Simmons' article on Vick

As usual you have missed the point.

Simmons is a terrific writer, certainly among the best who cover sports. He isn't really a "journalist" in the classic sense, though. He may have been at one point, but I am not familiar with that work. He writes columns, opinion pieces, humor pieces, etc. Does Simmons ever dig up a story and report the facts in an even handed and straightforward way? If he does, please point it out.

Thanks for the dig, Dean-o.

If you want to talk about "missing the point," if anyone has missed the point over the years about the Buffalo Bills, it has been you. After applauding virtually every personnel move made during the Levy's regime, it appears as though you missed the point. :)

That said, I see what you're saying. Simmons' job as a columnist is more analogous to that of Sullivan. Nevertheless, I find Wawrow's work to be fairly run-of-the-mill, but it's not his fault that he covers a team that has become largely irrelevant.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be more outrage about Big Ben coming back to play in a couple weeks than Vick. At least Vick served some time for his heinous crime.

while I'm sure there's a certain amount of outrage, you can't really compare the 2

Vick was convicted of a felony

Big Ben was not only not convicted, but never even charged with any crimes...even though most people do believe in his guilt

i know my comment will go unnoticed due to 3 pages so far lol...

but comparing killing dogs to chickens is kinda dumb... if michael vick killed them, and used the skin and meat for resources, sure i wouldnt hate the guy. I dont think KFC tortures and fights their chickens then leaves them there to die and thats it...

I am no one to judge if the guy has changed or cleaned his act up,

but i just think the NFL should start banning people from the league, depending on the crime, when i was a kid, i looked up to football players, i remember my dad talking about OJ this and OJ that (ya he wasnt in the league when he killed her but still) For example, Lynch, one more strike and he should be banned. NFL has an image to hold up to, and allowing someone who just got out of prison play in the league.. i just think its bad. Oh well, im just a two bills drive poster... im not at espn

also big ben and pac man jones... the list can grow on

while I'm sure there's a certain amount of outrage, you can't really compare the 2

Big Ben was not only not convicted, but never even charged with any crimes...even though most people do believe in his guilt

What difference does it make? If anything, by serving a prison sentence, Vick paid for his crimes. The only reason Big Ben didn't go to jail is because his victims aren't as cooperative because they don't want to be dragged through the mud in a trial.

This is unbelievable... hurting dogs in today's world receives a greater outcry than committing rape. Only on TBD! :lol:

Funny how important the legal aspect is to you, yet when a guy is convicted and actually serves his time....that's apparently irrelevant. Is it the act or the getting caught? Your viewpoint is irrational. Own up, it's just about your humanizing of animals.

Funny how important the legal aspect is to you, yet when a guy is convicted and actually serves his time....that's apparently irrelevant. Is it the act or the getting caught? Your viewpoint is irrational. Own up, it's just about your humanizing of animals.

Excellent point.

i know my comment will go unnoticed due to 3 pages so far lol...

but comparing killing dogs to chickens is kinda dumb... if michael vick killed them, and used the skin and meat for resources, sure i wouldnt hate the guy. I dont think KFC tortures and fights their chickens then leaves them there to die and thats it...

I am no one to judge if the guy has changed or cleaned his act up,

but i just think the NFL should start banning people from the league, depending on the crime, when i was a kid, i looked up to football players, i remember my dad talking about OJ this and OJ that (ya he wasnt in the league when he killed her but still) For example, Lynch, one more strike and he should be banned. NFL has an image to hold up to, and allowing someone who just got out of prison play in the league.. i just think its bad. Oh well, im just a two bills drive poster... im not at espn

also big ben and pac man jones... the list can grow on

I noticed :thumbsup: The problem with your analogy here is you don't spend time in the Federal Pen for working at KFC either.

Well, to be fair, I only recognize maybe 50 or so posters on this board these days anymore... but other than obviously PTR and maybe CBiscuit97, that's all I've got. :D

C. Biscuit definitely wins that trophy :)

I noticed :thumbsup: The problem with your analogy here is you don't spend time in the Federal Pen for working at KFC either.

The conditions in which poultry is raised for use by companies like KFC might include never seeing the light of day. Ever. Crammed in so tight they can hardly move, deep in their own manure, ill and grown disproportionately so to create more of the desired cuts of meat and being kept alive by heavy doses of antibiotics..........how do you think they get the cost of chicken so low? Zero quality of life is no better than torture, it IS torture.

That said, the double down is a quality fast food sandwich.

he took (at least) one by a leash and swung it around, bashing it against the ground over and over, until it was dead.

he then took the FAMILY DOG, and FED IT to the fighting dogs to show what mean dogs he had.

!@#$ MICHAEL VICK

true, ok, this thread is actually getting me riled up, i just need to stay out of it.

he's a piece of ****.

+100000000000000000000000000

HAHAHAHA thanks for noticing lol.

But also something i will admit that i was wrong about... KFC and Vick cant be compared. KFC isnt a hero to kids, football players are.

What difference does it make? If anything, by serving a prison sentence, Vick paid for his crimes. The only reason Big Ben didn't go to jail is because his victims aren't as cooperative because they don't want to be dragged through the mud in a trial.

This is unbelievable... hurting dogs in today's world receives a greater outcry than committing rape. Only on TBD! :lol:

nope...anyone who believes anyone is saying that is a total idiot

I own up to the fact that in the USA, people are innocent until proven guilty....not my fault you're not an American.

I believe Big Ben did it and I think it makes him worse than Vick...but he was never even charged with the crimes let alone convicted and to punish him based on public opinion is irrational. Vick WAS convicted of a felony so his punishment should be more severe...but he got a slap on the wrist from the NFL...only suspended a few games as opposed to life as any convicted felon should be. If you're convicted of a felony, there are plenty of professions you can't get a job in...playing a sport for millions of dollars NEEDS to be one of them.

Thanks for the dig, Dean-o.

If you want to talk about "missing the point," if anyone has missed the point over the years about the Buffalo Bills, it has been you. After applauding virtually every personnel move made during the Levy's regime, it appears as though you missed the point. :)

That said, I see what you're saying. Simmons' job as a columnist is more analogous to that of Sullivan. Nevertheless, I find Wawrow's work to be fairly run-of-the-mill, but it's not his fault that he covers a team that has become largely irrelevant.

I certainly didn't laud every personnel move by Levy, but thought he did a generally good job and deserved far more than the derision he gets from some on this board. The 2006 draft still has three good contributors (two high-quality starters) on the roster and would have produced more if not for injuries to Simpson and Butler. 2007 was less impressive, but only because of the failure of Trent Edwards. Lynch and Poz remain quality starters.

:worthy: Ain't that the truth.... very, very few posters are more consistently WRONG than The Dunce. :D

I like that! :lol:

I may have to use it sometime.

The conditions in which poultry is raised for use by companies like KFC might include never seeing the light of day. Ever. Crammed in so tight they can hardly move, deep in their own manure, ill and grown disproportionately so to create more of the desired cuts of meat and being kept alive by heavy doses of antibiotics..........how do you think they get the cost of chicken so low? Zero quality of life is no better than torture, it IS torture.

That said, the double down is a quality fast food sandwich.

There is no question mass producers of meat can and should do a better job of reducing cruelty. It's a huge black mark on our society, IMO.

But as far as I know, The Colonel is not purposefully torturing the chickens for sport and the amusement of his friends. Furthermore, I doubt KFC is grabbing pet birds from neighbors and friends to use as bait in the demented training of KFC chickens.

If you can't see the difference between these things I think that speaks volumes about you. Intentions matter, despite what some may think.