The Trent situation was not handled well

jahnyc

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What, me worry?

There's a resaon many here are afraid to venture to PPP. Too many dainty feathers.

I'm still amazed at the wash rinse repeat cycle of fandom laying everything at the feet of the coach & GM, when that's never been the locus of decision making in this franchise, save for the lucky hirings and moronic firings of Saban, Knox & Polian.

Indeed. It wasn't Polian that won the power struggle.

There are two things that will change perception and ONLY TWO......what they did with Edwards means NOTHING

WINNING.....players will go to teams that are winning games

MONEY......players wanna get paid

Thats it

Do you honestly believe that people want to come to Buffalo anymore? Thurman Thomas was cut and found out about it on ESPN. That's class. A far lesser player, Trent Edwards, was cut and his teammates learned of it on...you guessed it, ESPN. We have reports players are not happy about how this went down. Think those players don't have friends around the NFL. Coy Wire has all but admitted the Bills are dysfunctional and third rate and he's one of finest people in the NFL.

NFL executives and the players pay attention. So do players' agents. This issue is more complex for some of the simple simon's on this board to understand. I wish more Bills fans went and studied other teams to see how a successful franchise is run. Because this team makes decisions that defy all logic. How do you win when you can't convince good HC's to interview and RW has a history of telling those same HC's what to do? You certainly don't luck into winning, that's for sure.

Careful, guys. A friend of mine is getting roasted in another thread for suggesting essentially the same thing ...

Yeah, but - and this is a key point - he seems to care more about what the bozos here think of him than I do what they think of me.

In any sufficiently large population, there are going to be some holding down the left side of the bell curve. :D

Yeah, but that's just error... :w00t:

Which reminds me: Holcomb's Arm...then Edwards' Arm...I think he's got to stop naming himself after Bills QBs. Maybe next he should change his name to Brady's Arm...

I understand that TE was benched for this play, but cutting him in this manner will have ramifications. The way this was handled reflects poorly on the front office, and these type of things do impact the perceptions that players have of a team (in this case the Bills). Yes, the media and the experts are already negative about the Bills, including our front office, but there are many reasons that college players and free agents will not be attracted to the Bills, and creating new reasons is not helpful. Overall, the impression is that this team and organization are a mess. Maybe cutting TE was the right move, but it sure makes the team look bad on a number of levels and feeds the impression that our front office and coaching staff are clueless.

I have no problems disagreeing with the so called experts, but they seem to be right about the Bills a lot lately. After 10 years of futility, it is becoming increasingly difficult to disagree with the negative perceptions of this team and I am becoming concerned with the ability of the current front office to make good decisions and build a winning team.

Players won't care. You're deluding yourself.

Edwards clearly regressed from the preseason, he has no future in Buffalo and by cutting him he has a new opportunity in Jax. What is the big deal? People who are terrible at their job should get fired. I think it sends a message to this team in a big way. Accountability for your play on the field. If your gonna stink it up you are outta here. It is long over due. Besides, if some of the players are angry about it then maybe they themselves should have played better. If I hear about the o-line complaining then that is truly pathetic. They should have blocked SOMEBODY for the guy if they do happen to care so much. Judging by how they played, I doubt that is the case. I can see it now, Cornell Green crying about how unfair it was to cut the guy when he had only 1.2 seconds to throw the ball. HA! Maybe Maybin and Whitner will wake the hell up.

Yeah, but that's just error... :w00t:

Which reminds me: Holcomb's Arm...then Edwards' Arm...I think he's got to stop naming himself after Bills QBs. Maybe next he should change his name to Brady's Arm...

Let's hope it isn't "Brohm's Arm"

Yeah, but - and this is a key point - he seems to care more about what the bozos here think of him than I do what they think of me.

Nope. He left because he felt he was being asked to defend his employer and his coworkers seemingly every time he logged into the board, and it just wasn't a fun way to spend his free time. (Which, by the by, is the exact sentiment more than one WGR employee has expressed to me about the continuous Schopp-bashing -- even if they happened to agree with some of it, it got old after a while.)

When I called him in late June, he hadn't visited here in a month, meaning that he didn't know I'd also gone walkabout. After I told him, out of curiosity, he clicked on the link as we talked just to see what was on the front page of TSW, but nothing caught his eye. You can tell the exact time/date of that call by clicking on his profile, because it was the last time he logged in here. (Think it was a Monday night, the same day my stepfather began his first round of chemo.)

At the end of July, when we were all at SJF, JW and I sat in a room with him and watched him delete the bookmark. Can't remember the last time he so much as brought it up in conversation, other than mentioning that he'd try to make it over to our tailgate for the opener. (And as you know, I've talked/typed at him a lot this summer about things far more important than message boards -- mostly about my stepdad, and about a good friend of his who's fighting a similar battle.)

So, sorry to disappoint the people who think he's still lurking here plotting his revenge, but it's not true.

I understand that TE was benched for this play, but cutting him in this manner will have ramifications.

What ramifications?

If they kept Trent on the team, but wanted to develop Brohm, that would have had ramifications.

From starting QB to practice squad guy #3 on the depth chart, is a long drop.

Likely even with the best intentions, he would have been miserable and it would have done him no good and maybe impacted morale.

Instead, they got out the knife and made a clean cut.

Now Trent has a job as the #2 for a "better" team, a chance at a new start, maybe better opportunities than he would here, and a better chance to negotiate a new contract.

And the Bills have a #3 guy who had the summer to learn the system, and who is really happy to be on an NFL roster.

Sounds like a good deal all round.

Do you honestly believe that people want to come to Buffalo anymore? Thurman Thomas was cut and found out about it on ESPN. That's class. A far lesser player, Trent Edwards, was cut and his teammates learned of it on...you guessed it, ESPN. We have reports players are not happy about how this went down. Think those players don't have friends around the NFL. Coy Wire has all but admitted the Bills are dysfunctional and third rate and he's one of finest people in the NFL.

NFL executives and the players pay attention. So do players' agents. This issue is more complex for some of the simple simon's on this board to understand. I wish more Bills fans went and studied other teams to see how a successful franchise is run. Because this team makes decisions that defy all logic. How do you win when you can't convince good HC's to interview and RW has a history of telling those same HC's what to do? You certainly don't luck into winning, that's for sure.

So Shanahan really DIDN'T spend an entire day here?

As for your comments about the players -- all of them know it's a business and most know they're fortunate to play for ANY team. The bottom line is both Nix and Gailey are VERY well respected, even if Nix didn't get the job in Atlanta. Does Bill Cowher have an agenda by talking up Gailey? How about Jerry Jones? Or Phil Simms?

You are so trapped in your cellar of misery you can't help yourself; the conspiracy theories run wild. So Ralph has meddled -- what owner hasn't? The Bills have had some downright crappy luck over the past decade, combined with some poor decisions. Either by itself can be overcome; the combination is deadly. This Edwards thing is a mere blip on the radar -- beyond the personal relationships, I guarantee the players know EXACTLY why the move was made, and they're not telling their friends not to come to Buffalo.