It will be years before this team is competitive

jahnyc

Our drafting and free agent acquisitions over the recent years have been terrible, and now we are paying the price. I thought there was going to be an organizational housecleaning. What happened? Modrak and our scouts need to go. I feel badly writing this, but it is time for a fresh start. I have no confidence that this will be turned around quickly or at all. There are too many holes at too many key positions. Nothing at offensive tackle, qb, outside lb, tight end or wr. If they intend to rely on the draft only, this team will never improve, particularly with our player evaluators.

Our drafting and free agent acquisitions over the recent years have been terrible, and now we are paying the price. I thought there was going to be an organizational housecleaning. What happened? Modrak and our scouts need to go. I feel badly writing this, but it is time for a fresh start. I have no confidence that this will be turned around quickly or at all. There are too many holes at too many key positions. Nothing at offensive tackle, qb, outside lb, tight end or wr. If they intend to rely on the draft only, this team will never improve, particularly with our player evaluators.

It will be as many years as it takes to find a QB...no more no less

I'm giving Nix/Gailey three years. I was hoping they'd be more enjoyable to watch this year but it's clear that they won't.

Last spring, Ralph and Nix hinted at the fact that this team was talent poor. If they can't build something watchable in the next 3 years I might just give up on the franchise

You hit it right on. If we can get a good QB in next years draft, we'll be competitive.

It makes me sad to read these kinds of posts.

One player turning everything around. Did you even watch these past 2 games at all? Or any games the past few years? Or did you just sit around and talk about how much Edwards sucks. Very sad.

I'm giving Nix/Gailey three years. I was hoping they'd be more enjoyable to watch this year but it's clear that they won't.

Last spring, Ralph and Nix hinted at the fact that this team was talent poor. If they can't build something watchable in the next 3 years I might just give up on the franchise

At this rate, is 3 years enough time? They really didn't address any holes on offense this year.

Say they draft a franchise QB next year in the draft, for arguments sake. That's year 2. Year 3, he'll be in his second year. Even if he is another Phillip Rivers, he may not be ready to take out of the oven then. Say nothing of the holes on the line and at WR and TE and FB and on the defense...

This team has so many holes it will take more than drafts to get better, we're gonna need to bring in some FAs that can start. Hope Buddy doesnt sleep the first day of free agency every year.

On the other hand, after his signing of Cornell Green, maybe it would be better if he slept all the way through Free Agency....

One player turning everything around. Did you even watch these past 2 games at all? Or any games the past few years? Or did you just sit around and talk about how much Edwards sucks. Very sad.

Don't be sad, just face it. It is about the QB. You need a good QB and he needs to be blocked for and have playmakers. But you need the QB to be consistently good in the NFL. The Bills are not good and to be a true SB contender they need A LOT of players. But if they were committed to improving the OL and acquired a good QB, they could be competitve right away. Competitive as in actually win 2-3 AFC East games per season and beat good teams at home and be in contention for a wildcard.

The league is not dominated by great teams.....which makes it even more insufferable that it has been a decade without playoffs for Buffalo. A ten year drought in this era is outrageously bad. It would be like a 20 year drought back in the 70's/80's when it was much harder to turn a program around.

They'll start improving when they get a good QB, but they won't start winning until they fill more holes.

With all due respect, what good is a decent QB going to do the Bills if he spends more than half the game on his _ss....they need to start getting the O-line in shape and fast.

Edited by chaccof

You hit it right on. If we can get a good QB in next years draft, we'll be competitive.

This post is asinine. Did you even watch football the past two weeks? It makes no difference who we put in at QB, that is not the problem. We need to draft both lines for starters, then work our way to every other position. The only reason we drafted Spiller was to sell tickets, it seems they never learn, we need linemen to build around.

Edited by bbills17

I think it is more than the QB, but drafting a franchise QB would certainly help. But few, if any, franchise QBs are great in their first couple of years. With our lack of talent and this reality, I think it is going to be some time before we can win consistently. The PFT compensation numbers concern me as well. Seems like there will be an even more significant disparity among teams in the coming years in terms of spending on players, coaches and front office.

When a franchise only drafts little more than 1 multiple-season starter (say nothing of being a standout player) a year in a 7 round draft, their rate of progress is never going to acquire enough talent to truly be "re-building". In today's NFL, a competent front office can turn an average team around fairly quickly with strong drafts, good free agent moves, and shrewd trades. It's actually statistically more rare to go 10 years with total futility, no playoffs, than it is to get to the Super Bowl.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills