Edwards benching

Trent's benching is the biggest disappointment I have felt as a Bills fan since the playoff loss to the Titans in 1997 (I refuse to recognise any of the nicknames for this game).

It's not so much that Fitzpatrick is horrible (which in my view he is), it's more that Edwards benching says something more fundamental about where this organisation is. I think, and have said repeatedly, that the front office needs a major overhaul, from top to bottom, to reset the organisation. The entire front office is largely intact over previous years, and look at the horrible decisions that have been made... They need a root and branch rethink of how this organisation does football - clearing out so many of the scouting and personnel department.

It made me so sad today to think of the Bills and for the first time as a Bills fan that I probably don't care what happens on Sunday. OK this has more to do with the fact that I am a new father, but even so, the Bills are a passion of mine, and to be getting it so spectacularly wrong for so long is a major let down.

I looked at the guys on the field this past Sunday and several realisations hit me then - benching Trent again is the final nail in the coffin. Honestly - look up and down the roster and we will not be remembering fondly very many of these players. That makes me sad because the day I got engaged in Ralph Wilson Stadium, in 2001, it was exactly the same story. Keith Ellison = Brandon Spoon. Reggie Torbor = Eddie Newman. Ryan Fitzpatrick = AVP. The list goes on. Every year I am willing to suspend my irritation at a seemingly inept offseason, only for disappointment to come surging back at the point in the season where you just know the playoffs aren't going to happen.

This year - I have reached THAT point at week 3. And Fitzpatrick is the living embodiment of that feeling - and that's why I hate him. So this Sunday, I'll be there, cradling my 4 week old daughter as we both wear our Bills gear and I will watch the game. But I'll be rooting for Brady who starts for my Fantasy team, and I'll flick to other games to see my Fantasy Team play. Because at least if the Fantasy Team loses, that's on me, and my decisions.

When the Bills lose, I'll just be sad.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm.... I think that should read 1999 not 97. <_<

Yeah and Keith Newman, not Eddie Newman (Eddie Robinson only "played" for the Bills in 2002).

But buck up little camper. It's just football. That little bundle of joy (until the teenage years) you'll be cradling is really what's important.

Trent's benching is the biggest disappointment I have felt as a Bills fan since the playoff loss to the Titans in 1997 (I refuse to recognise any of the nicknames for this game).

It's not so much that Fitzpatrick is horrible (which in my view he is), it's more that Edwards benching says something more fundamental about where this organisation is. I think, and have said repeatedly, that the front office needs a major overhaul, from top to bottom, to reset the organisation. The entire front office is largely intact over previous years, and look at the horrible decisions that have been made... They need a root and branch rethink of how this organisation does football - clearing out so many of the scouting and personnel department.

It made me so sad today to think of the Bills and for the first time as a Bills fan that I probably don't care what happens on Sunday. OK this has more to do with the fact that I am a new father, but even so, the Bills are a passion of mine, and to be getting it so spectacularly wrong for so long is a major let down.

I looked at the guys on the field this past Sunday and several realisations hit me then - benching Trent again is the final nail in the coffin. Honestly - look up and down the roster and we will not be remembering fondly very many of these players. That makes me sad because the day I got engaged in Ralph Wilson Stadium, in 2001, it was exactly the same story. Keith Ellison = Brandon Spoon. Reggie Torbor = Eddie Newman. Ryan Fitzpatrick = AVP. The list goes on. Every year I am willing to suspend my irritation at a seemingly inept offseason, only for disappointment to come surging back at the point in the season where you just know the playoffs aren't going to happen.

This year - I have reached THAT point at week 3. And Fitzpatrick is the living embodiment of that feeling - and that's why I hate him. So this Sunday, I'll be there, cradling my 4 week old daughter as we both wear our Bills gear and I will watch the game. But I'll be rooting for Brady who starts for my Fantasy team, and I'll flick to other games to see my Fantasy Team play. Because at least if the Fantasy Team loses, that's on me, and my decisions.

When the Bills lose, I'll just be sad.

Keep the faith mate. Yes, there are parallels to past rebuilds. True, we lack talent in many areas. Agree, the front office is spinning their wheels.

I still think that Chan and Nix knew this was Edwards last shot. Of the 3 QBs that we have today Edwards had the best shot to develop into a good one. Problem is he doesn't know how to think at NFL speed and he lacks leadership. Now he look to be done as a Bill. time to move on. I think two games was enough.

Don't know why you hate Fitz? With Fitz you will get less talent but better decisions, better leadership, and more football savvy. I think you will see a better showing against New England this week.

Brohm? He could be a diamiond in the rough but proabably not. I think he will get his chance to play this season and we will know what we have with him.

Now matter what happens we draft a QB in the off season and continue the search for the next great Bills QB. Cheers.

Edited by Bob in STL

I'm seeing a lot of posts like this and a few friends of mine who are slowly moving away from being a Bills fan because of the past 10 years.

It's sad, I'll give you that, but as Doc said...it's just football. While I want them to win, yet realistically think they won't every week, I'll still root for them. They're my team. I grew up with them and will stick with them to my grave.

I have been a fan well before most of you were born and the #1 problem with the Bills is RIPPING DOWN AND STARTING OVER.

Rather then address the issues, rip it apart and start over. Well this is about my 15th rebuilding project and guess what, this team needs direction and stability.

Ralph plays you guys for suckers, the team continues to suffer and you let him off easy by firing the coach. Well, Ralph is now out of coaches, nobody wants to coach here.

WE ARE AT THE CROSS ROADS MY FRIENDs.... :flirt:

I'm seeing a lot of posts like this and a few friends of mine who are slowly moving away from being a Bills fan because of the past 10 years.

It's sad, I'll give you that, but as Doc said...it's just football. While I want them to win, yet realistically think they won't every week, I'll still root for them. They're my team. I grew up with them and will stick with them to my grave.

I'm with you my fellow diehard. This is my team, win or lose, and no matter the level of sucktitude, they will ALWAYS be my team. I'm sure I'll be buried with something bills with me.

.....maybe it's time I got that charging Buffalo tat I have been wanting.

I have been a fan well before most of you were born and the #1 problem with the Bills is RIPPING DOWN AND STARTING OVER.

Rather then address the issues, rip it apart and start over. Well this is about my 15th rebuilding project and guess what, this team needs direction and stability.

Ralph plays you guys for suckers, the team continues to suffer and you let him off easy by firing the coach. Well, Ralph is now out of coaches, nobody wants to coach here.

WE ARE AT THE CROSS ROADS MY FRIENDs.... :flirt:

We will be at the crossroads when Ralph passes and new, long term ownership is in place. Then the real rebuilding will begin with new management and coaching who have confidence in a boss who is not soon to die. The big time guys are not coming here until they have a long term boss. Ralph is not long term. Nothing substantial changes at OBD until long term ownership is in place. Ralph is doing the best he can.. he simply cannot attract the top guys who know once the team sells everyone gets replaced. Pretty simple. A real conundrum. You don't wish for someone's death, especially the guy who keeps the team in WNY, but real change cannot happen until he actually is gone. Weird, but largely true, IMO.

I have a friend who gave up on the Bills and went to the Jets as his team. I have no idea how you make that switch.

At least with Fitz there may be some excitement on offense, who knows it happened last year. I'm in a good place with the team, I have zero expectations so I am not set up for any heartbreak. I'll go to all the home games, watch all the away games, and hope for some excitement.

I have a friend who gave up on the Bills and went to the Jets as his team. I have no idea how you make that switch.

At least with Fitz there may be some excitement on offense, who knows it happened last year. I'm in a good place with the team, I have zero expectations so I am not set up for any heartbreak. I'll go to all the home games, watch all the away games, and hope for some excitement.

Yeah I don't understand how you just drop all your loyalty like that and just decide to follow another team.

1) Bills backers UK huh, very cool!

2) Rooting for Tom Terrific is just wrong on so many levels. And I cannot believe you expose your daughter to that heresy! Before you know it, she will be wearing a cheaters jersey. Oh the humanity! I may have to report you to child protective services (or the UK equivalent).

3) They weren't going to make the playoffs this year before week 1 even was played. The same players as last year and a harder schedule sealed that fate long ago. Not sure what the Bills are waiting for, they seem to have wasted what could have been year 1 of a rebuilding process. But we can look forward to seeing what Gailey does the rest of this season and Nix during the off season.

As someone else said, don't sweat it, it is only football. But for Gods sake correct this Brady situation ... if not for your soul at least for the soul of your little girl! :)

I agree completely. While this team is a train wreck and I no longer expect much on Sundays, I grew up a Bills fan and have been one since the inception of this team in the 60's. There have been a few periods like this one where the team is really bad, but eventually things will turn around. As fans, we don't have to like what is going on with the team right now. In fact we shouldn't. But hang in there folks. As many have pointed out, it's only football and not really that important in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully at some point this year, the team will be more competitive. I believe that benching Edwards is the right move. It took Gailey exactly two games to figure out that he is not an NFL calibre QB. He may look good in practice and in pre-season when there is no pressure, but as soon as things really count, he folds like a bad poker hand. Fitz is not the answer long term, but he showed last year that he will be more decisive and more competitive than Edwards. The long term answer at QB is out there somewhere and hopefully we find him sooner rather than later. Until then, I will continue to tune in and hope for the best, but I won't really be that let down when things begin to fall apart on Sundays.

Look, I'll be living vicariously though another team this year as well (after tormenting myself with the Bills game).....but rooting for Brady?!?! This is how it happened to Aniken Skywalker. Slippery slope my friend...slippery slope.

That really is the best solution, and fortunately, we have Brett Favre to cheer for 15 weeks out of this season. 15 b/c MN plays Blo once this year, but for the guys who covet that top pick I guess you have 16 wks.