Coy Wire on Atlanta Radio this morning

DC Bills Fan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only surprising thing about this thread is my newfound knowledge that a delusional few still think the Bills aren't a league-wide laughingstock of a joke franchise.

Seriously...you guys think its just bad luck that this team has been terrible for 40 of the 50 years of its existence?

The bills may never have a winning season again.

Taking Ryan, the concensus top QB in the draft that year, was a no-brainer, given that Vick was in jail and they traded Schaub the year before. Foruntately they had the 3rd overall pick and neither of the 2 teams in front of them took a QB. The Bills have more than anything needed a QB this past decade. Hence my (rhetorical) question.

not to mention that Vick himself, was a #1 overall pick in 2001.

So the Falcons picked the #1 QB in 2001 and built a team around him. Then he "left", and they bottomed out and they used the #3 on a Franchise QB and are looking much better than the Bills.

I dont know that I have a point to make, just sayin.

While there are good things to say about Ralph Wilson, it has long been known that he will not spend top dollar for a GM, HC, etc. The loss of Polian (and no, not Butler who basically got to ride out what Polian built), was the end of a quality front office. Player payroll wasn't the issue through the 90's. Ralph spent plenty on players.

When Donahoe became President, first they escaped cap hell, then spent on some big name FA's (Sam Adams, Takeo Spikes....) so things were looking up. A real President and players too, but that fell apart and along with the brief return of Marv Levy, the Bills began the cash to cap crap and while still paying too much for some guys (Kelsay for one), getting the balance sheets in order seemed to be priority one, not winning.

Are the Bills clean for a sale, yes, and I'm sure that was very much intentional. It's a shame that Ralph has refused to consider selling the team to local investors (Jim Kelly's group comes to mind and has wished for the opportunity. Ralph should sell now. He should have sold the team when he went cash to cap. Yet, sadly it will be an estate sale in which there won't be a Ralph around to even try to work out a deal with Buffalo's interests given some consideration. It will be strickly about the Benjamins......

So sad....

The only thing that makes me happy about the Bills these days is that I really do feel the reign of terror is coming to an end pretty soon... KEEP HOPE ALIVE!

OK, we understand your philosophy. The only element of the entire organization of any significance is the QB. Got it. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Don't forget the luck.

A little known story: When Nikolaus August Otto was 29, he slipped on a broken beer stein and stumbled into a pile of random metal objects. When he came to a few minutes later, he noticed that the objects had self-organized into the first working internal combustion engine. Nikolaus was a lucky guy. He got the girl too.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

Have the Falcon's even made the playoffs since he got there? Hell, have the Falcon's ever even been to a Super Bowl?

Since you asked, ATL is 20-15 since beginning a total rebuild after Vick was sentenced, Petrino bolted, and Parcells spurned Arthur Blank. And it began with a rookie QB, a no-name HC, and Mike Mularkey as their OC. I'm not guaranteeing success for them, but they beat NO in the Superdome, and look like that could be dangerous in 2010.

Think about this. Every time you buy something from Home Depot you're in fact supporting the Falcons as Blank is the owner of both. On that note is Ralph still selling insurance? :pirate:

I don't want to turn this into a political discussion, but Home Depot was sold to three different conglomerates and is owned by; the Carlyle Group, Bain Capital and Clayton and Dubilier and Rice. Arthur Blank hasn't been involved in the company since 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_depot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bain_Capital

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlyle_group

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayton,_Dubilier_and_Rice

Then why is he there?

Because of the salary cap. Wire plays a role, special teams and fill-in LB/DB. He's a class act and well liked in Atlanta. Jim Leonhard was cut, and now is a contributer with the Jets on special teams. These guys serve a purpose, and can play other limited roles. We're now questioning why certain guys are on other team's rosters? Really?

Have the Falcon's even made the playoffs since he got there? Hell, have the Falcon's ever even been to a Super Bowl?

Yes and yes

He didn't take any shots at the Bills, but reading between the lines it was pretty clear that he didn't think that Ralph was as interested in winning as Arthur Blank.

Well what do you expect? At Ralph's age, his greatest interest is trying to not wet himself while using the bathroom.

So with all the great differences in these franchises, over the 9 years Blank has owned the Falcons the Falcons have 9 more wins or one more on average per season.

Yes, the QB position is important because of the nine more wins 7 have been since Matt Ryan.

Finally, I seem to remember "Ralph is cheap" was all the talk in the mid 80's before Jim Kelly's arrival.