Biggest Issue at The Ralph Sunday

Ever Since '86

Blah, Blah, Blah. 15-20 years ago, your friends would have gotten their asses kicked and not just by drunk Bills fans but the security and cops too.

Times have changed bud. Certain teams have figured out that the NFL is an entertainment business, and have promoted and acted accordingly. The thug mentality that prevails at Bills games is not long for the League, and if things don't change at the Ralph, it will only hasten the Bills' demise. I'm serious. The NFL wants fans like me, who are willing to shell out money to bring their entire family to a game. They don't want angry, drunken thugs who come to the games looking to start fights.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this.

As I posted elsewhere, I am thinking about calling it quits with this team and it is NOT because of the horrible product on the field. That, I've learned to endure.

I've been to dozens of games at the Ralph, I've sat everywhere, and I thought I'd seen it all. Sunday made me think otherwise, and I was sitting in expensive seats. The lowlights:

1) I saw a handicapped woman get heckled for taking too long to get down the stairs. She was being assisted, slowly, by an attendant, and someone yelled "Get a f'ing walker." (If that heckler is reading this, you should be ashamed of yourself - honestly, you are an a-hole to the core.)

2) After the non-call when Trent got roughed up along the sidelines, the idiot drunk kid sitting next to me turned to me and said, about the ref (who is African-American), "Typical f'ing n'er." (If you're reading this, you're a drain on society and should just throw yourself off of a bridge today.)

3) Some guy insisted on standing the whole time, even though he was about 6'3" and was standing in front of two small boys, whose father pleaded with him to please sit so they could watch the game. He responded, "Not at a Bills game - not a chance." (If you're reading this, Mr. Pollack - I assume that's your name because that was the last name on the Bills jersey you were wearing - you have no class. None.)

4) There were drunk teenagers everywhere. Beyond drunk - totally blacked out drunk, wasted, by the second quarter. (If you were one of them: listen, I like to party with the rest of you, but you really need to learn how to control yourselves. Seriously, get a freakin' life. It's just alcohol, and this isn't Russia, your lives cannot be that miserable that your only outlet is to get so inebriated on Sunday afternoons that you can't see straight. Time to be an adult and be productive. Sorry to be the one to tell you that, but obviously your own parents didn't/aren't.)

This was just a snippet, there was plenty more. And you know what? Despite what some of you might think, it's not like this at every stadium. Giants fans are very knowledgeable, passionate fans, but they don't act like complete jackasses. Same with Redskins fans and even Ravens fans. Really, the Bills, Jets, Eagles, and Browns are in a miserable class by themselves, and there is no excuse for it. I don't know if I can associate myself with it any longer. Perhaps I'm just getting older, or perhaps it really is getting worse. I don't know, but I don't think I could ever bring my kids to something like that, which is very, very sad.

Wrong about the Redskins. I brought my son, who's a Skins fan, to a Skins home game. I wore Jim Kelly, he wore an old Jacoby. I had more F laiden words yelled at me while standing next to my 10 year old son. We live in Virginia now and I'm glad he's a skins fan and not a Bills. He's got something to cheer about and 3 Superbowls in their history. But Skins fan were absolutely vicious to me while with my little boy. They're no better than the idiots at the Ralph. Idiots and drunks are at every stadium and on every corner of America.

Wrong about the Redskins. I brought my son, who's a Skins fan, to a Skins home game. I wore Jim Kelly, he wore an old Jacoby. I had more F laiden words yelled at me while standing next to my 10 year old son. We live in Virginia now and I'm glad he's a skins fan and not a Bills. He's got something to cheer about and 3 Superbowls in their history. But Skins fan were absolutely vicious to me while with my little boy. They're no better than the idiots at the Ralph. Idiots and drunks are at every stadium and on every corner of America.

Well, I've been to (for example) Giants Stadium in full-on Bills gear, openly cheering as the Bills laid a spanking on the Giants, and everyone was very polite about it. I agree there are drunks everywhere, but at the Ralph the proportion is through the roof.

I agree with this.

As I posted elsewhere, I am thinking about calling it quits with this team and it is NOT because of the horrible product on the field. That, I've learned to endure.

I've been to dozens of games at the Ralph, I've sat everywhere, and I thought I'd seen it all. Sunday made me think otherwise, and I was sitting in expensive seats. The lowlights:

1) I saw a handicapped woman get heckled for taking too long to get down the stairs. She was being assisted, slowly, by an attendant, and someone yelled "Get a f'ing walker." (If that heckler is reading this, you should be ashamed of yourself - honestly, you are an a-hole to the core.)

2) After the non-call when Trent got roughed up along the sidelines, the idiot drunk kid sitting next to me turned to me and said, about the ref (who is African-American), "Typical f'ing n'er." (If you're reading this, you're a drain on society and should just throw yourself off of a bridge today.)

3) Some guy insisted on standing the whole time, even though he was about 6'3" and was standing in front of two small boys, whose father pleaded with him to please sit so they could watch the game. He responded, "Not at a Bills game - not a chance." (If you're reading this, Mr. Pollack - I assume that's your name because that was the last name on the Bills jersey you were wearing - you have no class. None.)

4) There were drunk teenagers everywhere. Beyond drunk - totally blacked out drunk, wasted, by the second quarter. (If you were one of them: listen, I like to party with the rest of you, but you really need to learn how to control yourselves. Seriously, get a freakin' life. It's just alcohol, and this isn't Russia, your lives cannot be that miserable that your only outlet is to get so inebriated on Sunday afternoons that you can't see straight. Time to be an adult and be productive. Sorry to be the one to tell you that, but obviously your own parents didn't/aren't.)

This was just a snippet, there was plenty more. And you know what? Despite what some of you might think, it's not like this at every stadium. Giants fans are very knowledgeable, passionate fans, but they don't act like complete jackasses. Same with Redskins fans and even Ravens fans. Really, the Bills, Jets, Eagles, and Browns are in a miserable class by themselves, and there is no excuse for it. I don't know if I can associate myself with it any longer. Perhaps I'm just getting older, or perhaps it really is getting worse. I don't know, but I don't think I could ever bring my kids to something like that, which is very, very sad.

I just got back from the game, and I hate posts like this, but I will make two points. One counter, and one in favor.

1. I sat in my new season ticket location, and there wasn't one problem. Not one. No fights. No drunks. No language. No nothing really. Matter of fact, this team has pretty much killed the atmosphere at the Ralph.

2. In favor of your post though, I've also been to many NFL stadiums and Buffalo seems to have the most drunks out of anywhere I've ever seen. I just don't get it either, but it also doesn't really bother me too much. But yeah, even when Sabres fans travel elsewhere, they seem to think that the gameday experience revolves around alcohol, which is really kind of sad. They made a mockery of themselves in Carolina. A repuatation that still lives in their minds down there today.

HOWEVER, until the Bills start winning or at the very least becoming competitive, the stands are going to get uglier and uglier. More visiting fans are going to start to flood the place. More young people are going to go just to use the game as an excuse to party and not really care about the game. It's going to be very ugly at the end of this year. Wait until the Pittsburgh game and morale is unbearable for Bills fans. I'm not sure Pittsburgh won't have more fans there than us.

If you think it's bad now, just wait.......it's going to be downright ugly toward the end of the season.

Because it should be something I should be able to share with my kids, like my father did with me. Do you have kids? Not being a jerk, just asking. I think if you do, you'll understand.

I used to make it up for one game a year until my wife and I had our son. He's 6 now and we haven't been to a game since he's been born and I don't plan on taking him until he's 12 or 13 at the earliest. The Ralph just has too many drunks/idiots to want to subject my 6 year old to.

Contrast that with baseball. I'm a lifelong Phillies fan and living in the NYC area I get down to a handful games a year. Sure, there's the occasional idiot who tries to ruin it for everybody else but I have yet to see a fight or anybody needing to be thrown out of the game (and I've gone to 10+ games the past 3 seasons.) As such I'm taking my kid to his first bball game next monday (the first game in a big series against the Braves.)

The pathetic part of all this is that I'm willing to take my kid of PHILADELPHIA, the town known for idiotic behavior, the town who people ripped on for having a jail underneath the Vet, the town known for booing their own team... but I'm not willing to take him to a Bills game. This should tell you all you need to know about how bad the Ralph is. Granted, there is a big difference between baseball crowds and football crowds, but still, the Ralph is just out of control.

Well, I've been to (for example) Giants Stadium in full-on Bills gear, openly cheering as the Bills laid a spanking on the Giants, and everyone was very polite about it. I agree there are drunks everywhere, but at the Ralph the proportion is through the roof.

Try it at a Jets game. Sat there, quiet, not drunk, not even cheering because the team blew that day. For my pleasure, I had a drunken yay-hoo with an obnoxious longguyland accent talking directly in my ear. Like right next to me. It was all I could do not to kick his ass.

i concur that it is exceptionally distressing to see fans of one team viciously heckle and threaten fans of other teams, but im not ready to say its far worse here than other places. id agree its somewhat worse here due to the tailgating and increased drunkenness, but ive been to games in many cities and ive seen it almost everywhere. the one place i didnt see much of it was in atlanta but that stadium is like a country club almost and the fans arent very passionate so not much of anything happens. plus i would say that philly was the worst, and cleveland is pretty much the same as bflo

most people are very cool but it only takes a few to make everybody look bad. i know when somebody is getting out of line near me i will speak up and tell them to knock it off, but most people dont do that so hecklers feel like they can do what they want. beer muscles dont help at all either

Because it should be something I should be able to share with my kids, like my father did with me. Do you have kids? Not being a jerk, just asking. I think if you do, you'll understand.

So you'd rather quit the team than watch the game from home?

Went to the game Sunday with a few of my friends from school who are Dolphins fans. Was not their first time at The Ralph so they were prepaired for the abuse and they got it... I'm all for my buddies getting bagged on but cheesus rice the bills fans who made comments to my buddies were pathetic...they did not get one original or funny comment all day...**** some of the drunk hardasses were just trying to pick fights with them for wearing their teams jersey... worst comment of the day "hey the justin beiber concert is down the street"... I felt obligated to turn around and tell the toolbag with no bills appearal on whatsoever just how big of a tool he was... I'm all for my bills fans beiong rowdy and mouthy..but yesterdays trash talking performance was nothing more then pathetic... Get original you dumb drunk fawks :)

Dude really? If thats the worst your friends had to endure they should hear some others of the things I heard being hurled at Dolphin fans. I did not see fisticuffs anywhere.

As my signature shows I am a Giants fan and I would not wear (might not even go) to a Giants game at the Ralph. Not worth the hassle.

Edited by NyQuil

I hope the Bills fans don't turn the general thoughts of Buffalo into those like the Dolfans or the Philliefans those people are just jerks and i hope that Bills fans have a little more caracter than other fans in the league !!

Edited by T master

I gave up my season tix because of this. I could give a rats a** about home team fans giving crap to opponents decked out in jerseys. I just couldn't stomach my kid watching the (home team) loutish, drunken behavior. Puking, swearing, falling down, fighting, you name it and it goes on at RWS big-time. I've been to my share of NFL and MLB stadiums and there's nothing like Bills games anywhere else in pro sports.

It's everything mentioned here; the economy, lousy or no jobs, no education, no future, etc. People get super-trashed for various reasons. There just sems to be a ton of them at Bills games. Buffalo never was a "classy" town, but on Sundays in OP, it denigrates into a thunderdome-like atmosphere of slobs and bums.

I agree with this.

I was at the Ralph yesterday.

I too am getting pretty tired of the knuckle heads, aged 18-28, that get drunk and abusive, use profanity with woman and children within earshot, and think they are just being loyal fans. Most of them know nothing about the Bills or football.

I have know ne specific example that anyone has not seen or heard, just getting tired of the bad behavior and the rotten pop culture that has invaded the country.

I agree with this.

ATTENTION PARENTS: There is a VERY good chance you hear swears at a football game. If you are THAT worried about hearing swear words then stay the F home. I have a 10 yo and when I pull up to the stadium, I am ready for some cuss wordsm and we always come away with a few more in our vocab thn we left with. I KNOW this going in, and I made the choice to expose my precious angel to the harsh real world of grown ups swearing. REALLY...who do you people think you are? it is a GD football game. GROW UP. Little Johnny hears worse at his catholic school, get over it you puss.

If you are a Miami fan, and choose to show it then you are glutton for punishment, and I hope you like lots of nasty words and all the free beer coming your way. Jerseys dry fast and you wouldnt be covered in beer if you didnt wear yours. If you cant take it, then dont walk around with an orange target on your back. When I go down to Miami I DO wear my Bills jerseys...Annnd..wait for it....I EXPECT TO GET RAZZED (sometimes those big meanys even say the F word!!). I am a big boy and I dont cry and I am no worse off for it. There are NO BIGGER VJ FANS IN THE NFL than Dolphin fans. BOOO HOOO.

ATTENTION PARENTS: There is a VERY good chance you hear swears at a football game. If you are THAT worried about hearing swear words then stay the F home. I have a 10 yo and when I pull up to the stadium, I am ready for some cuss wordsm and we always come away with a few more in our vocab thn we left with. I KNOW this going in, and I made the choice to expose my precious angel to the harsh real world of grown ups swearing. REALLY...who do you people think you are? it is a GD football game. GROW UP. Little Johnny hears worse at his catholic school, get over it you puss.

If you are a Miami fan, and choose to show it then you are glutton for punishment, and I hope you like lots of nasty words and all the free beer coming your way. Jerseys dry fast and you wouldnt be covered in beer if you didnt wear yours. If you cant take it, then dont walk around with an orange target on your back. When I go down to Miami I DO wear my Bills jerseys...Annnd..wait for it....I EXPECT TO GET RAZZED (sometimes those big meanys even say the F word!!). I am a big boy and I dont cry and I am no worse off for it. There are NO BIGGER VJ FANS IN THE NFL than Dolphin fans. BOOO HOOO.

You sound exactly like the kind of vermin decent folks want to avoid. Congrats.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I also think it has something to do with the behavior of the fans for the opposing team. There were some Dolphin fans in my section. One of them looked like Vanilla Ice. He was talking trash to the entire section throughout the game. People gave him a hard time but generally left the other Dolphin fans alone. It should be common sense to not heckle the home fans at an NFL game when you have the away team's jersey on. Frankly, I'm suprised the guy didn't get it much worse given the way he was acting.

As far as the booze is concerned, I don't think that the NFL is even remotely concerned about excessive drinking. Pay attention to the commercials during the next game. 30% involve drinking. Teams make a ton of money from concessions and the tailgating scene has contributed greatly to the rise of the NFL in popularity. I believe that many people who attend NFL games care as much about the tailgate as they do the actual game. Drinking will not be severed from the NFL sunday experience. It goes on at every stadium, every weekend, in total excess.

Sorry -- but if I spend the bucks to take my family to a game, I don't want to have to deal with losers like you. Buying a ticket to an event doesn't give you the right to be an a**hole and spoil things for enyone within earshot.

I too am getting pretty tired of the knuckle heads, aged 18-28, that get drunk and abusive, use profanity with woman and children within earshot, and think they are just being loyal fans. Most of them know nothing about the Bills or football.

Really, profanity within reach of a woman's ears? Heaven forbid an adult hears a few naughty words. This isn't 1958.

Edit: If you were talking about them yelling at the woman who needed help walking then I agree with you.

Edited by NyQuil