How can this be a bad day

I understand the medias desire to find fault with the team and management and they should be held accountable to the fact that he did win the starting job, but dumping was a proactive move that had to be made. We can fault them all we want for having him start, but when they have the guts to basically admit that they made a mistake and then correct it, you have to actually give them credit. I supported Edwards through the whole process but when you throw ten yard hook patterns on your own twenty with twenty-nine seconds left and no timeouts and the out of bounds run on the fourth down which he may never live down, what kind of confidence is the team (forget the fans) going to have.

I never wanted to see him again because I know exactly what I am getting and I actually knew it after the Dansby sack on the third play. There are many other reasons for why they should have let him go and we can compete in this forum for the best reason, but who wouldn't rather see Brown back and at least given a shot to understand our offense opposed to an Edwards who no one wanted to see play.

The media has felt an urgency to criticize and there have been reason for sure, but this is a move in the right direction of this team at this time. We need winning with an attitude and Edwards was far from that.

What the media is criticizing is quite simple. Edwards was "the guy" after Nix/Gailey watching old tape, training camp, numerous practices, and preseason. So after 2 games he is no longer "the guy", and 1 day after the benched game he is released outright. Not so that they can sign someone else ... just because. If anyone outside of the Bills nation mentions the Bills now, they have yet another reason to laugh.

Edited by CodeMonkey

What the media is criticizing is quite simple. Edwards was "the guy" after Nix/Gailey watching old tape, training camp, numerous practices, and preseason. So after 2 games he is no longer "the guy", and 1 day after the benched game he is released outright. Not so that they can sign someone else ... just because. If anyone outside of the Bills nation mentions the Bills now, they have yet another reason to laugh.

Trent looks good in OTAs and camp. He played well in the preseason. Fitz is the definition of a gamer who probably looks terrible in practice. However after 2 real games, Gailey saw the limitations of Edwards.

Rather than be hard headed like a lot of NFL people are, Gailey and Nix made the proper changes. Edwards had no more value to the team and they moved on. I really don't see how this isn't a good thing.

It is because no one wanted to see him play again including the players. I don't care what other people think. This move had to be made.

Trent looks good in OTAs and camp. He played well in the preseason. Fitz is the definition of a gamer who probably looks terrible in practice. However after 2 real games, Gailey saw the limitations of Edwards.

Rather than be hard headed like a lot of NFL people are, Gailey and Nix made the proper changes. Edwards had no more value to the team and they moved on. I really don't see how this isn't a good thing.

Only exception being that for Edwards. He lost a bunch of $$$$. Hope he's been saving his dough and has another career in the works.

Even for you this is a stretch. After tens of practices, position meetings, off-season workouts, et al, they finally figured out Trent wasn't liked in the locker room nor could he play? If Gailey is an offensive coach, could he not tell Fitzpatrick was better? You're saying that Gailey is this offensive genius and he couldn't see through Edwards like the tease he was?

All those months of preparations and the "old ball coach" Gailey got fooled by a guy with 4 seasons of mediocre QB'ing. Either Gailey's really slow or Trent's an awesome actor playing QB.

Well, yes but....what of the 10 other QB changes between week 2 and 3?

Several (3 I think) for injuries .... but 7 for performance.

Are we laughing at 1/4 of the league, or is it just some things are hard to figure 'til the bullets go flying?

Well, yes but....what of the 10 other QB changes between week 2 and 3?

Several (3 I think) for injuries .... but 7 for performance.

Are we laughing at 1/4 of the league, or is it just some things are hard to figure 'til the bullets go flying?

What other teams released their week 1 starter outright this season so far? 1/4 of the league?

They are laughing at the Bills management.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Only exception being that for Edwards. He lost a bunch of $$$$. Hope he's been saving his dough and has another career in the works.

Actually, he was making less than several players on the Bills' squad. He was a low paid QB. I agree with C.Biscuit. Edwards was one of those guys who looks really good in training camp, then flops when the lights go on. I think each year the coaches were thinking, "okay, now he gets it." But he loses his nerve in the real games.

What other teams released their week 1 starter outright this season so far? 1/4 of the league?

They are laughing at the Bills management.

Who cares who is laughing? I can understand why they thought he should start based on preseason and cutting him was the right thing to do as it was clear he is just too rattled to play effectively once the hits and blitzes started.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I don't care what he was, no NFL QB should retain his starting job after 2 consecutive games like Edwards had. QBs just don't play like that in the NFL, period. They don't freeze back there paralyzed and hold the ball, only to dump it down because guys aren't open by 5 yards. He just doesn't get it and never will. It gets really annoying how the media members, who likely have never played sports in their lives, have all this to say about everything. When the opposing team shows you absolutely no respect and puts all 11 players on defense within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage like Miami did multiple times, it says volumes about what they think of the QB.

In a nutshell, Edwards pulled the wool over the new coaching staff's eyes in training camp and preseason looking really good. Then when the lights came on, he went back to playing the way he did last year. Coaching staff admitted they were fooled and realized that noone had ever seen a QB play quite that badly, and that there was no hope for Edwards. They cut bait, and are going to focus their time working with the other QBs on the roster.

What is the problem? That is how things work in business. If its obvious the guy doesn't have it, after you have given him everything you feel you can give him, you have to get rid of him. Just ridiculous how the media want to nitpick every little thing. The Bills should be applauded for this move. They recognized a player that just couldn't play during the regular season, and got rid of him.

This was a great day for me... once I heard this news!

Trent has sucked so badly and pulled this franchise down so greatly, that I did the unthinkable and didn't even watch the game this past Sunday. I know Fitz was starting, but I've seen so much bad QB play in recent years that I just couldn't take another drubbing by the Pats*. So, I left the TV off, ventured into the real world and actually had a nice day. Now, granted, it seems we played well and I may have gotten some enjoyment from watching the game. But, going in, I just couldn't bear the thought of another horrendous sub-200 yard offensive day while Brady and company rolled through our defense.

Trent may be a agreat guy, but he's a horrible QB. He's played horribly for the vast, vast majority of his career. He should have been cut/traded in Feb. The fact that he wasn't is a huge red flag for Nix/Gailey's ability. However, the fact that he was cut today is a huge plus for allowing this franchise to move forward.

For all those that think it's a sign of some incompetence that our starting QB was cut after week 3.... maybe. But, after Fitz's day against the Pats* it's obvious the main problem with the offense was Trent. Why would you want him back on the field? And would it be better to keep a team captain as the 3rd stringer? I say cut him and move on.

So, yes, it was a great day to be a Bills fan.

Who cares who is laughing? I can understand why they thought he should start based on preseason and cutting him was the right thing to do as it was clear he is just too rattled to play effectively once the hits and blitzes started.

It absolutely matters.

It matters because players talk. Agents talk. Front offices talk. Image is a LOT in this league. And Buffalo is at the VERY bottom of the league.

This move does not help.

It absolutely matters.

It matters because players talk. Agents talk. Front offices talk. Image is a LOT in this league. And Buffalo is at the VERY bottom of the league.

This move does not help.

I think this move helps. The league was laughing at us becuase we had Trent as our starter. On NFL network they had a peice on AFC East QBs. They went over film on TB and Sanchez and Henned Penney. they said basically the same thing about Sanchez we were saying about Trent. needs to stop checking down so much etc. Then shannon sharpe said "Don't think we're not giving to love to Bills QB Trent Edwards. Trent, I love your golf game, but " (paraphrased 'you suck').

In the paper on sunday they had thier "power rankings" with a comment on each team. The Bills were 32 and had the comment something like, the surprising thing about the Bills benching Trent Edwards is not that they did, but that he's on the team at all.

Now they can see we at least have a plan of some kind at QB and aren't sticking to status quo. If Fitz continues to play well and we win some games, it'll be alright.

Bills will be butt of all NFL jokes until we make playoffs and not totally until we win SB. Sad, but true.

I'll tell you who cares, Donte Whitner. That's who...

Oh, wait,..

That's another thread.

It absolutely matters.

This move does not help.

So all the sucky players in the NFL who are barely hanging on, won't want to come to Buffalo I guess?