Simon

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well they had the chance....but 2 possessions in the last 90 seconds and we don't do anything better than a 7 yard pass over the middle with 4 seconds left..........ughhhhhhhh

Yeah, this is one of the most boneheaded coaching decisions I can remember. Does Gaily really think that he has a better chance of 1Holding the Phins to a 3 and out AND going 70-80 yards with no timeouts in 30 seconds to score a TD than he has to convert a 4th and 10? Just f'in pathetic.

Yeah, this is one of the most boneheaded coaching decisions I can remember. Does Gaily really think that he has a better chance of 1Holding the Phins to a 3 and out AND going 70-80 yards with no timeouts in 30 seconds to score a TD than he has to convert a 4th and 10? Just f'in pathetic.

Right, this is what people don't understand. Even for the worst offense in NFL history, the math favors going for it there compared to the alternatives. Even if you punt (which would've been terrible) that's better as you get basically the same field position but only down 3. Just criminally bad.

Great job by Buddy Nix. I man, who can argue with not bringing in an OL, with hiring Chan Gaily and with keeping Trentative? Who can argue with the brilliance?

So what could he have done that would have won his first game as the GM?

Yeah, this is one of the most boneheaded coaching decisions I can remember.

was it even worse letting this offense go for it on 4th/long instead of taking that FG that makes it a 1 score game with 5-6 minutes left?

What a horrifically effective work of art that game was.

Right, this is what people don't understand. Even for the worst offense in NFL history, the math favors going for it there compared to the alternatives. Even if you punt (which would've been terrible) that's better as you get basically the same field position but only down 3. Just criminally bad.

You're right, until you factor in Trent Edwards the math does favor going for it over the infinitesimal chance of a fluke play. Once you include that level of ineptitude, the odds favor giving the other team points.

God, do we suck. Trent Edwards looked like an NFL QB on 1 drive after that it was putrid. O-line is terrible. Defense did well as usual but cant expect to win games if we cant score points. Why could the Bills not spend a little bit and get a decent OT? Why are we not the team that ended up with Marshall and Dansby? I bet that would have turned this game around.

So what could he have done that would have won his first game as the GM?

was it even worse letting this offense go for it on 4th/long instead of taking that FG that makes it a 1 score game with 5-6 minutes left?

What a horrifically effective work of art that game was.

Yeah, that was another head scratcher but the percentages on that one were at least a little bit closer. The chances of hitting a 49 yard kick vs. the chances of converting that 4th down favor kicking the FG but not by the lopsided amount that taking an intentional safety and kicking the ball away do.

None-the-less your point is a good one. Throw in the horrible clock management at the end of the 1st half and Gaily's game day coaching is far from impressive.

Oh, I don't know. Used the WHOLE draft on the OL, bring in a FA QB like Garcia, and hired a coach who wasn't as timid and confused as Jauron, maybe?

and we still get beat but maybe by a different score and we still need another offseason before we can even think about being competitive. different route same result.

No matter what, the front office needed two years just to get their roster's nose above water.

Awful game. I think Trent should be benched, but that will get play all week on TBD.

The one comment I will make now that it's over is the move by Gaily to take the intentional safety and free kick. He has the talent he has. But that move was SMART. At least get out of the 1-inch line and put the entire game on the line with trent scrambling in his own end zone. Let your defense try to make a turnover OR stop the dolphins (which they did) and then hope for the best. It gave us the best chance to win - mind you it was a 2% chance, but better than the .000001% by going for it on 4th down there.

So, I take back what I said about that move.

Awful game. I think Trent should be benched, but that will get play all week on TBD.

The one comment I will make now that it's over is the move by Gaily to take the intentional safety and free kick. He has the talent he has. But that move was SMART. At least get out of the 1-inch line and put the entire game on the line with trent scrambling in his own end zone. Let your defense try to make a turnover OR stop the dolphins (which they did) and then hope for the best. It gave us the best chance to win - mind you it was a 2% chance, but better than the .000001% by going for it on 4th down there.

So, I take back what I said about that move.

You really think that it gave the team a better chance to win? Converting a 4th and 10 and having to move into FG range WITH 2 timeouts left and 90 seconds on the clock is less of a chance than holding the phins to 3 and out AND moving 70-80 yards in 30 seconds for a TD with NO timeouts?

I look at those two options and the percentages I come up with aren't even close. If the Bills were still down by only 3 then I might say you're right but by taking the safety Gaily made the Bills need a TD. Taking the safety was the worst move he could have made. Both punting and going for it were higher percentage moves.