into a minority ownership of his franchise?

I just read Wawrow's article, and it was predictably more of the same. Our local sports media coverage is just as terrible and irrelevant as the team.

but thanks for reading. :thumbsup:

jw