Peter King - Can't stand him

sharper802

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Truth be told -- I haven't read Peter King in the past two years. Sounds like I'm not missing much. However, I do miss SI's Dr. Z. Anyone know if he ever recovered from whatever it was that laid him low?

. Sounded pretty bad at the time. I honestly believe he was the best football writer we'll ever see in our lifetimes.

IDK he's on some video I have about the glory days and he's representing himself as a legit fan of the team and city/fans...I did not know he was from Boston. Oh well, we have Donald Trump, Meatloaf, 50 Cent, and Burman anyway...

Trump is friends with Kelly, Berman we all know about.......50 Cent and Meatloaf are Bills fans?........I thought we only had Timothy McVeigh and John Wayne Bobbitt.

Truth be told -- I haven't read Peter King in the past two years. Sounds like I'm not missing much. However, I do miss SI's Dr. Z. Anyone know if he ever recovered from whatever it was that laid him low?

. Sounded pretty bad at the time. I honestly believe he was the best football writer we'll ever see in our lifetimes.

No he hasn't recovered fully from what I think was two strokes. But if you read Peter King, he offers frequent updates and hosts numerous fundraisers to help combat the medical costs Dr. Z and his wife have been hit with. His columns are enjoyable as long as you don't expect to find in-depth coverage or breaking news. I think most of the hate in this thread stems from the fact he picked the Bills to go 2-14 and that he "loves Brady and Manning." I can deal with that...

Remember the year that in SI's NFL preview (like the one out this week), Dr. Z predicted all the playoff teams, as usual......And, the whole thing came true. That is unreal.

IDK he's on some video I have about the glory days and he's representing himself as a legit fan of the team and city/fans...I did not know he was from Boston. Oh well, we have Donald Trump, Meatloaf, 50 Cent, and Burman anyway...

He's from Connecticut, went to Miami U in Ohio, spent most of his SI life living in Montclair, NJ, and moved to Boston a year or two ago because he could. He's a passionate Red Sox fan, but he's not a passionate Pats fan (by any means). Never has been. He's always been pretty nice to the Bills -- nicer to them than they deserve, in retrospect. Bear in mind that he's very, very close to Dr. Z, who has always had a soft spot for the Bills.

When posters condemn people in strong terms, they should do a little homework beforehand. Everything King said in the piece was factually correct.

He's from Connecticut, went to Miami U in Ohio, spent most of his SI life living in Montclair, NJ, and moved to Boston a year or two ago because he could. He's a passionate Red Sox fan, but he's not a passionate Pats fan (by any means). Never has been. He's always been pretty nice to the Bills -- nicer to them than they deserve, in retrospect. Bear in mind that he's very, very close to Dr. Z, who has always had a soft spot for the Bills.

When posters condemn people in strong terms, they should do a little homework beforehand. Everything King said in the piece was factually correct.

based on what??? he spouts "talking head" drivel! i hate wasting time talking about him!.. really, as bill tobin said about mel kiper, "the guy next door to me cutting his lawn knows as much as mel kiper", exactly the way i feel about peter king!.. talk to the guy sitting next to you in a bar, or the guy checking out next to you in the grocery store, ask them their opinion..hardly think it would be less credible than peter king!

It's open that PK loves the sox. It's an open secret that he's a Pats fan and it's only a "secret" because he can't just declare his love for NE on NBC or NFL radio. Sorry Dave, but i don't know where you did your "homework" (king's bio page maybe?) but just because you say it doesn't make it so. I go by years of listening to him on Sirius and hearing the constant bias when talking about the Pats and Bellicheck. Maybe i'm just crazy and hearing things in my car almost every morning that arent actually coming through my speakers.

I don't read PK anymore because i could feel brain cells dying when i stared at his column. However, i did go to it today just to check the OP's claims and i will give PK this - he didn't give manning a "pass." To be fair he criticized both peyton and wayne.

If you want to know the extent of Peter King's football knowledge, read this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2000/01/26/ten_things/

"If I'm New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft, I have to say no to Bill Belichick now, hire Tom Donahoe to run the football side of business, and get on with my life. Because if I'm Bob Kraft, this is the thought process going through my mind today as the Jets stonewall my compensation offer for Belichick and refuse to budge from their demand of New England's first-round draft choice in April's draft: I am willing to give a man with a coaching record of 37-45 full authority over all my football operations by naming him coach and general manager. I am willing to pay him in excess of $3 million a year. And now I have to throw in my first-round pick? I'm already without my fourth-round pick this year, and I'm sure to lose a couple of valued players like Tedy Bruschi and Shawn Jefferson in free agency. Now I have to throw in the pick that could become Ron Dayne and may solve our dilemma at running back for the next five years? Maybe I wait a couple more days for the Jets to budge. Assuming they don't, I get on with my life."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2000/01/26/ten_things/

"If I'm New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft, I have to say no to Bill Belichick now, hire Tom Donahoe to run the football side of business, and get on with my life. Because if I'm Bob Kraft, this is the thought process going through my mind today as the Jets stonewall my compensation offer for Belichick and refuse to budge from their demand of New England's first-round draft choice in April's draft: I am willing to give a man with a coaching record of 37-45 full authority over all my football operations by naming him coach and general manager. I am willing to pay him in excess of $3 million a year. And now I have to throw in my first-round pick? I'm already without my fourth-round pick this year, and I'm sure to lose a couple of valued players like Tedy Bruschi and Shawn Jefferson in free agency. Now I have to throw in the pick that could become Ron Dayne and may solve our dilemma at running back for the next five years? Maybe I wait a couple more days for the Jets to budge. Assuming they don't, I get on with my life."

Damn, I wish Bob Kraft had listened to that big tub of goo.

Great find JR.

Ron Dayne....

:rolleyes:

Yeah, pretty tough to go back and look on things after the fact. PK isn't an owner or GM, he's a journalist. He writes his opinions, that's it. Who cares after that?

:rolleyes:

Yeah, pretty tough to go back and look on things after the fact. PK isn't an owner or GM, he's a journalist. He writes his opinions, that's it. Who cares after that?

Considering he's considered to be one of the "best" at his craft, you would think that his opinions are informed opinions and not just smoke coming out of his butt.

Considering he's considered to be one of the "best" at his craft, you would think that his opinions are informed opinions and not just smoke coming out of his butt.

I thought he actually showed some humility when he dogged himself repeatedly after NO won the Superbowl because he picked them real low in his preseason rankings. On the other hand, he acted like a real moron when Deadspin "probed" into some picture showing his daughter getting wasted at college. I thought that was a bush league move by him considering how much he has included his family in past columns. Can't have it both ways.

I thought he actually showed some humility when he dogged himself repeatedly after NO won the Superbowl because he picked them real low in his preseason rankings. On the other hand, he acted like a real moron when Deadspin "probed" into some picture showing his daughter getting wasted at college. I thought that was a bush league move by him considering how much he has included his family in past columns. Can't have it both ways.

I haven't read Peter King in a couple of years, mostly because I didn't think I was getting anything I couldn't get elsewhere. That's just me, tho.

It's open that PK loves the sox. It's an open secret that he's a Pats fan and it's only a "secret" because he can't just declare his love for NE on NBC or NFL radio. Sorry Dave, but i don't know where you did your "homework" (king's bio page maybe?) but just because you say it doesn't make it so. I go by years of listening to him on Sirius and hearing the constant bias when talking about the Pats and Bellicheck. Maybe i'm just crazy and hearing things in my car almost every morning that arent actually coming through my speakers.

I don't read PK anymore because i could feel brain cells dying when i stared at his column. However, i did go to it today just to check the OP's claims and i will give PK this - he didn't give manning a "pass." To be fair he criticized both peyton and wayne.

You should definitely stay away from his column in that case....

I haven't read Peter King in a couple of years, mostly because I didn't think I was getting anything I couldn't get elsewhere. That's just me, tho.

Very true, like I said he's not the guy for breaking news or in-depth info.

Informed or not, they are opinions. The best GM's in the league with the best recruiters make mistakes all the time in the draft. Owners who have been doing this for years make mistakes with GM's. Peter King writes articles and doesn't get everything right...GASP!!! Get over it.