2nd worst move by the Bills in my lifetime

This is ridiculous. I seem to remember everyone saying we should trade Lynch all off-season and through week 4. Now that they finally do, everyone is going ape-poop because he's suddenly the best RB on our team? What happened to all the love for Fast Freddy and CJ? I guess it's all opinion so I'm not going to argue with what anyone on the board thinks, but I feel like some of you guys can't be pleased.

Also, the worst move by the Bills in your lifetime or anyone else's was when they fired Bill Polian (according to wikipedia because he didn't get along with the treasurer... because they're way more important than GMs). Can't know what would've been, but my money's on a lot more wins and probably a super bowl ring or two.

P.S. This is my first post. I've been lurking around since around the time of the draft, in case anyone was wondering

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While he ran hard, ML was slow. I was at a Bills game two years ago, when a BAL defensive lineman caught him from behind! ML does not have the kind of speed you need to be a stud running back, IMO.

They traded the best player on this team, one who will be a star in this league for years and years, for a fourth round pick.

Wake up, it is not 2007 any more... The best RB on the team typically starts and averages more than 9 touches a game, which was the case for all of last year too. He had a bright start but like Edwards to name on of many fizzled quickly. Maybe he will play well in seattle but he sure wasn't here. Getting a mid round pick for him is about as well as anyone thought would be done. 1 mid and one late pick, why not.

BTW that 2007 draft was brutal.... Russell, Quinn, Ginn... Peterson was the only RB drafted that is a current starter.

When they got rid of Collins for Rob Johnson and gave two high picks, I was furious-Collins was going to be the quarterback to replace Kellly effectively. 13 years of many wasted high draft picks and mega money flushed away on one hack after another, I stand by that as the most detrimental move by the Bills in my lifetime.

This is the second worst move. Trading a 24 year old stud of a running back for a first round pick would have been crazy, but to trade him for a fourth round pick makes this team's front office look remarkably similar to the incompetent yahoos here who turned the Bills into the joke of the NFL, before Polian arrived and cleaned house. (I remember one Polian insider saying that the scouting department was so bad when they arrived that they did not even hav a a file system for players.)

This is the same team now, inept, incompetent, irrational, and squandering opportunities to become legitimate.

They traded the best player on this team, one who will be a star in this league for years and years, for a fourth round pick.

I have been extremely optimistic, almost always, when it came to the Bills 'turning the corner'. Now, I am completely disgusted by the Bills and have no faith. Any team making this bad of a move has almost no chance to become even competitive.

Can you say 2-14? If they are lucky. Go Seahawks.

Unfortunately Lynch wasn't a stud running back. He wasn't even above average. He is simply an average RB in the NFL, averaging the league average 4.0 YPC or slightly lower. Yeah I know, the Oline sucks is the excuse most often bandied about. Unfortunately when Fred Jackson averages an entire half yard or more per carry over their time together running behind the same OLine, you see Lynch just isn't as good as people would like to make him out to be. Sorry, but it is what it is, Lynch isn't as good as most seem to want to make him out to be.

What a bunch of cry babies..we need picks and don't need 3 Rb's one of which is one more suspension away from???

If we didn't need 3 RBs, why did we pick one with the #9 pick in the draft when we could have taken something we need? That's what burns me about this trade. ML and FJ are both really good backs. And McKelvin and McGee can run back kicks too.

My prediction for ML in 2010: 1200 yards and 12 TDs.

The wife and I are Seahawks season ticket holders so I'm really looking forward to seeing ML be used properly. Great for the Hawks. Bills - suckers.

Edited by reddogblitz

Goodbye to all the quitter fans and players who want out of Buffalo. The only way this team will turn around is to find a core of players committed to the goal of winning in Buffalo and build around them. Lynch was not going to be one of those guys. Goodbye! Kelsay wouldn't be my first choice for my starting OLB but, if he's dedicated to the Bills, I'll take him over a more talented guy who takes every opportunity he has to say he wants out of Buffalo. One key to performance is attitude. If you come in with a bad attitude, you will get discouraged at the first sign of adversity. This team is going to face adversity and we need a core of "Buffalo or Bust" players to get through the current (seemingly continuous) rebuilding phase.

If we didn't need 3 RBs, why did we pick one with the #9 pick in the draft when we could have taken something we need? That's what burns me about this trade. ML and FJ are both really good backs. And McKelvin and McGee can run back kicks too.

The wife and I are Seahawks season ticket holders so I'm really looking forward to seeing ML be used properly. Great for the Hawks. Bills - suckers.

Lynch wanted out and Fred is 29. Spiller has the potential to be a premier playmaker in this league and Lynch got beat out by Jackson last year. It would not have been my first choice at #9 but I see the need for playmakers in this league.

BTW, Seattle line is not blowing folks off the line either. Forsett's avg is down over a yard per carry. Have fun being a Seahawk fan. Us suckers don't need you.

Exactly--and he was the first round pick just three years ago! It was a jail break against the Jets, with Fitzpatrick almost never having a chance to even set up in the pocket. And we get another running back instead of an offensive tackle? When we likely have a superstar already, albeit, one who had not been used properly to this point?

The upside of the Spiller move? We had what could potential be the best running back combo in the league, with Lynch and Spiller. But they get rid of Lynch! So, no sense here, the 2-14 Bills all over again.

I agree with your prediction--Lynch is a pro bowl caliber player, the kind that will dominate for years and years. Seattle just made one of the best 'trades' ever in the NFL. Go Seahawks!

I wish him all the luck in seattle, truth is he was average at best (until he was inside the red zone), the bottom line is our team was better without him (remember his suspension), most of all his attitude was horrendous on the sidelines when we were getting beat down, laughing and joking, running up after a good play from the other team and "saying hi" to them, like this move or not Buffalo is a better team by subtraction

I don't love getting a 4th and something for him but hey you get value where you can. I assume this was the best price they have heard and it's 2 weeks from deadline so they finally pulled the trigger. Everyone knew we were planning ahead when we drafted Spiller, so on with the show! Personally, I like ML and wish him luck but don't think he is a giant loss (mostly cause he was going at the end of the year anyway). One area where we are a bit overloaded, not many of those on this team.

There is an interview online somewhere. In the offseason ML was talking about wanting to be traded to a west coast team, pref. SF or Oak. He sounds in the interview like it is a "gonna be done" deal.

You think this is a bad trade?! Some of us remember the famous Lamonica trade as being the absolute worst trade in NFL history (or AFL history). They got Lamonica AND Glenn Bass, Buff got Art Powell and Tom Flores. In his first 2 seasons with Oakland, he threw for 64 TDs. Powell stayed for one season and I believe was injured. Flores served as a backup and got little or no playing time.

Now that was A VERY BAD trade!!! but Lamonica was going to ride the pine here (was what ppl said at the time). The fact is it makes GMs look bad if they trade player for player (during the season, esply) if one does great and one doesn't. I think it was too low a draft pick but you get what you can (as opposed to getting AJ Hawk in return).

Lynch wanted out and Fred is 29. Spiller has the potential to be a premier playmaker in this league and Lynch got beat out by Jackson last year. It would not have been my first choice at #9 but I see the need for playmakers in this league.

BTW, Seattle line is not blowing folks off the line either. Forsett's avg is down over a yard per carry. Have fun being a Seahawk fan. Us suckers don't need you.

+1 :thumbsup: Have fun watching "so you think you can dance" in the backfield!

Exactly--and he was the first round pick just three years ago! It was a jail break against the Jets, with Fitzpatrick almost never having a chance to even set up in the pocket. And we get another running back instead of an offensive tackle? When we likely have a superstar already, albeit, one who had not been used properly to this point?

The upside of the Spiller move? We had what could potential be the best running back combo in the league, with Lynch and Spiller. But they get rid of Lynch! So, no sense here, the 2-14 Bills all over again.

I agree with your prediction--Lynch is a pro bowl caliber player, the kind that will dominate for years and years. Seattle just made one of the best 'trades' ever in the NFL. Go Seahawks!

He was picked in 2007 this contract goes through 2011, so this is his last year on that contract w/ the Bills, CJ is supposed to be a great (OJ great, compare his kick return to one of OJ 1969 ones it is scary how much it looks the same)type back in this league. He should dominate for years (behind a good line).

I wish him all the luck in seattle, truth is he was average at best (until he was inside the red zone), the bottom line is our team was better without him (remember his suspension), most of all his attitude was horrendous on the sidelines when we were getting beat down, laughing and joking, running up after a good play from the other team and "saying hi" to them, like this move or not Buffalo is a better team by subtraction

+100 I hope we have some other ideas what to use in the redzone tho

I have read this statement about 20 times. I was under the impression that his contract was though next year.

I had a link to roto world up earlier too but they changed it now

but here is a link about the "viodable year" contract

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2007-07-27-bills-sign-lynch_N.htm

http://seattle.sbnation.com/seattle-seahawks/2010/10/5/1732568/seattle-seahawks-marshawn-lynch-contract-details

5 years, so he was leaving anyway getting 2 picks is not that bad.

Edited by bowery4

*blink*

Best player on this team?

The best player on this team was beat out by UDFA last year, fumbles the ball last game, and can be counted on to regularly whiff blocks when he's kept back?

How do you define "best player on team?"

Great trade by the Bills. A 4th and a 6th (possibly 5th) is a good thing. Hell Moss a future Hall of Famer was traded for a 3rd. Who in their right mind believes that Lynch even with the difference in age is better than Moss?