Why the Bills should tank this season

smuvtalker

First off, let me say to a great many of you, I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts. Many Bills fans here offer insightful, thought-provoking, well thought out ideas, comments and suggestions pertaining to our Bills. Personally, I am much more of just a reader than a poster.

Let me just give you a brief background on my Bills history. I am 36 years old, and have been a Bills fan since I was 7, back in the days of Joe Cribbs, Jerry Butler, Joe Ferguson, and Freddy Smerlas. I remember the years when we were horrible, and I remember the very first time I could say I was actually truly engaged watching the Bills play, was in 1989 when I was 15 years old, in the playoff game vs Cleveland, when Ronnie Harmon dropped the pass in the endzone, then Jim Kelly through the interception. I was truly hooked from that point on. I remember the glory years when we went to the Super Bowl every year, only to lose. My love for the Bills and faith in the Bills never waivered. I have stuck with the Bills through thick and thin, and even amidst this 10 soon to be 11 year playoff drought, I have never stopped loving the Bills, or watching their games. I've never, ever wanted them to lose a game, or took pleasure in their losses.

Until now.

My personal rationale is that the Bills NEED to lose every game from here on out for the rest of the season. Please, before you start flaming me and slamming me, saying that no Bills fan should ever root for the Bills to lose, hear me out. Let's take a look at the Bills remaining schedule. (Home games in Caps)

JACKSONVILLE - Probably one of the few games we actually have a shot at winning, but after seeing the Jags beat the Colts, I'd be shocked if we won this one. But let's just say for arguments sake we pull it out. W (1-4)

@ Baltimore - Ray Rice, Willis McGahee and Ron McClain will probably combine for 500 yards rushing and 6 touchdowns. Joe Flacco will look like the second coming of Johnny Unitas. With our lack of pass rush, Houshmanzwhatever, Boldin, and Mason will still account for 200 yards psasing. I smell a blowout. L (1-5)

@ Kansas City - Before the season, this looked like a winnable game. With the way the Chiefs have been playing lately, and combine that with the fact that Arrowhead Stadium has NEVER been an easy place to play, not even for good teams, i'm guessing we lose this one. L (1-6)

CHICAGO - The Bears defense will utterly embarrass us. They will win a laugher before a crowd of 47,000. L (1-7)

DETROIT - Another winnable game for the Bills, however, Jahvid Best is looking like a monster so far this year. But lets say for arguments sake we pull this one out. W (2-7)

@ Cincinnati - T.O. will catch 10 balls for 209 yards and 2 scores, while Lee Evans manages to scrape up two catches for 21 yards. Cincy in a blowout. L (2-8)

STEELERS - A solid running game to go along with a rapist defense. We get carved up to the tune of 38-3. L (2-9)

@ Minnesota - Brett Favre will look like he's 20 instead of 40. I don't even want to think about the yardage Adrian Peterson will rack up against us. L (2-10)

CLEVELAND - One of the few teams as bas as us. We win 6-3. W (3-10)

@ Miami - My guess is we'll have nothing left to play for, and the Dolphins will be scratching and clawing for a wild card spot. Home team comes to play, we get beat. L (3-11)

NEW ENGLAND - New England. Nuff said. L (3-12)

@ Jets - Last year is exactly that. Last year. We won't be so lucky this time around. Only way is if the Jets are already locked in and rest their starters. I'd bet even they could still beat us. L (3-13)

So, a 3-13 season is a very real possibility, and could range anywhere from 0-16 to 5-11. I would MUCH rather us tank the season and be assured of the number one pick, than to fight it out, finish 5-11, or miraculously 6-10, and get the 5th or 6th pick and the QB we want is already gone. What would a 3-13, 5-11, or 6-10 win get us? Jack Schitt, and no, not even a cup of coffee. We should be hoping the Bills lose out, and we can get Andrew Luck, Jake Locker, or Ryan Mallett. Any of them would be a tremendous upgrade over what we have now! And then either get a LT in free agency or the draft, and just maybe this offense will start to take shape!

GO Bills in 2011!!!!

I dont think the Bills need to try to actively tank this season. It's going to happen with the players they have and the rebuilding/evaluation process and mentality.

You are correct that the only way this team will get better is to bottom out. 10+ years of 7-9 or 9-7 doesnt do anything but keep us in the middle of the pack.

Its definitely not fun, not easy to watch, and even harder to support. But there is a reason for this year. You just have to keep on BILL-ieving.

I dont think the Bills need to try to actively tank this season. It's going to happen with the players they have and the rebuilding/evaluation process and mentality.

You are correct that the only way this team will get better is to bottom out. 10+ years of 7-9 or 9-7 doesnt do anything but keep us in the middle of the pack.

Its definitely not fun, not easy to watch, and even harder to support. But there is a reason for this year. You just have to keep on BILL-ieving.

I do, and always will Bill-eve! Every year come draft time I always get hopeful and optimistic.....i have a feeling this year I'll be extra excited :thumbsup:

As I say to everyone, what does getting the #1 pick guarantee for us? Sure, the best possible player available, but do we really want to keep hearing about a holdout by said player when Ralph doesn't want to pay him what #1 picks have been getting?

They very well may get the #1 pick, but that doesn't mean they should try to lose and potentially alienate an already slimming and apathetic fan base. Not to mention, further rumors about the team leaving, Buddy & Chan's jobs being in jeopardy, and (did we forget?) the integrity of the game.

Statement: @ Baltimore - Ray Rice, *Willis McGahee and Ron McClain will probably combine for 500 yards rushing and 6 touchdowns.

Question: How come our backfield is (was) crowded and Baltimore's isn't?

*Of course McGayheehee is only there to impregnate anyone who dines at Applebees.

DETROIT - Another winnable game for the Bills, however, Jahvid Best is looking like a monster so far this year. But lets say for arguments sake we pull this one out. W (2-7)

No way. Detroit isn't nearly as bad as 0-4 would suggest.

Sums it up perfectly.

I just dont want to be 0-16. i dont want the bills to be grouped with the lions as the worst in the NFL.

we won't be groupd w/ the Lions, they're on the way up.

What is scary about the current Buffalo Bills situation is that it looks like Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix are actually trying their best to turn this team into a winner, yet failing in almost every aspect.

What the OP just doesn't comprehend is that the loser mentality that pervades in very bad teams is so very very difficult to get rid of, players that get drafted or sign in free agency will come in and go through the motions of playing and all they will really want is that paycheck. Instilling confidence into players and telling them that if they put forth their best efforts that they will succeed, and getting the players to firmly believe that is about the hardest part of a head coaches job. The head coaches main job is to motivate his players to do their very best each week, and manage the games each week. The X's and O's should be left to the coordinators and assistant coaches.

What happens if the Bills get the #1 overall pick and draft a QB...and he turns out to be JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf.

Or perhaps he pulls a Eli Manning / John Elway and refuses to sign with the worst team in the NFL.

Perhaps he pulls a Jim Kelly / Tom Cousineou and signs with another league...

I look around the league and watch what the winning teams do, in the playoffs almost every year and they don't need to bottom out to get better. Patriots- Ravens-Steelers

Edited by Harvey lives

I must say that if any one is a student of NFL history the only way to build a stron team is from the trenches on both sides of the ball. Look at our Super Bowl teams. I mean look at our offensive line, Kent Hull, John Davis, Howard Ballard, Will Wolford, Jim Richter. Defense Line Bruce Smith, Phil Hansen, Leon Seals, Mike Lodish and Linbackers, Cornelius Bennett, Ray bently, Shane Conlon, Darryl Talley, Carlton Bailey.....This is where a team builds from then you add the necessary parts. I think that Nix and Gailey are trying to right the ship by ejecting Trent, Marshawn and hopefully a few more so the real rebuilding can begin.

Edited by bills mclovin

I must say that if any one is a student of NFL history the only way to build a stron team is from the trenches on both sides of the ball. Look at our Super Bowl teams. I mean look at our offensive line, Kent Hull, John Davis, Howard Ballard, Will Wolford, Jim Richter. Defense Line Bruce Smith, Phil Hansen, Leon Seals, Mike Lodish and Linbackers, Cornelius Bennett, Ray bently, Shane Conlon, Darryl Talley, Carlton Bailey.....This is where a team builds from then you add the necessary parts. I think that Nix and Gailey are trying to right the ship by ejecting Trent, Marshawn and hopefully a few more so the real rebuilding can begin.

I agree!

You must start in the trenches.

Load up on picks(and free agents) for both lines, linebackers, and get the QB only if he's the one you want!

Only problem is RW may need to open up the wallet

I would MUCH rather us tank the season and be assured of the number one pick, than to fight it out, finish 5-11, or miraculously 6-10, and get the 5th or 6th pick and the QB we want is already gone.

We should be hoping the Bills lose out, and we can get Andrew Luck, Jake Locker, or Ryan Mallett. Any of them would be a tremendous upgrade over what we have now!

Confused in the logic. First, "tanking" isn't really a good way to build a regime. While I'm accepting a bad season at this point, I want the groundwork to start to be laid, playing good football to start to be the expectation, and having the young players on our team start to learn to play better.

So who do you pick #1? You are certain you want to lock that up and even intentionally lose to accomplish it, but then you list three QBs as interchangeable.

So do you think those three go 1/2/3? I'm not sure the last time three QBs went 1-2-3, but fair enough. But do you think one of them is Peyton Manning and one of them Ryan Leaf? Or do you think we might have a Eli Manning and Philip Rivers situation (he was taken at #4). This seems to me like a draft where you might get one of the top QBs at #3 or #5 or #7 and tanking to get #1 doesn't really seem to make sense. I'm sure a guy who is the best for us will emerge, and draft position might make a difference, but right now in October I don't see it.

Here's one more reason not to tank it to get the top pick to draft a QB

In the 51-year history of the Buffalo Bills, the team has developed exactly 1 starting QB...Joe Ferguson....though I suppose a case could be made for Lamonica

Edited by The_Philster

I'm glad you pointed out that yours is 'an educated post' - otherwise, no one would have known.

So, Senator, are you saying that my post is stupid, idiotic, moronic, imbecilic even? Please clarify. Are you coming on here with your "i'm smarter than you mentality and trying to belittle my post?"

I merely stated my opinion, and tried to put an educated post together to suggest why we should go for the number one pick. If in fact you're trying to belittle me and make yourself look smart or witty, then it's a-holes like you that make posters not even want to say anything on here.

Go F^ck yourself, your mother is an astronaut.

Well played, Sir.

I used to respect your opinion and wit, but you can go f$ck yourself as well. Why is it that you guys think just because you have a few more posts than the rest that you can go and start disrespecting people and trying to belittle them just because you don't agree with their posts??? Damn if i'm not mistaken, neither you or the Senator get paid for your opinions, so why try and belittle people who don't have an opinion that you don't agree with?

Seriously, learn some manners....

There are numerous reasons why Bills fans shouldn't root for their team to lose:

1. Luck is staying in school next year.

2. Mallett is way too immobile and will get destroyed behind Buffalo's OL for the next 1-2 years (or more, going by our team's history of building the OL).

3. Locker sucks.

4. No guarantee the Bills will draft wisely with that #1 pick.

5. Don't want to go down as the third team in modern NFL history to go winless in a season.

6. Can't stand the thought of being swept by the Pats, Fins, and Jets (although likely).

7. Never hurts to start building a winning attitude within the franchise.

8. Wanting to see a lot of the young unproven guys do well (Brohm, Spiller, Steve Johnson, both Nelsons, Bell, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Carrington, Troup, Maybin :lol:, Ellis, Moats, McKelvin), and winning often goes along with this many players performing well.

9. The more the team loses, and the longer the losing continues, the more the franchise's future in Buffalo is put in jeopardy....probably the most important reason.

10. You're...um...a Bills fan.

What's the big deal about "bottoming out" or finishing with the #1 overall pick? The Bills haven't stunk all these years because they were going 7-9 or 6-10. It's because they can't draft. Plenty of good players have been taken after the #1 overall pick, just not by the Bills. It's not like the NBA where you can draft one guy and build your team around him. It takes many players to build a championship NFL team and they aren't all drafted in the top 5.

Edited by vincec