News Flash: The O-Line Played Well Today (sans Green)

Got_Wood

Actually Bill , if you have respect for a differing opinion, no Trent was not horrible... and you know I'm a Bills fan, not a "Trent fan" or any other individual over another so I have no motive to protect him.

some points I observed through careful observation:

The Phins were in the backfield all day long. Anyone that is saying Trent had ample time to throw is not accurate.

The interior line was awful (not just the tackles), including Wood unfortunately ... and there was no pocket to step up into

Bell was a lot better than Green, who has been awful so far.

Receivers did not come back to the ball well when he was forced out of the pocket.

He didn't have a particularly good game but he did look like a guy that's learned a few things in the off-season from someone who knows how to coach offense.

He had good zip on his throws and was accurate other than the last drive where that went out the window.

A couple good pass plays were called back by penalties.

He kept his head down the field a lot more than last season.

He looks like he is enjoying the challenge at not thinking as much about the rush all the time.

If the Line can gel a little bit over the season, he may look better and better but that is yet to be seen....

You are quite accurate in your post, and you can add that in the very first two pass plays, the first hit Fred Jackson in the hands and he dropped it. The next, Bell stood there and watched like a spectator as Edwards was driven into the turf by Carlos Dansby who was more untouched than I was sitting in a recliner watching the game.

YOU rewatch the game and notice how Trent is pressured all day. Notice Miami rushing four and STILL sacking Trent. That was Bell's man who got the sack too. Notice Trent taking hits everywhere. Notice the pocket collapsing right away. Notice how many defenders got a free run at Trent. Notice how he was running for his life. Notice how he had NO time to throw, he never had a pocket to step up into, he never had time to let the routes develop, he never had time to let his receivers get open. Also notice how few rushing yards we had. That line sucked as a whole. I mean no offence to you sir, but you're being naive. The line sucked. Big time. You're way off.

You hit the nail on the head. :thumbsup:

After watching that game, I was actually really impressed with our O-line. Especially Demetrius Bell. They gave Trent a good pocket out there for the most part, and Trent had plenty of time to throw the ball. The one exception was Green. He doesn't have quick enough feet, and he doesn't have a hard enough punch to play right tackle. He was getting beat around the corner pretty routinely.

Guess what guys, Trent is not a very good Quarterback. You can't stand in the pocket that long without throwing the football down field and expect to be successful. I think this city forgot what a good QB looks like. Trent doesn't take risks, he doesn't see routes develop like an NFL QB should, he doesn't have a tough competitive drive, and he plays scared. I've seen enough of this. You don't have the luxury in the NFL to give guys this much time to develop. Give the ball to Fitzpatrick and see what he can do.

Miami's OL played a very good game. If their WR's hold on to the ball and if Henne is better the game is a complete blow out.

Buffalo's OL played a very poor game. All three tackles gave up a sacks. All three were blown up on running plays. All three did not hold up on screens. Green was the worst but all there are way below average.

Our tackles are a 7th round project, and Practice Squad refugee, and a UDRFA that toiled miserably on a bad OL in Oakland.

Chan did not even try to match the best part of our OL, the interior, up against Miami's interior. Chan's gameplan was to attack the edges and it was a bad plan.

HELP NEEDED.

Yeah I heard ya right.... I just meant that my opinion differed from what 80% of everyone else was telling you and I hoped you could respect that. The Parrish pass was an easy throw but a good early read on the safety.

I'm hoping that at least the interior line will get their act together and allow for a pocket to step into in the coming weeks. It would be nice to see a little offense even though we'll surely lose the next 2...

That drive looked good. I had mixed feelings about it though. There were two keys to that drive. Trent threw the ball quickly....and Parrish was wide open on busted coverage. In the regular season if a WR isn't wide open Trent won't throw a catch-able ball.

I feel terrible for saying it but I also felt bad about that drive because it gave the Trent appologists something to cling to. Every once in a while Trent actually looks like an NFL QB and has a decent throw or decent drive. They cling to these plays that are as rare as the planets aligning and think that Trent is a diamond that just needs to be polished. If Trent hadn't had that drive and ended the game at a 50% completion rate with 80 yards even the most delusional supported would have had to admit he sucked. More importantly the coaches would have seen the truest of Trent's colors and started working on plan B. Plan B being preparing anyone but Trent to take over in a moments notice.

+10

I just don't get why the OP even started this thread after watching the O line try and run and pass block and fail in so many ways. Green was the worst by far, the others weren't that far behind him

Agreed....that O-line looked awful. Even Wood wasn't moving anyone.

Dude, you have had it in for Trent Edwards all along and now you are just looking for every opportunity to cast blame. I'm glad I don't work with a dumb@ss like you. The line may have played well for their talent level but no more. There are some major issues with the OL and if you open your eyes you might actually see it. Or maybe you need to lay off of the alcohol, wacky weed or crack so you make an observation that isn't tainted by a chemical imbalance.

I think there's enough discussion about Trent Edwards.

That drive looked good. I had mixed feelings about it though. There were two keys to that drive. Trent threw the ball quickly....and Parrish was wide open on busted coverage. In the regular season if a WR isn't wide open Trent won't throw a catch-able ball.

I feel terrible for saying it but I also felt bad about that drive because it gave the Trent appologists something to cling to. Every once in a while Trent actually looks like an NFL QB and has a decent throw or decent drive. They cling to these plays that are as rare as the planets aligning and think that Trent is a diamond that just needs to be polished. If Trent hadn't had that drive and ended the game at a 50% completion rate with 80 yards even the most delusional supported would have had to admit he sucked. More importantly the coaches would have seen the truest of Trent's colors and started working on plan B. Plan B being preparing anyone but Trent to take over in a moments notice.

That drive looked good because Miami went to prevent defense. I enjoyed that drive as it gave us a reason to cheer at the game, and a sense that just maybe we can pull this off. I understand what your saying though, this skews Trent's performance a little. I just don't get how people didn't see the same Trent out there we saw last year after game 2. It is like a bad dream on repeat.

The O-Line did not look as good as I hoped they would this game. Every single one had mistakes, but Greens were the most notable. A lot of the problems the line faced, especially on running plays, had to due with too many defenders in the box with not enough blockers. Since we kept running the ball out of the shotgun, there were several plays where MIA had all 8 guys closer to the LOS than our RB. Those kinds of situations need an audible to a pass. There were also issues picking up the blitzes. Whether they were delayed blitzes or overloaded ones coming from one side of the line (see the sack on Edwards on the first drive) those need to be identified and the blocking or play call adjusted accordingly.

View Postlets_go_bills, on 12 September 2010 - 11:16 PM, said:

YOU rewatch the game and notice how Trent is pressured all day. Notice Miami rushing four and STILL sacking Trent. That was Bell's man who got the sack too. Notice Trent taking hits everywhere. Notice the pocket collapsing right away. Notice how many defenders got a free run at Trent. Notice how he was running for his life. Notice how he had NO time to throw, he never had a pocket to step up into, he never had time to let the routes develop, he never had time to let his receivers get open. Also notice how few rushing yards we had. That line sucked as a whole. I mean no offence to you sir, but you're being naive. The line sucked. Big time. You're way off.

Three issues about the pressure that Trent faced.

1) Question: When Trent did experience that pressure, how often was it about 3 seconds or later after the snap of the ball?

2) Statement: No NFL quarter back it going to ever play this game without pressure. The competent ones know how to handle it and be productive.

3) Questions: What can we do to improve the offensive line this year? (Pretty much nothing) What can we do to improve the QB position? (Play one of our QBs who makes quicker decisions, throws down field and has maneuverability)

I (God help me) rewatched the game. The play of the tackles was not good, Bell/Merdeth were not good, Green was horrible. I am not a Trent hater, but over four years he has had different O lines, different receivers and different coaches, same results. He is the one constant.

Watching Flacco last night, a pretty good QB, if he sees a receiver one on one, he trust his receiver to make a play and anticipates. Trent just does not do this.

Everyone here seems to be forgetting that we have a brand new coaching staff, brand new offensive system, terminology, etc.

While the preseason was encouraging, now there are no vanilla defenses and the o-line is going to have problems executing the play called while also adjusting their blocking assignments for defensive stunts.

I only saw the game on the internet (hard to see individual players). Seemed like everyone on the line had breakdowns at various times, the only position that seemed to have more of them was the right tackle position. Trent did not have a great pocket but he had time to throw on many occasions, just not sure if it was appropriate amount for the play called.

Our offense looked like an offense with a new coaching staff/playbook. It's going to take time.

I'm most disappointed with Chan Gailey in all this. Couldn't run at first and the guy pretty much went passing game most of the game. This team has got to focus on the run. Seems like Spiller was mostly in the backfield alone when his number was called and that Miami was keying on him. Put Marshawn in there and fake to Spiller. This is why we brought Chan in, to really change things up isn't it? But maybe the playbook is too limited at this point of the season.

I thought Trent pulled himself together well for that touchdown drive and that was encouraging to see. His refusal to slide on scrambling plays should make an injury inevitable to those who wish him out. I thought his poise was better than last year but obviously results were the same.

It's easy to lump this game in with the last few years but I won't at this point. These first 4 games will be difficult and all may be brutal for the offense, we'll have to wait until at least mid season to assess where we are in terms of coaching and cohesiveness. Chan's already talking about simplifying the offensive playbook for Green Bay, that tells you our O-line is still trying to adjust to the new system.

I re-watched the game as well (even worse the 2nd time around), and I am surprised how many of you are criticizing the poor O-line play on passing downs. They weren't very good, but to tell the truth, I expected much worse. I was more disheartened by the lack of holes in the running game, but then again Miami did stack the line most plays. Also wish Chan would have just continued pounding the ball with the RBs, even for limited gain, I think he "out-thunk" himself with all those pass calls.

On most passing plays I thought the O-line provided a decent pocket for Trent to operate in. However, as someone else pointed out Miami really didn't bring that much pressure. Don't know whether to blame Trent or the play-calling, probably both, but that ball needs to get out of there faster. It was also really frustrating to see Trent run out of the pocket so many times instead of stepping up into the pocket.

I'm really concerned about Trent's confidence though, his passes looked hesitant and weak, not surprised so many of them were batted down and several of them should have been picked off for 6 the other way.

I re-watched the game as well (even worse the 2nd time around), and I am surprised how many of you are criticizing the poor O-line play on passing downs. They weren't very good, but to tell the truth, I expected much worse. I was more disheartened by the lack of holes in the running game, but then again Miami did stack the line most plays. Also wish Chan would have just continued pounding the ball with the RBs, even for limited gain, I think he "out-thunk" himself with all those pass calls.

On most passing plays I thought the O-line provided a decent pocket for Trent to operate in. However, as someone else pointed out Miami really didn't bring that much pressure. Don't know whether to blame Trent or the play-calling, probably both, but that ball needs to get out of there faster. It was also really frustrating to see Trent run out of the pocket so many times instead of stepping up into the pocket.

I'm really concerned about Trent's confidence though, his passes looked hesitant and weak, not surprised so many of them were batted down and several of them should have been picked off for 6 the other way.

Yea well go back and watch it again, then count out how many seconds pass after the balls is snapped until a defender is in Trents face

In the first two series which set the tempo of the game, 2x a defender came from the left side UNTOUCHED and hit Edwards full bore...

the first came in the first series on 3rd down for the first sack TWO seconds after the ball was snapped, defender came clean and hit Edwards from the blindside

the next came on a 3rd and 2 that Edwards completed for a first down, he was hit by a defender coming clean on the left after TWO SECONDS

Edwards was getting rid of the ball in those first two series by 2-3 seconds because he was forced to as a defender was in his face, the blocking was horrid in every aspect

Go back and watch the first 3 series, Edwards was under constant pressure ... PROTECTIONS SUCKED--- RUN BLOCKING SUCKED

In the 3rd series the Bill set up a screen and throw to Spiller....the announcer states he has a convoy ahead of him... to bad he was tackled instantly because nobody could make a block for him!

If you watched the game again, could you tell us what was on the graphic they showed where they showed a table with the number of sacks and hurries given up by the Bills. It was late-ish in the game. How many were there? I've forgotten the numbers, but I remember well that they were shockingly bad.

It was something like 2 sacks, 11 hurries, 4 knock-downs, and a couple of batted passes. And that was sometime around the end of the third quarter.

Yeah I heard ya right.... I just meant that my opinion differed from what 80% of everyone else was telling you and I hoped you could respect that. The Parrish pass was an easy throw but a good early read on the safety.

I'm hoping that at least the interior line will get their act together and allow for a pocket to step into in the coming weeks. It would be nice to see a little offense even though we'll surely lose the next 2...

Of course I respect your opinion and have for years. I do hope that he can get it together, and I plan on somehow watching this game on Sunday.