The QB We Should Really Target.......Ryan Mallett

H2o

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he doesnt seem to have happy feet at all. He looks like he would knock an LB right off his feet with the ball if he got too close.

His stats are better than Lockers also

Edited by Homer

I started a thread here about Mallett after the first game of Last season. I liked him then and i like now.

I'm with you. After doing extensive analysis, I came away thinking Mallett is the best NFL QB prospect heading into this season.

At the half today he's at 13/17 for 232 yards with 1 TD. He got his team into FG range with 50 seconds left at his own 20 yard line. Throwing a bomb out of the pistol formation (a Gailey favorite). What impresses me the most about Mallett are 2 things: 1) his playaction fakes are some of the best I've ever seen. He carries them out extremely well and really fakes the defense. 2) His feel for the pocket is superior. He often escapes a would be sack and delivers a completion downfield. This is not luck or by accident he feels the pressure around him well. He also has the ability to throw on the move (squaring his shoulders to the line of scrimmage to deliver an accurate ball). Although Mallett's arm is much stronger he reminds me of Phillip Rivers in his ability to work in the pocket and make plays downfield on the move.

Some slight weaknesses would be his velocity/accuracy on short to medium/short passes. Soemtimes he guns them too hard or is slightly off the mark on the shorter passes, but to me this is an easier fix.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd be shocked if Mallett isn't the 1st overall pick in next years draft. I'd love for him to be a Bill, and if there was ever a year to stink the joint up, this may not be a bad year to do so.....because Mallett would be a great pickup for the Bills. His arm would be a welcome addition to Buffalo wind/winters.

Surround Mallet with tall, physical receivers and a solid running game, and I think he thrives in the NFL.

if he bombs next week, will your opinion change?

Next week I believe they have Alabma at home, so it should be a great test for Mallett. If he struggles it wouldn't surprise me, I don't think Arkansas has the talent to win that one, but that game will get a lot of looks by NFL scouts breaking down Mallett. If he puts up a big game he will continue to shoot up draft boards (if he isn't there already).

Next week I believe they have Alabma at home, so it should be a great test for Mallett. If he struggles it wouldn't surprise me, I don't think Arkansas has the talent to win that one, but that game will get a lot of looks by NFL scouts breaking down Mallett. If he puts up a big game he will continue to shoot up draft boards (if he isn't there already).

I was more interested in if the opinion could be changed. If he performs poorly in half the games for the rest of the year, does that change the opinion? If he is a disaster at QB, will the poster still be here saying we should draft him?

Edited by jeremy2020

He's also about to lose to a GA team with a freshman QB and without their top receiver.

Just say "no" to Drew II

Or he might lead the team down the field in three plays to win it.

Of course Brohm looked great in that offense as well, but I think Mallett has it

Edited by djsabres

Or he might lead the team down the field in three plays to win it.

Of course Brohm looked great in that offense as well, but I think Mallett has it

I wish I had as much confidence in him as you guys do...

Why in the world would the Bills draft a QB that throws 40-yard game-winning TD passes with 15 seconds left in the game??? Why would we want a QB with a rating of 192.6 that's thrown for 9 TDs and nearly 1100 yards in his first 3 games???

(Seriously though - for the Bills to win the Ryan Mallett pool, they're probably going to need to finish dead last this season.)