THE FACTS ABOUT KELSAY

Dr. Trooth

A lot of posters on this board get a "woody" bashing Kelsay all the time.

Kelsay is no pro bowler. But, he's no slouch either. Maybe it's because he doesn't have a lot of sacks. Can you name more than a handful of LDEs that do?

OK, he's not the perfect DE. But, the fact is he's still a starter for the Bills. He's started for 7 seasons at LDE and missed only 2 games... How many starting DEs can say that? He's on his 4th GM and his 4th head coach, and he's still standing and starting. Are 4 Gms and 4 HCs totally stupid and the bashers smart? Now, Kelsay, in his 8th season is asked to convert to OLB in a 3-4 defense after playing his entire at DE career in a 4-3, and welcomes the challenge.

This just in folks, Kelsay is not what's wrong with the Bills. The Bills defense is not what is wrong with the Bills. The special teams are not what is wrong with the Bills. The Bills offense is the single biggest problem the Bills have... in particular, the QB and OTs, in that order.

So... if you want to bash a Bills player, why would you pick on Kelsay? There are at least 20 players other than Kelsay that you could shred.

4 GMs and 4 Coaches have liked Kelsay's body of work and his peers elected him captain again. That's fact. Do you think they're all stupid?

Kelsay is no pro bowler. But, he's no slouch either. Maybe it's because he doesn't have a lot of sacks. Can you name more than a handful of LDEs that do?

OK, he's not the perfect DE. But, the fact is he's still a starter for the Bills. He's started for 7 seasons at LDE and missed only 2 games... How many starting DEs can say that? He's on his 4th GM and his 4th head coach, and he's still standing and starting. Are 4 Gms and 4 HCs totally stupid and the bashers smart? Now, Kelsay, in his 8th season is asked to convert to OLB in a 3-4 defense after playing his entire at DE career in a 4-3, and welcomes the challenge.

This just in folks, Kelsay is not what's wrong with the Bills. The Bills defense is not what is wrong with the Bills. The special teams are not what is wrong with the Bills. The Bills offense is the single biggest problem the Bills have... in particular, the QB and OTs, in that order.

So... if you want to bash a Bills player, why would you pick on Kelsay? There are at least 20 players other than Kelsay that you could shred.

4 GMs and 4 Coaches have liked Kelsay's body of work and his peers elected him captain again. That's fact. Do you think they're all stupid?

I'd like to welcome Chris Kelsay's mother to the board. :devil:

Great post and all. Problem is i think you stated the problem with him in your own post "He's started for 7 seasons at LDE." And therein lies the problem. We are playing a 3-4 where Kelsay is asked to play OLB, not DE. And from what was seen sunday, the guy can't handle it. He was horrendous in pass coverage, which i'm sorry to say is required of a 3-4 OLB. Not to mention when he was rushing the QB, he got no pressure. Listen he may have a serviceable DE, but he just doesn't have the speed to be playing OLB. I'm not saying we give up on him right away, because he honestly didn't have much of a preseason, but other teams are gonna watch film on him, see he can't cover, and go right after him.

I have always thought there was an unwarranted amount of Kelsay haters about.

You're right when you say Kelsay is not what's wrong with the Bills. He's a great guy and yeah, he's stuck on the team through multiple coaches.

That said, he's awful as an OLB. Flat out terrible. I don't know if you went to the game or not, but if you watched him live like I did, he was absolutely lost in pass coverage. A lot of times, the Dolphins ran multiple guys through his area. One across his face to his inside, in which he bit in coverage several times where he shouldn't have (because he had help inside). Then, while he's biting, trying to cover the inside route, they ran another player to his area outside. Watching him trying to recover after making a mistake was absolutley horrifying. He's an awful OLB. Period. He can't cover. He loses battles head on in the running game. He also lost contain multiple times in the run game.

I like Kelsay, but I can't believe they are trying him at OLB. If the Bills are rebuilding, it makes no sense for him to be in the spot, ALTHOUGH, with all of the injuries already, maybe there is no choice at the moment. The Bills were more effective with other packages in the second half.

I don't think anyone dislikes Kelsay, he's just not an OLB. He was lost on Sunday. And not lost because he doesn't understand his schemes. Lost because he doens't have nearly enough talent to play the position they are asking him to play. And when you have a situation like that, shame on the coaching staff for putting him out there to fail.

Edited by Lv-Bills

You're right when you say Kelsay is not what's wrong with the Bills. He's a great guy and yeah, he's stuck on the team through multiple coaches.

That said, he's awful as an OLB. Flat out terrible. I don't know if you went to the game or not, but if you watched him live like I did, he was absolutely lost in pass coverage. A lot of times, the Dolphins ran multiple guys through his area. One across his face to his inside, in which he bit in coverage several times where he shouldn't have (because he had help inside). Then, while he's biting, trying to cover the inside route, they ran another player to his area outside. Watching him trying to recover after making a mistake was absolutley horrifying. He's an awful OLB. Period. He can't cover. He loses battles head on in the running game. He also lost contain multiple times in the run game.

I like Kelsay, but I can't believe they are trying him at OLB. If the Bills are rebuilding, it makes no sense for him to be in the spot, ALTHOUGH, with all of the injuries already, maybe there is no choice at the moment. The Bills were more effective with other packages in the second half.

I don't think anyone dislikes Kelsay, he's just not an OLB. He was lost on Sunday. And not lost because he doesn't understand his schemes. Lost because he doens't have nearly enough talent to play the position they are asking him to play. And when you have a situation like that, shame on the coaching staff for putting him out there to fail.

agreed

Kelsay is a workhorse and a good locker room guy but as most of us saw sunday he was just plain out of place. I'm all for Blue collar players but he doesn't have the talent to be playing OLB.

I would never bash Kelsay... He seems like a great guy and he was a decent stop-gap type DE ... He simply cannot play in space. Period. All he will be able to do from his new position is defend the run. Nothing against him.

Personally, I like Kelsay...My wife makes me bash him

Just for the woody

Kelsay is a shining example of the dis-function and poor decision making of the Buffalo Bills organization the past ten years. He was the starting DE because we have no one better and they have not addressed this position properly in the draft which is why he has kept his job over the years. In terms of DE he would a 2nd to 3rd string player on most teams. In terms of playing linebacker, he should not be even on a NFL team.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Kelsay is exactly what is wrong with the Bills... making a career loser a team captain = EPIC FAIL, all he knows is how to lose. :thumbdown:

Normally I'm all about not being too hard on the whipping boy players on this team because they are all given far too little credit for what they do. I even share that opinion of Kelsey to a certain extent.

That being said, you picked a poor week to post this because Kelsey looked terrible whenever he was 5 yards past the LOS. He also blew a few run assignments that were costly. I'm willing to give him a chance or two more, but he's not getting aa pass from me either. He sucked bad.

Normally I'm all about not being too hard on the whipping boy players on this team because they are all given far too little credit for what they do. I even share that opinion of Kelsey to a certain extent.

That being said, you picked a poor week to post this because Kelsey looked terrible whenever he was 5 yards past the LOS. He also blew a few run assignments that were costly. I'm willing to give him a chance or two more, but he's not getting aa pass from me either. He sucked bad.

He looked bad at the line of scrimmage a couple of times too. One play I can remember is a delayed run, where his job was to contain and seal the edge. He got caught up inside, not even engaged with an offensive player, but just not in the right position, and the RB took it outside for a big gain. He of course (like he always does) ran like heck after the guy and I believe was part of the tackle.

Yes, I think they're all stupid.

He is an absolute trainwreck out there trying to play linebacker. He was a below-average defensive end. He is humiliatingly bad playing in space as a linebacker.

Every single snap, he'll turn his back to the line of scrimmage, run ploddingly for a bit, then if the ball is near him, the carrier will run around him while he shows off the hip-turn and change of direction ability of...well...a lineman.

You don't have to use some sort of transcendental, next-level thinking to figure out why he is on this team. He probably is one whale of a nice guy, and maybe his teammates/employers like him. That can account for someone with substandard ability thriving within the organization (this is pretty horrible too, tbh).

Just use your eyes. Don't over-think it. Don't search for a deeper meaning. Just watch him play.

Sorry Kelsay's Mom, but your son is very, very bad at his job.

Yes.

Its always easy to blame big contract players, they somehow have to save the world.

Phil Hanson got the same rap :flirt:

I don't recall Hanson getting a bad rap. I thought he was a very good player who got his due when playing here.