To those at the game...

Big Turk

This is the problem. He lacks the confidence to put the ball in small places which is what you have to do in the NFL. Guys aren't going to be 4-5 yards open, there are going to be small spaces (for brief moments) and Edwards has got to pull the trigger. He's going to safely play himself out of a career if he doesn't.

See I'm feeling the exact opposite almost. I think he wants to get rich via an NFL career but he recognizes that the only way he can get paid is if he can play. And if he stands in that "pocket" <giggle> and tries to complete passes downfield, he's not going to be playing for long.

Nobody's going to give a nice second contract to a guy who's recovering from serious surgery(s) because he got the beat shlt out of him trying to make plays. But they might give money to a guy who was in a bad situation but still has the kind of potential that me as a genius coach/GM can take advantage of.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why weren't you at the game? :(

There is no way I'm spending that kind of time or money on them until this team is either competitive or entertaining.

I'm not demanding both, either one might be enough to get me back North. But that combination of bad and ugly won't even keep me in front of a TV on Sundays, much less in a truck for 6-7 hours spending a couple hundred bucks.

no no no no no; i won't do it! :doh:

See I'm feeling the exact opposite almost. I think he wants to get rich via an NFL career but he recognizes that the only way he can get paid is if he can play. And if he stands in that "pocket" <giggle> and tries to complete passes downfield, he's not going to be playing for long.

Nobody's going to give a nice second contract to a guy who's recovering from serious surgery(s) because he got the beat shlt out of him trying to make plays. But they might give money to a guy who was in a bad situation but still has the kind of potential that me as a genius coach/GM can take advantage of.

Then for the sake of his health and future financial well-being, I think we should cut him. Win-win for everybody.. Then he can get his lucrative payday :rolleyes: and we can find someone that wants to throw the ball. Awesome.

There is no way I'm spending that kind of time or money on them until this team is either competitive or entertaining.

I'm not demanding both, either one might be enough to get me back North. But that combination of bad and ugly won't even keep me in front of a TV on Sundays, much less in a truck for 6-7 hours spending a couple hundred bucks.

no no no no no; i won't do it! :doh:

:nana:

I don't think I have ever seen a qb telegraph their throws more then Edwards did today....talk about gawking. Regardless if receivers were open it didn't matter cause he made no progressions. I had hopes after his preseason, but Trent is unfortunately....Trent.

Unbelievable, wasn't it??! I couldn't believe he connected on some of those. Miami D must have been snoozing.

What is so hard to understand? On running plays they got blown up. On passing plays even where there was decent protection, Trent drifted sideways instead of stepping up.

I don't think I saw "decent protection" 6 times today. I think it was atrocious and if he stepped up in any of the instances where you all wanted him to he would have gotten demolished by the pass rusher who was looping on the twist and regularly coming free. I do think that we've become so inured by bad offensive line play that when we see a craptacular effort like today's we just shrug and so "oh, that wasn't so bad, it was just like last week".

Then for the sake of his health and future financial well-being, I think we should cut him. Win-win for everybody.. Then he can get his lucrative payday :rolleyes: and we can find someone that wants to throw the ball. Awesome.

If you put some heedless hero back there that wants to throw the ball, he is in the hospital within a month.

If TE sits on the bench, who do we start? We don't have a Peyton Manning or Drew Brees on the bench to replace him. C'mon! Unfortunately, he is all we have a this point. Listen, you and everyone else need to understand that we are going to BLOW this year until we fix the O-line and get a QB in here to play football. Suck it up Sister!

Jeff Garceeeeeeeeeeeea.

I don't think I saw "decent protection" 6 times today. I think it was atrocious and if he stepped up in any of the instances where you all wanted him to he would have gotten demolished by the pass rusher who was looping on the twist and regularly coming free. I do think that we've become so inured by bad offensive line play that when we see a craptacular effort like today's we just shrug and so "oh, that wasn't so bad, it was just like last week".

If you put some heedless hero back there that wants to throw the ball, he is in the hospital within a month.

Meh. Oline troubles are independent of Edwards. He had plenty of opportunity today on many plays, especially later on (not so much early). Quite frankly, you have to wonder if his football sense IQ is a negative number. His decision to throw 2 yard passes on 3rd and ten come remarkably too easy. His willingness to burn precious seconds running around at the end of the game and his unwillingness to feel enough desperation to just throw the freakin' ball all point to a guy who isn't a ball player. He has no sense for the game.

And sooner or later, even if you do have a good oline, you are going to face pressure. If you make the playoffs, you will face pressure. This guy just isn't wired to deal with it.

I agree with the point made about him not trying to fit it in tight spaces. Also I was at the game and I came away not impressed but okay with the fact of bell being are lt (even though he would be a much more capable and better rt) the realy problem with the line was cornell green and merideth. Green was honestly pitiful and the right side collapsed almost every play. Was there seperation with recievers... yes but honestly if trent cant step up in the pocket it doesnt matter idk who was at the game but i was and I know for a fact that our line did a good job of making a pocket trent just never stepped up he does that stupid thing where he feels pressure and instead of looking to throw puts his head down and runs. Also where the fu** was CJ i understand he had 7 carries but where was he in the wildcat he is our most explosive player and needs to have the ball wayyyyy more if we want a chance at winning

Meh. Oline troubles are independent of Edwards. He had plenty of opportunity today on many plays, especially later on (not so much early). Quite frankly, you have to wonder if his football sense IQ is a negative number. His decision to throw 2 yard passes on 3rd and ten come remarkably too easy. His willingness to burn precious seconds running around at the end of the game and his unwillingness to feel enough desperation to just throw the freakin' ball all point to a guy who isn't a ball player. He has no sense for the game.

And sooner or later, even if you do have a good oline, you are going to face pressure. If you make the playoffs, you will face pressure. This guy just isn't wired to deal with it.

Agreed. I was there today, and just couldn't believe some of the decisions. Yes the O-line play wasn't good...but as was mentioned above, Trent doesn't want to throw it unless he sees a guy wide open. To answer the original thread question, there were definitely times when receivers were open, but a lot times Trent couldn't or wouldn't step into the throw or get his feet set.

Edited by Tommy

Yeah, they're totally independent of one another, but both problems exist. I just don't like to see folks trying to convince themselves or others that this as an acceptable level of play for an Offensive Line (i.e. saying he had plenty of opportunities on many plays; that's all relative but I completely disagree with it) and that if there was a good QB under center we'd be OK. We most certainly would not be anything close to resembling OK.

Now independent of the troubles up front, Edwards decision making is indeed flat out awful. Even factoring in that he's understandably unwilling to stand on on that bullseye where a pocket should be, his play in the instances you cite is just unacceptable, if not downright bizarre. While Edwards is not likely the answer at QB, drafting/signing/trading for another QB is not going to make a whit of difference until this teams adds at least 3-4 legitimate NFL players on the O-Line; that being 2 Tackles, a TE, probably a Center and maybe even an upgrade for a very average Levitre.

Bingo.

Yeah, they're totally independent of one another, but both problems exist. I just don't like to see folks trying to convince themselves or others that this as an acceptable level of play for an Offensive Line (i.e. saying he had plenty of opportunities on many plays; that's all relative but I completely disagree with it) and that if there was a good QB under center we'd be OK. We most certainly would not be anything close to resembling OK.

Now independent of the troubles up front, Edwards decision making is indeed flat out awful. Even factoring in that he's understandably unwilling to stand on on that bullseye where a pocket should be, his play in the instances you cite is just unacceptable, if not downright bizarre. While Edwards is not likely the answer at QB, drafting/signing/trading for another QB is not going to make a whit of difference until this teams adds at least 3-4 legitimate NFL players on the O-Line; that being 2 Tackles, a TE, probably a Center and maybe even an upgrade for a very average Levitre.

Right...Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlesberger would look just as bad as Edwards with this OLine. Keep believing that. I'm sure their Olines that allowed 50 sacks a piece last year(more than the Bills allowed combined for all the QBs) were sooo much better....

Edited by matter2003

Right...Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlesberger would look just as bad as Edwards with this OLine. Keep believing that. I'm sure their Olines that allowed 50 sacks a piece last year(more than the Bills allowed combined for all the QBs) were sooo much better....

Yeah, I'm comparing Edwards to two of the best QB's on the planet. <_<

And considering that both of those guys will hold the ball in a collapsing pocket until the sun sets and that a lot of those sacks came more than 5 seconds after the snap, I'd say yes, they were much better than the Bills, who will have the worst OLine in the NFL for the second year in a row.

Watch any other team in the NFL and if you have any idea what you're looking at you will instantly see the huge difference in how their OLine operates.