Simmons' article on Vick

To the people who keep comparing this to food, you're insane. Lots of meat is produced in an inhumane way (why I don't eat it). But we don't honor the people who torture chickens by paying them millions of dollars and putting them on national TV.

and with regards to chicken and beef processing (I cant defend veal), at least there is an ends to the means. people eat in order to sustain life and health.

Vick and his buddies were torturing animals simply for the laugh. No other reason. Oh, and to profit a bit from that entertainment too.

Should someone like this be given a second chance? Maybe. Vick is getting his. I don't disagree with that. It's just that I don't like the guy. I look at his eyes when he says that he sees the error of his ways and he now loves animals. I don't believe it. I think he's lying. I think he's doing what his paid PR team tells him to so he can have what he wants. I think he regrets getting caught and that's it.

yep

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/101001

Couldn't have said it any better. That's why I'm not a sportswriter for ESPN I guess. Hopefully some of the nuts out there can read this and look at the whole situation a little differently. My guess is that you will still picture a cute puppy and despise the man, but still eat veal without blinking an eye. Peace.

I agree with parts of what he said. I personally am not a fan of veal for the same reasons, however I do eat meat. However, I feel like the eating meat/fur is a false equivalency with brutally torturing dogs.

The part I do agree with is that he deserves a second chance. The man served his time in jail. He has seemed to turn his life around, and seems to be honestly contrite about what he did. I love my 1 yr old Lab/Pit, and hated what he did, however he is outspoken against animal abuses, went to a team that has turned him around, and has surrounded himself with people who are much better influences around him.

If he does it again, I was wrong, but he served his time and deserves the benefit of the doubt.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/101001

Couldn't have said it any better. That's why I'm not a sportswriter for ESPN I guess. Hopefully some of the nuts out there can read this and look at the whole situation a little differently. My guess is that you will still picture a cute puppy and despise the man, but still eat veal without blinking an eye. Peace.

Well, THIS vegetarian still ain't gonna root for him. Peace.

I agree with parts of what he said. I personally am not a fan of veal for the same reasons, however I do eat meat. However, I feel like the eating meat/fur is a false equivalency with brutally torturing dogs.

The part I do agree with is that he deserves a second chance. The man served his time in jail. He has seemed to turn his life around, and seems to be honestly contrite about what he did. I love my 1 yr old Lab/Pit, and hated what he did, however he is outspoken against animal abuses, went to a team that has turned him around, and has surrounded himself with people who are much better influences around him.

If he does it again, I was wrong, but he served his time and deserves the benefit of the doubt.

great post. but with regards to the bold... where and when has he spoken out against animal abuse? besides the minimal court/NFL ordered stuff 2 years ago that one time. what else has he done and where?

obviously, someone that high-profile shouldnt have a hard time getting media time to speak out for what he believes.

http://sports.espn.g...snfl2010/101001

I don't have to read the article to know that your attempt to equate eating meat with torturing animals for personal amusement is pathetic.

Peace. dry.gif

I don't eat beef or chicken.

Not judging but just relaying. I used to be like this--ate fish only. But then I read a comparison that what we're doing in the oceans is much worse than what we do to land animals. In the ocean, we kill and kill--with no rejuvenation of the population. That is destroying species of fish. We're basically at war with the fish and the fish are losing.

At least with cows, pigs, chickens, and other farm animals, we perpetuate the species we're eating.

I don't have to read the article to know that your attempt to equate eating meat with torturing animals for personal amusement is pathetic.

Peace. dry.gif

Of course you're not going to read the article! The production of veal entails torturing animals Einstein. I'd rather be forced to fight someone to the death than be kept in a cage for years on end without being able to move. Eat up buddy boy.

shrug. they're animals. not people. i suppose all you animal activists don't eat beef, or chicken, right? because how those animals are raised and slaughtered are inhumane. get over yourselves. he did his crime, and he did his time.

Dude, you really have no clue. Go back to living under your rock and dragging your knuckels.

Of course you're not going to read the article! The production of veal entails torturing animals Einstein. I'd rather be forced to fight someone to the death than be kept in a cage for years on end without being able to move. Eat up buddy boy.

That's also how most chickens are raised. Cows live in bigger rooms but all crowded in on one another. Only dairy cows get outside. Pigs eat each others tails off because they are so freaked out by their conditions.

Our mass meat food supply is a CRIME.

I encourage everyone to find a local farm and get to know them. If you feel like they treat their animals well, eat their meat. It will taste better and will start to change the meat industry. (Yes, it will cost a bit more too.) And when you do that, you might be sacrificing the meaningless term "organic" for humane, but you can judge if it's worth it.

That's also how most chickens are raised. Cows live in bigger rooms but all crowded in on one another. Only dairy cows get outside. Pigs eat each others tails off because they are so freaked out by their conditions.

Our mass meat food supply is a CRIME.

I encourage everyone to find a local farm and get to know them. If you feel like they treat their animals well, eat their meat. It will taste better and will start to change the meat industry. (Yes, it will cost a bit more too.) And when you do that, you might be sacrificing the meaningless term "organic" for humane, but you can judge if it's worth it.

But of course in the United States we have some bizarre fascination with dogs. Yes, Rover is adorable when we wags his tail and then sh*ts on my lawn, but since when do we put dogs closer to humans on the spectrum of life than cows, chickens, turkeys, pigs, etc.? John Madden loves to yuk it up on Thanksgiving when he shows the turkeys, confined in cages, about to be decapitated so that we can eat them, replicating the harmonious love affair between British settlers and Native Americans so many years ago. But Mike Vick tortured dogs, WHICH I DO NOT CONDONE, and people literally treat him as if he did these things to humans.

But of course in the United States we have some bizarre fascination with dogs. Yes, Rover is adorable when we wags his tail and then sh*ts on my lawn, but since when do we put dogs closer to humans on the spectrum of life than cows, chickens, turkeys, pigs, etc.? John Madden loves to yuk it up on Thanksgiving when he shows the turkeys, confined in cages, about to be decapitated so that we can eat them, replicating the harmonious love affair between British settlers and Native Americans so many years ago. But Mike Vick tortured dogs, WHICH I DO NOT CONDONE, and people literally treat him as if he did these things to humans.

As another pointed out, torturing dogs for amusement is a far cry from people killing animals for food. A far, far cry.

And I do not the mass meat or any fish.

He's not American or part of the culture here? He wasn't aware of how Americans view dogs? What he did was both stupid and disgusting. This was killing for the sake of killing.

A c*cksucking piece about Michael Vick? Unreal.

Vick should NOT be in the NFL. He is a terrible person and it would be nice if people treated the NFL as a privilege. He gets cheered by millions of fans every week. He gets paid millions of dollars.

Yeah, some punishment.

Screw Vick. He didn't just kill dogs. He tortured them in ways that are unthinkable.

Never seen to many people cry over Pitbulls...the things are like wild animals. They attack innocent people...including children!

Those of you that are not willing to give Vick a break, and those who cannot see how much he has changed and how far he has come...are not American and never deserve a 2nd chance themselves. YOU are what is wrong with society today!

But of course in the United States we have some bizarre fascination with dogs.

It's not so bizarre. Dogs are friends to us. That's the thing right there. They like us and we like them. They have many traits that have made them close to humans for thousands of years. They are extremely social animals and they are loyal and loving. And they have boatloads of personality.

...since when do we put dogs closer to humans on the spectrum of life than cows, chickens, turkeys, pigs, etc.?

Since the domesticated dog evolved with modern man over the last 10,000-20,000 years. There is something unique to dogs in how they evolved from wolves into our hunting companions and eventually just companions. Dogs are different.

Also, conditions of life or death aside, there's a big difference between killing animals for food and killing animals just for the LULZ.

If that's true then I stand corrected.

However, I still agree with Simmons. The guy obviously wasn't raised in Williamsville, NY by two loving parents who were high school sweethearts like me. He clearly didn't have the values of right and wrong instilled in him as a kid.

By the way, you guys may want to look up how veal is produced, it's actually quite insane.

Neither was my wife or a lot of people I know, but none of them get their jollies by torturing small animals. Save that limp wristed "he's a victim" b.s. for someone who wants to believe so badly he'll buy it.

Never seen to many people cry over Pitbulls...the things are like wild animals. They attack innocent people...including children!

Those of you that are not willing to give Vick a break, and those who cannot see how much he has changed and how far he has come...are not American and never deserve a 2nd chance themselves. YOU are what is wrong with society today!

There are so many things incorrect about this statement, I dont even know where to begin.

he is nothing more than a product of his environment. If you're brought up from day one to believe that this is the way to treat dogs, what is going to stop you from treating them that way? he was likely desensitized to dog fighting and killing dogs at an early age, and it didnt faze him one bit to be a part of it himself.

He likely to this day still isn't truly remorseful for doing what he did to those dogs. and you know what, thats fine with me because he was brought up around it and doesnt know any better. I can't blame him for being raised in an environment where thats how people taught him to treat dogs. i'm guessing he didnt live in a house where his mother had a golden retriever that was man's best friend. he likely only saw dogs as a sport and something everyone did in his neighborhood.

When someone gets arrested and sent to jail for burglarly, do you think they come out remorseful and sorry for it? no, they likely still have no moral change of heart about robbing people, they just now understand that it can get you in a lot of trouble and put you behind bars.

Mike went to jail for it, understands the severity of the crime, and vows to never do it again. We all do things that even though general consensus may deem it inappropriate, we personally have no problem with. The man may not be morally remorseful about it, but he understands the severity of his actions and will make sure future generations understand as well, and thats enough for me

I mean gotttt damnnnn how many "I hate michael vick threads" can there be in a month? Does anybody stop and think "Me bloging isnt gonna stop him from being a good qb, getting money or getting his life back in order?" or does anybody think? He's done really foul things to dogs not humans. Which is very wrong yes but he didn't kill, rape or harm any HUMANS...Some of you need to do a 3D puzzle or something...

*Disclaimer*

If you reply to my comment I will NOT reply back do to sensativity on this issue of Michael Vick. To many cry babies, racial people and plain old suckz on this subject..

Thanks,

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23