Edwards benching

I have a friend who gave up on the Bills and went to the Jets as his team. I have no idea how you make that switch.

I have a better one...a friend of mine from high school was a big Yankees fan, like me. I lost touch with him until about a year ago when I found out he turned into a Red Sox fan. Explain that one to me.

At least with Fitz there may be some excitement on offense, who knows it happened last year. I'm in a good place with the team, I have zero expectations so I am not set up for any heartbreak. I'll go to all the home games, watch all the away games, and hope for some excitement.

Amen. At least we can hope the Bills play spoiler. Pick up a win against Miami or the Patsies* in December when they're both fighting for the playoffs and I'll be content. That's as high as my expectations will go. I'll even still attend 1 game a year like I usually do.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK historical inaccuracies aside, I retract the Brady comment. It kills me that I picked Marcia for my fantasy team....

Also - no idea why anyone would switch teams. I bleed red white and blue, and will ALWAYS support the Bills.

If rooting for Brady eases the pain of the Bills' crapitude, I say go for it. We have to do whatever we can to survive this Decade of Suck. I picked NE's defense for my fantasy team for the same reason.

I still would rather have the Bills win than my fantasy team. I'm hoping for a 21-0 Bills win where all our points come from punt returns.

Actually, with Edwards being benched, i have some more hope that the Bills can win. We have a QB now qho will actually throw the ball.

I agree that Fitz gives me more hope at the QB position. While Fitz is a bad QB he's a better bad QB than Edwards.

The disturbing thing is Gaily's decision to go with Edwards after watching a career's worth a film and having a "QB competition" only to pull him after 2 weeks. Either he saw something in the study of Edward's career that made him believe he could field a competitive team with Edwards at the helm or he didn't. If he did he needs to give Edwards more than 2 weeks before giving him the hook. If he didn't then why the hell didn't he hold a real QB competition during the pre-season with the other guys getting pre-season starts and lots of first team reps?

I'm not too pleased with how the Gaily era is starting off.

Edited by MDH

Trent's benching is the biggest disappointment I have felt as a Bills fan since the playoff loss to the Titans in 1997

Honestly Nick, I have the exact opposite reaction. I think this renews hope for the season, and the franchise in the near future.

I'm not suggesting that Trent was the only issue and removing him means the team will now be a powerhouse. But I find comfort in Chan's willingness to make some changes and adapt, to see what can be salvaged from this mess.

Trent's benching is the biggest disappointment I have felt as a Bills fan since the playoff loss to the Titans in 1997 (I refuse to recognise any of the nicknames for this game).

It's not so much that Fitzpatrick is horrible (which in my view he is), it's more that Edwards benching says something more fundamental about where this organisation is. I think, and have said repeatedly, that the front office needs a major overhaul, from top to bottom, to reset the organisation. The entire front office is largely intact over previous years, and look at the horrible decisions that have been made... They need a root and branch rethink of how this organisation does football - clearing out so many of the scouting and personnel department.

It made me so sad today to think of the Bills and for the first time as a Bills fan that I probably don't care what happens on Sunday. OK this has more to do with the fact that I am a new father, but even so, the Bills are a passion of mine, and to be getting it so spectacularly wrong for so long is a major let down.

I looked at the guys on the field this past Sunday and several realisations hit me then - benching Trent again is the final nail in the coffin. Honestly - look up and down the roster and we will not be remembering fondly very many of these players. That makes me sad because the day I got engaged in Ralph Wilson Stadium, in 2001, it was exactly the same story. Keith Ellison = Brandon Spoon. Reggie Torbor = Eddie Newman. Ryan Fitzpatrick = AVP. The list goes on. Every year I am willing to suspend my irritation at a seemingly inept offseason, only for disappointment to come surging back at the point in the season where you just know the playoffs aren't going to happen.

This year - I have reached THAT point at week 3. And Fitzpatrick is the living embodiment of that feeling - and that's why I hate him. So this Sunday, I'll be there, cradling my 4 week old daughter as we both wear our Bills gear and I will watch the game. But I'll be rooting for Brady who starts for my Fantasy team, and I'll flick to other games to see my Fantasy Team play. Because at least if the Fantasy Team loses, that's on me, and my decisions.

When the Bills lose, I'll just be sad.

You sound like me. I was saying the exact things to my son last night. Putting Fitzpatick in, while maybe giving the Bills the best chance to win only solidifies that fact that this team is hopelessly floundering. All the indications were there about this team's shortfalls after last season, and NOTHING was really done about it. It's hopeless and it starts at the top. For me, when Ralph Wilson had no response to Bud Adams flicking him off during last year's Titans game, that spoke volumes for me that he does not care. And if he does not care, why should I put out my emotions for a team in a free-fall with no bottom.. The whole Head Coaching search was another indication of how far this franchise has fallen if the reports were correct about all the top avaliable head coaching candiates passing. I have loved the Bills for 30 years and have lived and died with them, but the past few years I have gradually lost interest and my perspective now is that this team will always be horrible with no hope of salvation until a new owner/organization is brought in. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but that's the reality, like it or not. It hopeless until then.....................................

Being a new father is what got me through last season... My baby was born the day after the panthers game... It was nice to sit on the couch and hold her while I watched the Bills games all season... This season is fun too although she won't sit with me but she plays in the living room wearing her bills clothes and claps when I clap and yells when I yell. So far it has helped to deal with this mess the last few weeks....

What I am trying to say is that although it sucks that they suck... There ate more important things to worry about....

I have a better one...a friend of mine from high school was a big Yankees fan, like me. I lost touch with him until about a year ago when I found out he turned into a Red Sox fan. Explain that one to me.

easily answered.

i'll put it as a simile:

You had a buddy that you grew up with that was hetero, lost touch with him, and then 20 years later you find out that he loves the cack.

So this Sunday, I'll be there, cradling my 4 week old daughter as we both wear our Bills gear and I will watch the game.

You should be glad to be a Bills fan right now. You won't accidentally spike your new daughter when the Bills score a TD since the Bills never score TDs. ;)

Edwards fans will have to learn the same thing Losman fans have learned, or should have learned, if they didn't:

No amount of fan desire for him to be good will make him a good quarterback. He simply isn't one, and the door is about 98% closed on that possibility at this time. The book is out on him, and he hasn't done anything to write a different story for himself. Whatever potential he had has been coached out of him and replaced with a very poor low-risk, low-reward philosophy that only wins you games if you're the Baltimore Ravens. And even they have a quarterback with some visible strengths.

You root for the laundry, and Fitz as interim starter is probably the best thing for the veterans on the roster at this point in the season. Brohm should be in following our eventual ouster from the playoff picture so we can see what we have in all QBs on the roster before 2011. If this gets us closer to the QB we need, it's what needs to be done. The past few regimes have gotten by on bad drafting with quick fixes, fan-placating moves, and a shell game of QB switches that by all indications should be about to be over - with Edwards' last snap as a Bill having already taken place. There are no more illusions that he's the guy, and so we can move on after another four middling years.

I can't see this as anything but the right move, but then again I never was a believer in Trent. Even from his first game I saw fans pleased with precious little, like a starving man thrown a bone that hadn't quite been licked clean. It was as though a single touchdown drive against the Pats, or staying in a game mostly due to an awesome recovery from the defense, was enough to sustain that belief. The guy just can't get it done on gameday. It's time to move on. Go Bills!

I was almost positive that I posted a reply in this thread.

Anyhow, why would Edwards' benching cause one to throw in the towel? IMO, it was pretty clear that he wasn't the Bills QB of the future. I really don't think that the demotion makes a bit of difference, one way or the other, with respect to the long term plans of the franchise.

Keys to keeping sanity as a Bills fan:

1) Praise Jesus that Jauron is gone.

2) Understand that we're rebuilding.

3) Know that we just switched to a 3-4 defense.

4) Be thankful that at least we have a good secondary

5) Offer gratitude to the football gods that our run D actually looks better

6) Adopt a second team to allow you to keep your sanity (for me, it's the Chargers)

7) Look forward to the fact it appears we'll be drafting a QB in the top 5 next year

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

Honestly Nick, I have the exact opposite reaction.  I think this renews hope for the season, and the franchise in the near future.

I'm not suggesting that Trent was the only issue and removing him means the team will now be a powerhouse.  But I find comfort in Chan's willingness to make some changes and adapt, to see what can be salvaged from this mess.

a mess that Buddy and Chan created

It's more a testament to Chan and Buddy's inability to evaluate talent

at QB, on the OL, at LB

epic failure on so many levels-

yet the fans continue to give him a scholarship because he pulled the plug on his own handpicked selection.

oh- and Tom Modrak and crackerjack scouting dept are all still employed

a mess that Buddy and Chan created

It's more a testament to Chan and Buddy's inability to evaluate talent

at QB, on the OL, at LB

epic failure on so many levels-

yet the fans continue to give him a scholarship because he pulled the plug on his own handpicked selection.

oh- and Tom Modrak and crackerjack scouting dept are all still employed

You are suggesting that, in one offseason, Buddy should have fixed all the Bills problems? You always have posted stupid nonsense.

But even if you say they haven't made the right moves in acquiring personnel, you still have to play the hand you're dealt. Apparently, you think, in this game of draw, the Bills should stand pat no matter how bad their hand.

Of course, you know and we all know Trent wasn't Chan's "hand picked" QB. That's simply sophistry.

I have been a fan well before most of you were born and the #1 problem with the Bills is RIPPING DOWN AND STARTING OVER.

Rather then address the issues, rip it apart and start over. Well this is about my 15th rebuilding project and guess what, this team needs direction and stability.

Ralph plays you guys for suckers, the team continues to suffer and you let him off easy by firing the coach. Well, Ralph is now out of coaches, nobody wants to coach here.

WE ARE AT THE CROSS ROADS MY FRIENDs.... :flirt:

Maybe you're right about Ralph... I don't know. My biggest friggin complaint is this.. " Who the hell has been making the final decisions on first round draft picks. That's the SOB sending this team into a downward spiral. Was it the HC? Was it Ralph? Whoever it's been is to blame... in my opinion anyways...

We will be at the crossroads when Ralph passes and new, long term ownership is in place. Then the real rebuilding will begin with new management and coaching who have confidence in a boss who is not soon to die. The big time guys are not coming here until they have a long term boss. Ralph is not long term. Nothing substantial changes at OBD until long term ownership is in place. Ralph is doing the best he can.. he simply cannot attract the top guys who know once the team sells everyone gets replaced. Pretty simple. A real conundrum. You don't wish for someone's death, especially the guy who keeps the team in WNY, but real change cannot happen until he actually is gone. Weird, but largely true, IMO.

Exactly. During the past few years it's no coincidence they haven't been able to attract top candidates for the GM and HC positions. Who would want to work in Buffalo when the next ownership will make huge changes? It's why they've only been able to hire the likes of Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey, Marv Levy, Russ Brandon, and Buddy Nix. All of those guys are happy to be in the league and don't mind that they'd get dumped if the team were sold.

It is certainly a real conundrum in that they can't move forward without the owner not being present. And in no way am I hoping for anyone's passing, it's just a strange situation as you say.

Trent's benching is the biggest disappointment I have felt as a Bills fan since the playoff loss to the Titans in 1997 (I refuse to recognise any of the nicknames for this game).

It's not so much that Fitzpatrick is horrible (which in my view he is), it's more that Edwards benching says something more fundamental about where this organisation is. I think, and have said repeatedly, that the front office needs a major overhaul, from top to bottom, to reset the organisation. The entire front office is largely intact over previous years, and look at the horrible decisions that have been made... They need a root and branch rethink of how this organisation does football - clearing out so many of the scouting and personnel department.

It made me so sad today to think of the Bills and for the first time as a Bills fan that I probably don't care what happens on Sunday. OK this has more to do with the fact that I am a new father, but even so, the Bills are a passion of mine, and to be getting it so spectacularly wrong for so long is a major let down.

I looked at the guys on the field this past Sunday and several realisations hit me then - benching Trent again is the final nail in the coffin. Honestly - look up and down the roster and we will not be remembering fondly very many of these players. That makes me sad because the day I got engaged in Ralph Wilson Stadium, in 2001, it was exactly the same story. Keith Ellison = Brandon Spoon. Reggie Torbor = Eddie Newman. Ryan Fitzpatrick = AVP. The list goes on. Every year I am willing to suspend my irritation at a seemingly inept offseason, only for disappointment to come surging back at the point in the season where you just know the playoffs aren't going to happen.

This year - I have reached THAT point at week 3. And Fitzpatrick is the living embodiment of that feeling - and that's why I hate him. So this Sunday, I'll be there, cradling my 4 week old daughter as we both wear our Bills gear and I will watch the game. But I'll be rooting for Brady who starts for my Fantasy team, and I'll flick to other games to see my Fantasy Team play. Because at least if the Fantasy Team loses, that's on me, and my decisions.

When the Bills lose, I'll just be sad.

you have been rooting for a sucky team. like everyone else! i can relate to what you're saying.

benching edwards TO ME, is super exciting. it makes the games watchable again. it may not win the sb, but at least you know your qb wont recite a eulogy before getting his @ knocked on the ground. (takes too long in the pocket before making a decision)

rooting for brady is gay! i'll accept "lose the game/better draft position in 2011" but root for the guy?

oh and i read your retraction. not accepted. you need to write a 1000000000 word essay on why you made that mistake. you piece of ***. j/k

how are things in england my boy?