Resident Evil:Littman-Overdorf

cale

Since the departure of Polian, this franchise has only answered to two men, Jeff Littman and Jim Overdorf. Polian was fired for standing up to Littman (and also for being rude to Wilson's daughter).

John Butler insinuated that the reason he didn't stay was because of Overdorf and how he was constantly asked to do more with less. When everyone blamed him for the cap struggles prior to Donahoe's arrival, he intimated that Overdorf handled the cap and salaries.

The closest thing to placing total control and power in the hands of a football person since Polian was the hiring of Tom Donahoe. But he totally crapped the bed. And disrespected the owner in the process (he wouldn't take Ralph's phone calls). Which resulted in the owner again taking over control (read power placed in the hand of Littman-Overdorf).

Overdorf has also cut players without the knowledge of coaches. See Troy Vincent. Ralph was mad when he heard this, but not mad enough to fire Overdork.

I share the frustration of the folks on this board. I also understand the anger against the coach, GM and owner. But this franchise is dead until either Littman-Overdorf have nothing to do with this or the team gets sold.

Coy Wire wasn't a world beater here. But on his ATL radio interview he mentions how the energy in ATL is just positive and it wasn't that way in Buffalo.

The Resident Evil of Littman-Overdorf are the puppet masters and the next slew of coaches, GMs, whatever will repeat the same cycle of failure unless there is a sea change in the culture and power structure of the organization. But as long as Ralph is alive that will not change. Until then it will still be the same lunatic play with different puppets.

I challenge some of the sports journalists here to write a real expose in how the Bills are run. Of course, you'll never gain access to One Bills Drive again, but I think it's time to out this in black and white so there can be pressure placed on the powers that be to fundamentally change the way things are done at OBD. This may result in the team being sold, but I happen to think this would be a good thing.

Right now this is a festering, gangrenous, pus filled mess. It's time to lance the wound and/or amputate the limb and save the team. The fans of this team are owed that much.

Cale.

Overdorf has also cut players without the knowledge of coaches. See Troy Vincent. Ralph was mad when he heard this, but not mad enough to fire Overdork.

I agree with this general sentiment, but I wonder about this one detail. I first heard about Overdorf releasing Vincent and upsetting Ralph in the process recently from WGR's Paul Hamilton, and I thought this was a totally insane thing to do. But it occurred to me that this happened during the Marv-elous era when the team was operating under a GM-by-committee: Levy, Brandon, Overdorf, and possibly Littman all had a say in Front Office matters. Is it possible that, in this instance, Overdorf was not acting out of turn?

Still, someone on the board had recently posted that quote about the definition of insanity is when you keep performing the same actions over and over again, expecting different results... if Ralph has been listening to Overdorf and Littman for the past 16 or so years since Polian left, maybe he should consider committing himself before the legions of remaining Bills' fans check themselves in, instead.

I agree with this general sentiment, but I wonder about this one detail. I first heard about Overdorf releasing Vincent and upsetting Ralph in the process recently from WGR's Paul Hamilton, and I thought this was a totally insane thing to do. But it occurred to me that this happened during the Marv-elous era when the team was operating under a GM-by-committee: Levy, Brandon, Overdorf, and possibly Littman all had a say in Front Office matters. Is it possible that, in this instance, Overdorf was not acting out of turn?

Still, someone on the board had recently posted that quote about the definition of insanity is when you keep performing the same actions over and over again, expecting different results... if Ralph has been listening to Overdorf and Littman for the past 16 or so years since Polian left, maybe he should consider committing himself before the legions of remaining Bills' fans check themselves in, instead.

Committee or not, when is it appropriate for the coaches to not even be notified? The report also goes on to say that Wilson was livid when he heard about it. Which leads me to believe that Overdorf did indeed overstep his bounds.

Also, wasn't that during the Mularkey era? Wasn't Donahoe still the GM? Maybe I'm wrong.

C

Committee or not, when is it appropriate for the coaches to not even be notified? The report also goes on to say that Wilson was livid when he heard about it. Which leads me to believe that Overdorf did indeed overstep his bounds.

Also, wasn't that during the Mularkey era? Wasn't Donahoe still the GM? Maybe I'm wrong.

C

It was 2006 (I only know because I had to look it up) which was the first year with Marv.

In my opinion, all roster moves should be made in concert with (at the very least) the Head Coach, but sometimes GMs do act on their own. That's why Parcells wanted to "shop for the groceries" if he was expected to "cook the dinner", or whatever he said all those years ago with the Jets. That whole era with Marv at the helm was a disaster, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were just bumbling into one another like the Keystone Kops--- kind of like how the team was doing on the field, come to think of it.

President Harry S. Truman had a plaque on his desk stating "The buck stops here" and so it is with the Bills financials when it comes to these two. They are puppets on a string, but have the owners' ear. The football people in this organization (using the term loosely) are at an extreme disadvantage throughout their tenures, so blame for the results lays right at the doorstep of Ralph for having bean counters run his franchise.

well put. However, our last 10 years of drafting has been atrocious. It's not all about FA. it is about drafting players. Look at the jets past 8 years - they hit on almost all of their 1st and 2nd and 3 rounders, except maybe gholston, who still might turn it around. We haven't hit on one, except maybe marshawn and lee. and those are BIG maybes. When we've traded draft picks, we've wiffed - see JP and McCArgo. They hit - see Sanchize and Greene.

In the end, it always, always ALWAYS comes down to drafting. FA doesn't turn a team around (say for the phins a few years ago, but that's a rarity) in the same manner.

Nix is a good talent guy, Whaley hopefully will be, and Gailey - for once - looks like a head coach who actually understands good football and crap. Jauron never ever would have acted the way Gailey did. Gailey actually looked ready to cut half the starters and play the young guys - he wants guys who WANT to win. Right now - i think the blow-hard whitner, the "steady" lee, etc need to go. These guys aren't focused. They are not helping our young talent - and we DO have young talent. Our line is still a work in progress, but its getting better. Urbik will eventually be our RG and Wood will move to center. bell looks to be getting significantly better htan last year

ook im done rambling. will have a better post later... GO GAILEY, GO NIX, GO BILLS!

Since the departure of Polian, this franchise has only answered to two men, Jeff Littman and Jim Overdorf. Polian was fired for standing up to Littman (and also for being rude to Wilson's daughter).

John Butler insinuated that the reason he didn't stay was because of Overdorf and how he was constantly asked to do more with less. When everyone blamed him for the cap struggles prior to Donahoe's arrival, he intimated that Overdorf handled the cap and salaries.

The closest thing to placing total control and power in the hands of a football person since Polian was the hiring of Tom Donahoe. But he totally crapped the bed. And disrespected the owner in the process (he wouldn't take Ralph's phone calls). Which resulted in the owner again taking over control (read power placed in the hand of Littman-Overdorf).

I share the frustration of the folks on this board. I also understand the anger against the coach, GM and owner. But this franchise is dead until either Littman-Overdorf have nothing to do with this or the team gets sold.

Coy Wire wasn't a world beater here. But on his ATL radio interview he mentions how the energy in ATL is just positive and it wasn't that way in Buffalo.

The Resident Evil of Littman-Overdorf are the puppet masters and the next slew of coaches, GMs, whatever will repeat the same cycle of failure unless there is a sea change in the culture and power structure of the organization. But as long as Ralph is alive that will not change. Until then it will still be the same lunatic play with different puppets.

I challenge some of the sports journalists here to write a real expose in how the Bills are run. Of course, you'll never gain access to One Bills Drive again, but I think it's time to out this in black and white so there can be pressure placed on the powers that be to fundamentally change the way things are done at OBD. This may result in the team being sold, but I happen to think this would be a good thing.

Right now this is a festering, gangrenous, pus filled mess. It's time to lance the wound and/or amputate the limb and save the team. The fans of this team are owed that much.

Cale.

You just stated this very well and we've all known it for years. Nothing a reporter could tell us.

One thing I thought about recently with regards to those two. IF the rumors of Kelly buying the team some day after RW is gone are true, you'd have to believe Kelly has nothing but comtempt for those two from dealing he (through his agents) had in his years doing contracts in Buffalo. The final straw may have been the alleged handshake deal he had with RW in his final year. I'd have to believe if Kelly were to buy the Bills, those two would be fired before RW's body is even in the ground. That would be the first order of business. I hope RW remembers them two in his will and leaves them enough to retire on as I doubt they'd be getting anymore jobs in the NFL.

Cale.

I will take it farther. Chris Mortenson knows. Just the other day Mort said in his chat that Ralph and his whispers need to let Buddy Nix do his job. I personally contacted Mort through twitter and he wrote me back that there are things going on that he just cant say.

What would be going on that Mort cant talk about?

Littman is Ralph's Son-In-Law. Something smells fishy, maybe someone has their eyes on big money.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

I will take it farther. Chris Mortenson knows. Just the other day Mort said in his chat that Ralph and his whispers need to let Buddy Nix do his job. I personally contacted Mort through twitter and he wrote me back that there are things going on that he just cant say.

I believe it just comes down to utter ineptitude and nothing more. Wilson listens to these guys when no other competent people are around with a strong steady voice. As for Mort... what is this, high school? Because that's what he sounds like with this crap. Donahoe was his buddy and while Tom was in charge Mort was at the forefront leading the cheers every week on how great the Bills were. "Ooooh, I can't say. If you only knew what I knew..." There's no boogie man, just a bunch of morons.

Littman is Ralph's Son-In-Law. Something smells fishy, maybe someone has their eyes on big money.

What are you trying to say regarding Morts silence??

Edited by abqmarko

The media would report anything that would get headlines, especially Mort. I'm guessing he only knows part of the scenario but not all of it and the info remains closely guarded among RW, Littman, and the rest of the family. Pure speculation, but it's always been a hallmark at OBD for personnel people to be overruled on football decisions. Why would anyone think that the mere presence of Nix has change anything?

Great info-Littman and Overdorf are two morons and Id throw in anoter clown they are keeping around by the name on Modrak. Great job getting rid of Polian afetr he left he made the Colts into one of the most consitent winning orgainizations in the history of the league

Littmann is an attorney that has made a career out of managing Ralph's portfolio in all/most of his ventures. That relationship is probably closer than most son-in-laws, or sons for that matter.

I think Jeff's wife's name is Cynthia? Ralph's daughters are Linda (deceased), Cristy, and Edith.