Simmons' article on Vick

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/101001

Couldn't have said it any better. That's why I'm not a sportswriter for ESPN I guess. Hopefully some of the nuts out there can read this and look at the whole situation a little differently. My guess is that you will still picture a cute puppy and despise the man, but still eat veal without blinking an eye. Peace.

Count me amongst the nuts. Here's a little anecdotal ditty from a Vick family get together. :thumbsup:

"Twice Vick put family pets into the fighting ring with pit bulls because he “thought it was funny to watch the pit bulls. . . injure or kill the other dogs.” Vick also admitted watching his friends hang, shoot and electrocute pit bulls."

But I'm sure someone who can do that can totally change in a year or two...of course only after they are caught and lose everything. :sick:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From a thread I made OTW

Out today.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Dogs-Michael-Rescue-Redemption/dp/1592405509/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

An inspiring story of survival and our powerful bond with man's best friend, in the aftermath of the nation's most notorious case of animal cruelty.

Animal lovers and sports fans were shocked when the story broke about NFL player Michael Vick's brutal dog fighting operation. But what became of the dozens of dogs who survived? As acclaimed writer Jim Gorant discovered, their story is the truly newsworthy aspect of this case. Expanding on Gorant's Sports Illustrated cover story, The Lost dogs traces the effort to bring Vick to justice and turns the spotlight on these infamous pit bulls, which were saved from euthanasia by an outpouring of public appeals coupled with a court order that Vick pay nearly a million dollars in "restitution" to the dogs.

As an ASPCA-led team evaluated each one, they found a few hardened fighters, but many more lovable, friendly creatures desperate for compassion. In The Lost Dogs, we meet these amazing animals, a number of which are now living in loving homes, while some even work in therapy programs: Johnny Justice participates in Paws for Tales, which lets kids get comfortable with reading aloud by reading to dogs; Leo spends three hours a week with cancer patients and troubled teens. At the heart of the stories are the rescue workers who transformed the pups from victims of animal cruelty into healing caregivers themselves, unleashing priceless hope.

nice, short video about the dogs that were rescued from Vick's property and how they were evaluated to see if they could be re-homed...

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/vick/evaluations.html

There are so many things incorrect about this statement, I dont even know where to begin.

The odds that a bite victim will be a child are 3.2 to 1. (CDC.)

According to Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes were responsible for 65% of the canine homicides that occurred during a period of 24 years in the USA.

But you're right, the OP did us "to" incorrectly.

I mean gotttt damnnnn how many "I hate michael vick threads" can there be in a month? Does anybody stop and think "Me bloging isnt gonna stop him from being a good qb, getting money or getting his life back in order?" or does anybody think? He's done really foul things to dogs not humans. Which is very wrong yes but he didn't kill, rape or harm any HUMANS...Some of you need to do a 3D puzzle or something...

*Disclaimer*

If you reply to my comment I will NOT reply back do to sensativity on this issue of Michael Vick. To many cry babies, racial people and plain old suckz on this subject..

Thanks,

Funny you're always the one bringing up race. I guess we know why you defend Vick. Perhaps you're just a whiney little kitty that thinks you shouldn't be held to the same standards as the rest of society.

Guest dog14787

Couldn't have said it any better. That's why I'm not a sportswriter for ESPN I guess. Hopefully some of the nuts out there can read this and look at the whole situation a little differently. My guess is that you will still picture a cute puppy and despise the man, but still eat veal without blinking an eye. Peace.

I stopped reading this garbage when I seen the writer didn't even have the balls to make his own statement concerning Mike Vick, had to lay it all on the wife, good grief what a joke :thumbdown:

Edited by dog14787

he took (at least) one by a leash and swung it around, bashing it against the ground over and over, until it was dead.

he then took the FAMILY DOG, and FED IT to the fighting dogs to show what mean dogs he had.

!@#$ MICHAEL VICK

true, ok, this thread is actually getting me riled up, i just need to stay out of it.

he's a piece of ****.

I agree with you 100% Dank, and if Vick became a Buffalo Bill, I would literally not be a fan until he left.

Michael Vick is scum, and ANYONE who tries to defend him is scum and are dead to me.

Count me amongst the nuts. Here's a little anecdotal ditty from a Vick family get together. :thumbsup:

"Twice Vick put family pets into the fighting ring with pit bulls because he “thought it was funny to watch the pit bulls. . . injure or kill the other dogs.” Vick also admitted watching his friends hang, shoot and electrocute pit bulls."

Only kids who grow in Williamsville know this is wrong.

What does the systematic torture and murder of dogs for sport have to do with the killing of animals for food? If Vick was eating the dogs, I think there might be some validity to this point. And while mainstream meat producers could probably improve their methods to reduce cruelty, i don't think they are systematically torturing the animals for sport before killing them.

We should also not the NFL let Vick off with virtually no punishment to speak of. He was either fighting for his freedom, or in jail during the entire suspension.

With that said, I support 2nd chances. I just doubt many companies would give the newly released felon his multi-million dollar, high-public-profile job back as quickly as the Eagles did for Vick. A lower-paying, more private job working for the NFL or one of their teams would have been a more appropriate re-entry for Vick, IMO. As for Vick being humble, I say BS. Last year I remember him saying he didn't want to stay with the Eagles unless it was as a QB. A truly humble player would have said he was thankful for his freedom and the opportunity to contribute in any way he could. At least that's the say I sees it.

Never seen to many people cry over Pitbulls...the things are like wild animals. They attack innocent people...including children!

Those of you that are not willing to give Vick a break, and those who cannot see how much he has changed and how far he has come...are not American and never deserve a 2nd chance themselves. YOU are what is wrong with society today!

My ex has a pit bull and he's the sweetest creature you'll ever meet. He does tricks, brings pillows, and curls up with us at night. I assure you I will weep like a little baby when it's finally his time to go and would summon a strength I never knew should anyone ever do anything to hurt him. Humans will attack innocent people...including children...as always, it's almost all about how they are raised.

As for your point about Vick. It's not about giving him a break. He already got a pretty huge break. He's among non-sociopaths (maybe other non-sociopaths, but i have my doubts there), got to return to his old job where he's making millions of dollars and getting fawning national stories written about him to feel his ego. For most people, this is not about whether he deserves to be back in the NFL or deserves a second chance (i have zero qualms about that). I agree. He does. But we don't have to like him, or root for him, or not become pissed when we're reminded what he did when an otherwise pretty darn good columnist decides to make a feel-good story as if he overcame alcohol or drug abuse or something.

Guest dog14787

What does the systematic torture and murder of dogs for sport have to do with the killing of animals for food? If Vick was eating the dogs, I think there might be some validity to this point. And while mainstream meat producers could probably improve their methods to reduce cruelty, i don't think they are systematically torturing the animals for sport before killing them.

We should also not the NFL let Vick off with virtually no punishment to speak of. He was either fighting for his freedom, or in jail during the entire suspension.

With that said, I support 2nd chances. I just doubt many companies would give the newly released felon his multi-million dollar, high-public-profile job back as quickly as the Eagles did for Vick. A lower-paying, more private job working for the NFL or one of their teams would have been a more appropriate re-entry for Vick, IMO. As for Vick being humble, I say BS. Last year I remember him saying he didn't want to stay with the Eagles unless it was as a QB. A truly humble player would have said he was thankful for his freedom and the opportunity to contribute in any way he could. At least that's the say I sees it.

I respect your feelings on this Deano, the one thing I will say though on Mike Vicks behalf as far as wanting to remain a QB. There was a lot of talk about Vick playing different positions and myself personally, I can't fault the fella for not allowing the Eagles or any organization to take away what Mike Vick still believed he could be which is a good NFL QB.

He might even top that (being a good NFL QB) if he carries the Eagles to the big dance and brings home a Championship.

What Mike Vick did to animals was horrible, but I've heard to many first hand statements now from folks who have sat down and talked with Mike Vick and went away feeling he was a changed man. Some were even deeply touched by the sincerity of Mike Vick.

Edited by dog14787

I respect your feelings on this Deano, the one thing I will say though on Mike Vicks behalf as far as wanting to remain a QB. There was a lot of talk about Vick playing different positions and myself personally, I can't fault the fella for not allowing the Eagles or any organization to take away what Mike Vick still believed he could be which is a good NFL QB.

I didn't say Vick shouldn't want to play QB. I said, if he was TRULY HUMBLE and thankful for his second chance, he would do whatever the organization wanted him to do. He might have said. "I believe I'm a QB and that's the position I want to play. But the Eagles gave me this second chance and I plan to do whatever coach Reid asks me to do." Of course I think the whole thing is mostly an act, PR and such. But the fact that he couldn't even manage to play humble properly leads me to believe he probably isn't very humble.

Get my point?

Guest dog14787

Agreed. Simmons is solid. This was pretty balanced, and had his funny wit.

Cheap way to get attention/publicity at the expense of Mike Vick If you ask me. :thumbdown:

Dude, you really have no clue. Go back to living under your rock and dragging your knuckels.

where's the waah emoticon? since i have no clue please, please, inform me. oh, p.s., it's knuckles.

nothing you can tell me can convince me that what vick did was any worse than what goes on every day in the name of science or in the name of feeding ourselves. yeah, the ends may justify the means for these examples but torture=torture.

Guest dog14787

I didn't say Vick shouldn't want to play QB. I said, if he was TRULY HUMBLE and thankful for his second chance, he would do whatever the organization wanted him to do. He might have said. "I believe I'm a QB and that's the position I want to play. But the Eagles gave me this second chance and I plan to do whatever coach Reid asks me to do." Of course I think the whole thing is mostly an act, PR and such. But the fact that he couldn't even manage to play humble properly leads me to believe he probably isn't very humble.

Get my point?

I do get where your coming from Dean, but had Vick deviated from the position that he felt comfortable with there's a real good chance Vick wouldn't even be playing right now, at least not as a QB.

QB is so much different then any other position and Mike Vick throws such a beautiful spiral and lately been throwing it on a rope and more accurately then I've ever seen him throw. If Mike Vick is going to play , I'm just glad its at his natural position.

Edited by dog14787

Cheap way to get attention/publicity at the expense of Mike Vick If you ask me. :thumbdown:

I understand why you say that. But I don't know how you can fault him for writing about Vick. Vick is the hot story, and Simmons is a sports colmunist. At least he portrayed both sides of the story, contrasting his views versus his wife's.

People are never going to agree on Vick, so I think this is as good of a balanced article as you'll get.

The odds that a bite victim will be a child are 3.2 to 1. (CDC.)

According to Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes were responsible for 65% of the canine homicides that occurred during a period of 24 years in the USA.

But you're right, the OP did us "to" incorrectly.

Here's a lttle education for you.

"The CDC says that studies that indict particular breeds are unreliable. Dr. Randall Lockwood of the ASPCA calls the focus on specific breeds, "a 19th century epidemiological mindset." That's good enough for me. It ought to be good enough for Dr. Wulkan."

"Most reporters and scientists just don't dig into the more subjective territory of circumstances, such as whether the dog was spayed or neutered, injured, chained, or left unsupervised with children — all non-breed specific factors that can lead to dog bites"

http://animals.change.org/blog/view/are_dog_bite_statistics_reliable

You should drill down on your stats a little further and look at where/how these Pit Bulls/Rottys are bread and raised.

My brother's raised 5 babies around 2 Rottys and 3 Pit Bulls without one incident. Countless family functions, kid's birthday parties and holidays with 20-30 kids running around like maniacs hanging on the dogs and not one incident.

It's all in how they're raised.

Good article. My points exactly from the outset.

Vick should be playing here in Buffalo and enriching the everyday lives of so many people who live and die for the Buffalo Bills. Life is too short to hold a grudge against Vick, even if he is one of the top one billion evil people on the planet for his dog crimes. He paid for his crimes of killing and abusing animals. I can see vegetarians holding a hate grudge on Vick(and the general population for that matter) but anyone else is just being a hypocrite.