[please fix subject]New Stadium planned

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:D

Wasn't there a Bills lineman in the '90s that used to commute from Toronto every day? Only played here for a season, maybe two - can't remember his name - someone help me out...

Seriously though - most of the Bills rookies (and probably about a half-dozen vets) live in Hamburg right off Route 5 (and right near Root Five), and can make it to the stadium or downtown in about 15 minutes. (I literally followed Josh Reed's car to the stadium one Sunday morning from my friend's house in the same complex).

Who even thinks Genesee County wants a stadium? Is the nearly bankrupt State of New York going to widen the Thruway in both directions, and build new exit ramps? It's beyond my ability to even articulate how ridiculous an idea this is.

As tbone said, the player in question was Chidi Ahonotu.

As far as the rest of you post goes, the thruway isn't the only road from Buffalo to Batavia. Off the top of my head, 5, 20, and 33 would all be options on gameday as well. You could also take 20A to 98. I'm not saying I think this should happen, but I don't think getting to the stadium would be a problem if it did.

Then it's not a "plan", it's an idea.

The population density is much greater to the North. So if a new stadium were to be built, it makes more sense to built it (preferably) Downtown (water front? old Shooter's site?) or Niagara Falls. This would draw more people from Canada/Toronto, which the NFL seems so desperately wanting to do.

If I were the Bills and there was plans for a new stadium - I'd want a retractable dome on the waterfront that seats 70,000. Not 75-80,000 like the current one. This ensures sellouts and I believe more families/elders will show up if the roof is at least partially covered.

Lancaster was the site of the proposed dome. There was actually a lawsuit that dragged well into the 1980s about it.

It was to be a 70K seat dome on the site of the old golf course between Stony Road and Pavement - right around where Ecology and Environment now sits. There were going to take my parent's home by 'eminent domain' to widen the roads. To this day, my now 84-year-old father is still pissed at Ralph Wilson! :rolleyes:

Stadiums are expensive, that goes without saying, but they are completely infeasible if you have to go out and buy the land or go through the expensive and time consuming process to condemn it for public use. It's one of the reasons you see NFL/MLB/NBA facilities built adjacent to the existing ones. The authorities or municipality own that land already.

In light of the legal quicksand the Cowboys found themselves in when they constructed the new stadium, I'm sure officials who are even considering new stadiums are very apprehensive about using eminent domain to take property for a new stadium. You are almost guaranteed a drawn out legal fight from private property owners.

Agreed entirely. That said, WNY has a decent amount of public land on which to build a new stadium. The NFTA property at the Outer Harbor (i.e., the former home of Shooters) seems a likely candidate to me. Frickin' windy in December, though.

WHAT???? THERE'S A NEW STADIUM PLANNED IN BATAVIA????

THAT'S IT!!!!! I'VE HAD IT WITH THIS TEAM!!!!

Ralph wants to funnel everyone onto the NYS Thruway and have us all sit there in our cars for 4 hours each way? I just got back from Boston and the NE* game - does anyone know what it's like to have one main road carrying all that traffic out to a stadium in the middle of nowhere in a short time-window, then all exit onto some sort of congested access road to the stadium parking, then do it all over again after the game?

For years (since I returned to Buffalo in 1997) one of the biggest attractions about going to The Ralph every Sunday is that it's less than a half-hour commute from all the addresses I've had. Now I'm gonna have to drive all the way to freakin' Batavia and back???

Screw you, Ralph! I'm done with all your crap. :angry:

Been to Foxboro many times. Has to be the worst for traffic and access.

Lancaster was the site of the proposed dome. There was actually a lawsuit that dragged well into the 1980s about it.

Think it finally finished up in the early '90s. My father spent a substantial chunk of the first decade of his career as a lawyer on the Dome Stadium case, and stopped working on it before it reached a final resolution. It was Buffalo's own Jarndyce and Jarndyce.

As far as the rest of you post goes, the thruway isn't the only road from Buffalo to Batavia. Off the top of my head, 5, 20, and 33 would all be options on gameday as well. You could also take 20A to 98. I'm not saying I think this should happen, but I don't think getting to the stadium would be a problem if it did.

And that's exactly why Genesee County would never want a stadium out there - everyone trying to avoid the NYS I-90 parking lot would try to shortcut thru those narrow, windy roads that weave right thru their quaint little villages and charming, tiny downtowns.

Been to Foxboro many times. Has to be the worst for traffic and access.

Hasn't gotten any better since I lived there in the '80s and had season tix at the old Shaefer/Sullivan/Whatever stadium next to the old dog track - even after they built a new stadium, widened all the access roads, and added tons of new parking at 50 bucks/car. :sick:

Edited by The Senator

Agreed entirely. That said, WNY has a decent amount of public land on which to build a new stadium. The NFTA property at the Outer Harbor (i.e., the former home of Shooters) seems a likely candidate to me. Frickin' windy in December, though.

Great location, but you could never pull that off in Buffalo. For one, the NFTA has held that land for well over 50 years and done absolutely nothing with it, yet they covet it and apparently intend to have it lay fallow for 50 more. Second, there are hoards of 'obstructionists' that would be opposed to using that prime sight for a stadium and parking - for only 9 Sundays each Fall. And third, remember the 'Twin Span' Peace Bridge expansion that was announced in the early-to-mid 1990's? Well here's an article from this morning's Buffalo Snooze...

Peace Bridge construction may start in 2012

Seriously,, the best site would be the vast wasteland that was Bethlehem Steel. It'll never be rehabilitated for any other use, has rail access galore, is right on the lakefront, right along the highway, is more than big enough for any and all ancillary requirements and amenities such as parking, field houses, executive office, critical care facilites, med-evac heliports, shopping malls, etc., etc.

If you made it a totally 'green' self-sustaining facility by using solar, geothermal, and adding to the wind farm that's already there, you might even be able to get some 'Obama-bucks' to fund the thing! B-)

Buffalo is a dead city ... no one will want to invest in it's "rebirth."

Niagara Falls is dead too BUT it has the falls, it has major tourist flow and it's a lot closer to Canadian population centers.

Downtown Niagara Falls is the obvious and only choice.

Get er' done Jimbo!

I'm sure there must be some type of historic housing in downtown niagara falls which would put this plan of hold for 2 decades.

Great location, but you could never pull that off in Buffalo. For one, the NFTA has held that land for well over 50 years and done absolutely nothing with it, yet they covet it and apparently intend to have it lay fallow for 50 more. Second, there are hoards of 'obstructionists' that would be opposed to using that prime sight for a stadium and parking - for only 9 Sundays each Fall.

Always a concern with any development in WNY. I like your Bethlehem idea, but if you think building on the NFTA land would be tough, imagine the environmental issues that would come with building on a former heavy manufacturing site.

I'm sure there must be some type of historic housing in downtown niagara falls which would put this plan of hold for 2 decades.

No doubt. But the old Nabisco site is for sale, and the city is pushing its redevelopment.

Before you scoff at this... It just might make sense and here's a few reasons why:

1. Same distance for Canadian fans - about 30 minutes from Buffalo. (Also same distance for northern tier Buffalo and suburbanites).

2. Double down on Rochester market, and brings Syracuse into play... Remember - the Jets are now in Cortland for training camp, we may be losing ground in CNY

3. Outside Erie County! Which means it just might get done in our lifetimes, not to mention you'd bet that area would provide all kinds of incentive and jump at the opportunity. It would be the biggest thing in Batavia since... well, you get the idea.

4. Same feel for Bills games, tailgating, etc.

Being from Batavia, we have heard this rumor for years. Usually entails a smaller multi-purpose domed stadium topping out at 65k seats. Would it be nice, you bet. Would it be the biggest thing since the Batavia Downs, you bet. Would I be able to afford to attend more games, NO!

Potential problems would be the small local airport may not handle the planes nfl teams use and roads going into and out of Batavia are mostly single lane. Route 5 is the exception. Even access to the thruway exit is tight with 1 road in and out. I remember before OTB when the race track was going strong, cars would be backed up, jammed up for a couple of hours after the track let out on Friday and Saturday nights. I forget how many people the track used to hold, but it wasn't 65K.

It was to be a 70K seat dome on the site of the old golf course between Stony Road and Pavement - right around where Ecology and Environment now sits. There were going to take my parent's home by 'eminent domain' to widen the roads. To this day, my now 84-year-old father is still pissed at Ralph Wilson! :rolleyes:

Lancaster would have been a great spot. Niagara Falls would be better.