Acceptable Jersey

tbonestake

Sunday is the opener and the lots at the Ralph will be flooded with jersey-clad Buffalo-maniacs! I figured this would be the perfect time to discuss this topic.

This has been a hotly debated issue since the advent of jersey sales. Please give me your opinion on what is an aceptable jersey to wear.

MY OPINION:

CAN WEAR

Obviously you can wear a jersey of a current player. You can wear a jersey of a legendary ex-player or something that has cache, i.e. my wife has a John Tucker jersey. Not exactly a Sabres legend but good enough to wear the jersey. A Don Beebe jersey is acceptable for the Bills as well.

CANNOT WEAR

Players who left in disgrace, i.e. NO MORE MCGAHEE JERSIES!!!!

Players on teams not playing. No McNABB JERSIES!!!! You deserve all the ridicule if you wear one and no one should defend you unless youre six years old.

Add in whatever you feel is acceptable/unacceptable!!! GO BILLS!!!!

Edited by tbonestake

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can wear: Anything Red White and Blue

Cannot wear: Anything Teal, Orange and White (why one would *want* to wear those colors in the first place is a whole different question...)

For the record, I'll be in the classic #34!

Edited by Heitz

Cannot wear: Anything Teal, Orange and White (why one would *want* to wear those colors in the first place is a whole different question...)

For a second I thought you were referring to the Bucs' creamsicle jerseys, which are all sorts of WIN. Love those jerseys!

I second the OP's original saying of banning the wearing of a jersey of a team not remotely involved in the game you are watching. It drives me freakin' nuts to see some idiot wearing a Anaheim Ducks jersey to a Sabres-Sens game. I mean...WTF?!?

Flutie jerseys are obviously fine. Fans have warm memories of that fiery little scrapper!

Current players are fine, former players are also mostly fine - just don't wear a jersey of a guy that was not loved by the fans when he left.

Spikes jersey is okay, Clements jersey is less okay, Fletcher is marginal.

Basically just don't wear Bledsoe, Losman, or McGahee jerseys.

Edited by Benjamin Barker

Flutie jerseys are obviously fine. Fans have warm memories of that fiery little scrapper!

Current players are fine, former players are also mostly fine - just don't wear a jersey of a guy that was not loved by the fans when he left.

Is my altered McGahee acceptable?:

post-6243-010126500 1284055375_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThePebble19

Well played :thumbsup:

CANNOT WEAR

Players on teams not playing.

It drives me freakin' nuts to see some idiot wearing a Anaheim Ducks jersey to a Sabres-Sens game.

I'm not sure I see why this is so terrible. Let's say you are visiting your friend in Charlotte and that he is a big Panthers fan. During your visit he drags you to a Panthers/49ers game of which neither team holds any interest for you at all but being an NFL fan you have no issue with going. By your rules are you saying it would be wrong to represent the Bills there anyway by throwing on a throwback Kelly?

To me it seems that flying your colors at an NFL game would be a good thing whether the Bills were playing or not.

I'm not sure I see why this is so terrible. Let's say you are visiting your friend in Charlotte and that he is a big Panthers fan. During your visit he drags you to a Panthers/49ers game of which neither team holds any interest for you at all but being an NFL fan you have no issue with going. By your rules are you saying it would be wrong to represent the Bills there anyway by throwing on a throwback Kelly?

To me it seems that flying your colors at an NFL game would be a good thing whether the Bills were playing or not.

I would think flying my colors to be ok...until I think about seeing a Marino jersey at the Bills/Chargers game, then you realize you just look like a douche.

I would think it more acceptable to rock a t-shirt, if I had to rep the colors, but the jersey is gameday ****. Just like it is unacceptable to wear an NFL jersey to a baseball game, or during an inactive period in the off-season...or not on gameday, it is inappropriate to rock your colors at a game where your team is not represented.

I am glad I would not run into this issue, because I have one allegiance on Sunday. If I am not at the Ralph, I am in the visiting stadium (colors flying) or in front of the tube.

I would think flying my colors to be ok...until I think about seeing a Marino jersey at the Bills/Chargers game, then you realize you just look like a douche.

I would think it more acceptable to rock a t-shirt, if I had to rep the colors, but the jersey is gameday ****. Just like it is unacceptable to wear an NFL jersey to a baseball game, or during an inactive period in the off-season...or not on gameday, it is inappropriate to rock your colors at a game where your team is not represented.

I am glad I would not run into this issue, because I have one allegiance on Sunday. If I am not at the Ralph, I am in the visiting stadium (colors flying) or in front of the tube.

I suppose I can accept that logic. Something subtle like a hat or t-shirt makes a little more sense than being totally decked out for a team that isn't even playing, and a jersey does kind of fall into the "decked out" category.

Now crossing sports... that is a completely different fashion foul. :thumbdown:

Yeah I was going to ask the same thing. Why not don my Sabres jersey at a Sharks-Blues matchup?

As far as your point on wearing an NFL jersey during the offseason: I'll bust one out on Draft Day or the first day of training camp, just to get myself pumped!

Can I get a ruling on an Antwain Smith jersey or Billy Brooks? Haha, not that I'll be at the game, just think it's funny I have Edwards throwback, Antwain Smith and Billy Brooks.

I say crazy props for preserving the Billy Brooks jersey! That is definitely acceptable. You may have to battle with a few wise-a$$ young fans who think you put your own name on it but as CSNY told us, "Teach your Children Well..."

Antowain Smith is a tough call. Props again for preserving it and he didn't leave here on bad terms from what I remember. I believe we cut him. Need confirmation on that but the fact remains that he went to the Pats and won a Super Bowl with them. I'm going to say :thumbdown: on the Antowain because of that. Go with the Billy Brooks :thumbsup:

***I would like to add that college jersies of current players are acceptable as well i.e. a Spiller Clemson jersey although it may be Purple and Orange. Just can't have too many and it has to be a relevant player***

Edited by tbonestake

I am torn between my classic #34 and my brand new Spiller white throwback. I'm leaning towards tailgating in the #34 and changing into the #21 for the game.

Is my altered McGahee acceptable?:

THAT IS AWESOME.

I will be looking for you there. You need to get a copy of the drivers license to tape to the front of that.

My 5 year old son has a mcgahee jersey. It was $10.00

I would say that there is an age-acceptable clause on what to wear - anyone under age, say, 10 is off limits when policing jersey wear.

Still, I should look into $10.00 Hardy or Crowell jerseys for him- he afterall Hardy just got cut, and Crowell just couldnt play anymore. not really any animosity with either one.