Locker room privacy ??

papazoid

Doesn't anyone else care that this is the same "network" that sent a reporter into the locker room in a wedding dress to propose to Tom Brady and then jump in his arms? This was a publicity stunt and yes, she asked for it because that is what her producers wanted. I work in TV so I know that this is exactly the kind of thing they were hoping would happen.

I'll leave the name calling alone because it doesn't add anything to the conversation that I thought we were having.

dummy, how is it a publicity stunt when IT WASNT HER WHO STARTED ANY OF THIS?!? she didnt complain, she has stated she is embarrassed about the entire thing, she was surprised it got this blown out of proportion.

watch the videos in the espn story i linked and stop making yourself look like a bigger ahole with every post.

Edited by DrDankenstein

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are male reporters allowed into WNBA or women's college or professional soccer teams' locker rooms?

How are male reporters in WNBA locker rooms relative in this discussion? I think the issue is Reporters of the opposite sex being in the locker rooms.

Edited by Stl Bills

So....was it because he said "packages"?.

It sounded to me like he basically said, their doing a job and can't act on it, but a straight woman in a room with 53 naked athletes is going to be attracted to at least one of them. I'm still trying to find the source of the outrage.

"all of the sudden you see a nice woman in the locker room, I think men are going to tend to turn and look and want to say something to that woman". (i took his comments to mean....that it's natural for guys to "say something" ...cat calls, whistling and harrassing comments included... is normal and to be expected).

"And I mean, you put a woman and you give her a choice of 53 athletes, somebody got to be appealing to her. You know, somebody got to spark her interest, or she’s gonna want somebody. I don’t know what kind of woman won’t, if you get to go and look at 53 men’s packages.".......(which says a women reporter is incapable of acting in a strictly professional businesslike manner going about her profession in a locker room just like her male counterparts).

Until the day where physical appearance doesn't factor in on the hiring of any single reporter in this country, male or female (in other words: NEVER), this issue won't go away.

I know it's a little off topic, but that reminds me of the Andrea Kremer fiasco about 10 yrs ago. For those that don't remember, Andrea got old and lost her looks so they looked to replace her with a cute side line info-babe. Andrea became insensed that her looks would be a factor because, of course, her looks didn't impact her ability to do sideline interviews, which is what she incorrectly thought her job was. Her job was to help ratings.

She didn't find it so offensive when she got the job for being nice to look at, but once the looks faded she conveniently found herself a set of principles.

"all of the sudden you see a nice woman in the locker room, I think men are going to tend to turn and look and want to say something to that woman". (i took his comments to mean....that it's natural for guys to "say something" ...cat calls, whistling and harrassing comments included... is normal and to be expected).

"And I mean, you put a woman and you give her a choice of 53 athletes, somebody got to be appealing to her. You know, somebody got to spark her interest, or she’s gonna want somebody. I don’t know what kind of woman won’t, if you get to go and look at 53 men’s packages.".......(which says a women reporter is incapable of acting in a strictly professional businesslike manner going about her profession in a locker room just like her male counterparts).

People need to lighten up

I get really sick and tired of society expecting people to be perfect. I do not support this brainwashing and stripping of perergative called 'political correctness'. There's a place where the sun don't shine for these views. Men should be men, and we should never loose our boy-like youth. Have fun.

I think Inaez got exactly what she deserved. Sports reporters are welcome on the sideline, in the booth, and in a conference room, not in the locker room... that's private.

I get really sick and tired of society expecting people to be perfect. I do not support this brainwashing and stripping of perergative called 'political correctness'. There's a place where the sun don't shine for these views. Men should be men, and we should never loose our boy-like youth. Have fun.

I think Inaez got exactly what she deserved. Sports reporters are welcome on the sideline, in the booth, and in a conference room, not in the locker room... that's private.

You are confusing "boy like youth" with adolescent stupidity. And the locker room was NOT private. That's the point. It should be, IMO, but it isn't. I guess you think it's too much to ask grown men to act respectably for a few minutes. Pathetic!

You are confusing "boy like youth" with adolescent stupidity. And the locker room was NOT private. That's the point. It should be, IMO, but it isn't. I guess you think it's too much to ask grown men to act respectably for a few minutes. Pathetic!

I'm a little confused on where exactly the line is for things like this though. The reporter doesn't seem to care at all, but the players' actions offended someone else who wasn't even involved. Is it even possible for someone to do something that won't offend a single person on the face of the earth?

I'm a little confused on where exactly the line is for things like this though. The reporter doesn't seem to care at all, but the players' actions offended someone else who wasn't even involved. Is it even possible for someone to do something that won't offend a single person on the face of the earth?

No, you are right about that. I wasn't referring specifically to the most recent incident in my comments, but to the topic in general. The best approach, IMO, by BOTH sides is to keep it professional. Might there be a joke that will offend? Of course. But those situations should be rare and happen irrespective of the reporter's or athlete's sex. I was really talking about sexual remarks and/or innuendo in the locker room between reporters and athletes.

As to the Sainz, it doesn't matter if she's wearing tight jeans. That is professional dress for her occupation at her network, believe it or not. I can understand if she wasn't offended, or prefers to not make that complaint given her job. But if others noticed it, and it was fairly obvious/blatant, it's probably best addressed before something happens that is even more obviously offensive. It's best to nip this stuff at the bud (so to speak), IMO.

thanks once again Mr. Happy for having a true insight into how we, as reporters, do our jobs. the next time you have an issue in your line of profession, please feel free to contact me so that i can offer up my extensive knowledge on that front in a quid pro quo.

jw

Come on jw, we all watch TV. We see the mics jammed in front of the athletes face at his locker as he says "we didn't give 110% today", We were beaten by the better team tonight", "we've got a lot of work to do", "these guys really played great tonight", "we're not going to linger on this (win/loss), we're looking forward to playing (insert opponent) next week".

What are we missing? What's the deep background we need to interpret these profound nuggets?

I'm quite happy, not to worry!

i agree that nothing "that bad" happened in this incident, and the reporter feels the same way. i also think whoever is blowing this up in the media is stupid and just looking for a story where there isnt any. i also agree that NO reporters should be allowed in the locker room and have never understood the need for people to crowd around guys when they have just showered and want to get dressed.

however, i also understand:

1. that players are "grown ass men" as so many of them put it, and should be able to act respectfully and like adults.

2. the league's need to investigate and squelch this type of behavior. if they let this slide, then it sends the message that it's ok for players to act like a bunch of horny ponies and do whatever they want. it's only a matter of time until something worse happens and then the league gets sued. they are only protecting themselves from future lawsuit.

this is what she wore into the locker room..

she should have known wearing these skin tight jeans she was gonna get hit on...woman know what they are doing

http://twitpic.com/2nu00w

look at the rear..nuff said. I damn sure would hit on mami if she came into the locker room too. lol

Edited by Bufcomments

Portis said nothing wrong. What he said was simply the way it is. if you spoke to any one of the players in private they'd say the same thing. You cannot go against nature and pretend the male-female dynamics don't exist in that situation.

The problem is this ridiculous pc environment we find ourselves intersecting with this extreme interpretation of equality.

if equal access is the priority, then by all means get all reporters -- male and female -- out of the locker room. Why should these athletes required to do something in the locker that they'd go to jail for if they did it on the outside?