Coy Wire on Atlanta Radio this morning

DC Bills Fan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Non football people???? Non football people??? It doesnt get more football than Buddy Nix. What do you mean he wasnt around when the announcement was made. it was Chan Gailey's Monday press conference, since when does the GM ever have a press coinference besides signing a player or after the draft? You guys are something else

While there are good things to say about Ralph Wilson, it has long been known that he will not spend top dollar for a GM, HC, etc. The loss of Polian (and no, not Butler who basically got to ride out what Polian built), was the end of a quality front office. Player payroll wasn't the issue through the 90's. Ralph spent plenty on players.

When Donahoe became President, first they escaped cap hell, then spent on some big name FA's (Sam Adams, Takeo Spikes....) so things were looking up. A real President and players too, but that fell apart and along with the brief return of Marv Levy, the Bills began the cash to cap crap and while still paying too much for some guys (Kelsay for one), getting the balance sheets in order seemed to be priority one, not winning.

Are the Bills clean for a sale, yes, and I'm sure that was very much intentional. It's a shame that Ralph has refused to consider selling the team to local investors (Jim Kelly's group comes to mind and has wished for the opportunity. Ralph should sell now. He should have sold the team when he went cash to cap. Yet, sadly it will be an estate sale in which there won't be a Ralph around to even try to work out a deal with Buffalo's interests given some consideration. It will be strickly about the Benjamins......

So sad....

I am pretty sure both Scott and Wire are spot on with this. I am hoping things are and will get better with Nix/Whaley.... they are both coming from winning organizations. Nix from the chargers and Whaley from the steelers. I say they will make this organization much improved from the last 10 years.... but that isn't saying much.

A new owner is what we need.... I just hope that Jimbo is telling the truth and this group of his is real. If he is blowing smoke, then a lot of un-fun things can happen.

It would make no difference if he was owner if we didn't have a QB. The point is it's 90% plus about the player's and most importantly the QB.

Why haven't we made the playoffs in 10 years? B/c we have no QB.

Blank looked like a buffoon with the whole Petrino fiasco and lucked out they bottomed out the right year and got Matt Ryan. Lucky they didn't bottom out in '06 to have the great QB draft class of '07 with J Russell, Brady Quinn, J Beck, D Stanton and Trent Edwards.

My simple point is that it matters a heck of a lot more who your QB is than who the owner is.....Ralph has certainly paid for free agents L Milloy, Spikes, S Adams etc...on those teams that had great defenses but horrible QB play. He has paid players tens of millions of dollars and WILL pay.

Once we finally find a QB we'll be okay.

OK, we understand your philosophy. The only element of the entire organization of any significance is the QB. Got it. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Um.....Coy Wire is an average at best player. The biggest difference between the two tteams? Atlanta has a good QB. That is the biggest difference, and the biggest one that ever matters.

Bingo. Maybe the Bills should shoot for a top-3 draft pick and get that franchise QB, like the Falcons?

Edited by Doc

Bingo. Maybe the Bills should shoot for a top-3 draft pick and get that franchise QB, like the Falcons?

Or hire someone on the other 31 teams' radar for a GM. Undoubtedly you've heard of Tom Dimitroff, former personnel man with NE. You probably also knew that ATL interviewed Nix for the GM job and chose the former.

You don't build football teams with luck and sub-par unwanted personnel people. But you knew that already.

This shocks anyone? Yeah I know Bills fans want to scream 'rumor' and 'back the accusations with some link' or some BS. Bottom line it has been whispered about the league for years, Ralph is a cheap ass. He has never put a premium on GM's or HC's. He feels they are a dime a dozen. Look at the history of this franchis with him as the owner, outside of the Bill Polian years IT HAS SUCKED and will till the day the man dies.

Two different markets, two different owners. If Ralph Wilson really wanted to make money he would have moved the team years ago.

OK, we understand your philosophy. The only element of the entire organization of any significance is the QB. Got it. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Yes...b/c that's what I said. It is single handedly the MOST important but not the only important piece. But face it if the Falcons have Chris Redman as their QB they are horrible. How come the Bills changed one player and they looked like a completely different team in a whole 7 days?

Point being we would be a playoff team if we had Peyton Manning as our QB. Indy would be horrendous with Trent Edwards with all of the rest of the team the same. There is a reason Indy has OL that were undrafted free agents and guys who played in the arena league etc...They have an aawesome QB.

I know Ralph is goofy at times but if I could have Ralph and Peyton Manning or Blank and T Edwards/Chris Redmon you'd be an idiot to pick the Blank team.

And it does take luck at times. How about T Couch being the best QB your year to pick a QB. How about J Russell the best college QB your year you have a top 3 pick. It happens at times...now if you pick R Leaf over P Manning then you have a major problem

Or hire someone on the other 31 teams' radar for a GM. Undoubtedly you've heard of Tom Dimitroff, former personnel man with NE. You probably also knew that ATL interviewed Nix for the GM job and chose the former.

You don't build football teams with luck and sub-par unwanted personnel people. But you knew that already.

Is having the 3rd overall pick and getting a franchise QB "luck" or skill?

Did you ever buy a new formica counter top? Wilson Art is huge and it is named after.....

Formica® and the Formica® Anvil logo are registered trademarks of The Diller Corporation. WilsonArt International sells its own brand of laminate countertops. And, uh, no. I've never purchased a laminate counter top, regardless of the brand.

Is having the 3rd overall pick and getting a franchise QB "luck" or skill?

You're on board with bottoming out and hiring qualified GM's to make the decision on a top draft pick then? For the record, Dimitroff was faced with taking either Ryan or Glenn Dorsey. It was not clear cut (we have the benefit of hindsight) and Dorsey was considered. He chose Ryan, hired Mike Smith, and the Falcons went from 3rd overall pick to 11-5 and a playoff appearance the following season.

Dimitroff knows after working in NE how to build a team.

Even though I'm listed as DC Bills Fan, I should probably change that to ATL Bills fan...

Anyway, Coy Wire was on the Regular Guys show this morning, one of the jocks is from Buffalo or Rochester and still a Bills fan.

He asked Coy what was wrong with Buffalo, and you could hear Coy trying to be diplomatic with his answer. He said that he had played in Buffalo for 6 years, and that was all he knew. When he went to the Falcons, he was shocked. He said that from the top down it was a first rate organization. The owner spends money to get the best coaches and players and has assembled a first rate front office. Coy said that alone fosters a winning atmosphere.

He didn't take any shots at the Bills, but reading between the lines it was pretty clear that he didn't think that Ralph was as interested in winning as Arthur Blank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icBYIoGRhoI

Coy Wire answered a question asked on air. As you observed he tried to be diplomatic and classy with his response. Your characterization of his response was spot on.

Two different markets, two different owners. If Ralph Wilson really wanted to make money he would have moved the team years ago.

Actually, depending on the accounting, you can make more money by maintaining a mediocre NFL franchise in a small market than to field a competitive team in a big market.

youtube.com/watch?v=icBYIoGRhoI

Coy Wire answered a question asked on air. As you observed he tried to be diplomatic and classy with his response. Your characterization of his response was spot on.

Thanks - I had a lot of time in traffic this morning to listen, so I tried to get it right! :thumbsup:

You're on board with bottoming out and hiring qualified GM's to make the decision on a top draft pick then? For the record, Dimitroff was faced with taking either Ryan or Glenn Dorsey. It was not clear cut (we have the benefit of hindsight) and Dorsey was considered. He chose Ryan, hired Mike Smith, and the Falcons went from 3rd overall pick to 11-5 and a playoff appearance the following season.

Dimitroff knows after working in NE how to build a team.

Taking Ryan, the concensus top QB in the draft that year, was a no-brainer, given that Vick was in jail and they traded Schaub the year before. Foruntately they had the 3rd overall pick and neither of the 2 teams in front of them took a QB. The Bills have more than anything needed a QB this past decade. Hence my (rhetorical) question.

So the Bills didn't try to find a QB?

Todd Collins - 2nd round pìck

Rob Jonhson - 1st and 4th round picks + stupid money

Doug Flutie - from Canada

AVP - kidding

Drew Bledsoe - 1st round pick

JP Losman - 1st and 5th round picks

Trent Edwards - 3rd round

They failed to find the right one but they didn't ignore the position.

Well played. There is a big difference between bad luck and willful mismanagement, which too many people ignore in their attempt to work out their own Daddy issues by attacking Ralph Wilson.

Got it. So if someone else is selected for a job/position, that means every other option that was looked at or interviewed sucks? Nice lahjik.

The fact that the Falcons interviewed Nix blows your theory that "he's not a football guy/he's unwanted" out of the water. If Nix was so "unwanted" in the first place why did the Falcons even bother to interview him?

Or is it (more likely), that you are being a simple minded crybaby who is bitching for nothing more than the sake of bitching. Again, you're not here to actually bring any type of discussion to the board. You're simply here to repeat "Bills suck, this move sucks" ad naseum.

Even though I'm listed as DC Bills Fan, I should probably change that to ATL Bills fan...

Anyway, Coy Wire was on the Regular Guys show this morning, one of the jocks is from Buffalo or Rochester and still a Bills fan.

He asked Coy what was wrong with Buffalo, and you could hear Coy trying to be diplomatic with his answer. He said that he had played in Buffalo for 6 years, and that was all he knew. When he went to the Falcons, he was shocked. He said that from the top down it was a first rate organization. The owner spends money to get the best coaches and players and has assembled a first rate front office. Coy said that alone fosters a winning atmosphere.

He didn't take any shots at the Bills, but reading between the lines it was pretty clear that he didn't think that Ralph was as interested in winning as Arthur Blank.

Then why is he there?