Could the signing of Urbik lead to the groming of Wood as LT??????

Lenigmusx

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, just found the release at buffalobills.com

Urbik? A guy inactive for all 16 games who then got cut by a team that needs interior linemen? I wouldn't plan to make him an instant starter.

Martin's not an All-Pro but he's an upgrade. And Bell and Roosevelt are on the PS, which is good news.

Thanks. I must be getting blind.

IMO, Urbik was signed because the Bills only had one backup guard going into today. I don't see him as a starter just as a backup with potential. If he becomes starter quality by next year then the Bills can move Wood to center and put Hangartner as a backup or cut him altogether. I think going into today with one backup guard was planned in order to see who would be cut.

Hey everyone remember Will Wolford! Could the signing of Urbik lead to eventually moving Eric Wood to Left tackle as our strongest lineman. I think this could really bolster the line down the road. Thoughts?

First question, who is Urbik, other then an OG who got cut from another NFL team? You are suggesting this guy is already good enough to step in for Wood, so Wood can start getting "groomed" for LT? I thought Bell was our franchise LT, according to Nix and Gailey. If anything, Wood should replace Green at RT, if he is moved to OT at all. And oh by the way, in my humble opinion, Wood should already be our franchise center, and we should have already signed a quality free agent guard or drafted one this past draft, to replace Wood at guard, and Hangartner should be planted firmly on the bench as a good C-G back up. So as far as moving Wood out to tackle, I cannot imagine that ever happening.

There are days when you really wonder what's in some of the water that is filling the glasses around here.

He is strictly a guard/center and a very good guard already. The potential is there for him to become a good center too.

We need to take a collective deep breath on the LT issue because Bell is the man and based on preseason play there were no awkward penalties nor signs of 'below average' play much less poor play from Bell. No, he is not a Pro-Bowl calibar LT right now but he is also much better than the majority on this board want to give him credit for.

Let's see how he plays against the FINS and PACKERS before we start screaming about our LT needs. Now on the other side of the line ... RT appears to be the weak link ...

If people would just list to what Chan is saying he gives you the answer in his words most of the time...one of the things I really like about him.....

He was VERY unhappy with how the 2nd unit played in that last preseason game.....and made mention of it in his press conference.......

I think this is nothing more then a attempt to get a quality backup should we have a interior linemen go down...what you want is as little musical chairs as possible when it comes to line....

For instance.....Bell god forbid goes down....Levitre has played LT for us and done well in the past....you can plug the new guy in right there and keep every one where they are at...and so on and so on

Wil Wolford was an Offensive Tackle at Vanderbilt and played the same position with the Bills.. Later in his career he played Guard for the Steelers... A much easier transition than Guard to Tackle..

Actually Will Wolford Started his first season at right guard before he moved to LT and he replaced Ken Jones. They used the guard position to get him expierence before moving him to the most difficult position on the o-line. I know he was a tackle in college, I remember when we drafted him.

There are days when you really wonder what's in some of the water that is filling the glasses around here.

He is strictly a guard/center and a very good guard already. The potential is there for him to become a good center too.

We need to take a collective deep breath on the LT issue because Bell is the man and based on preseason play there were no awkward penalties nor signs of 'below average' play much less poor play from Bell. No, he is not a Pro-Bowl calibar LT right now but he is also much better than the majority on this board want to give him credit for.

Let's see how he plays against the FINS and PACKERS before we start screaming about our LT needs. Now on the other side of the line ... RT appears to be the weak link ...

Maybe with Urbik we will move Leivtre to right tackle since he already has some tackle experience.

1. Hangartner is not "awful" at C. He's at least average.

2. Wood is an above-average RG, and RG is a more important position on the line than C. The Wood to C talk is not logical.

I think it is debatable which position is "more important". But there are far more very good guards than their are very good centers. I don't necessarily see the Bills forcing Woods move to center this year, but I think he will eventually end up there.

Hey everyone remember Will Wolford! Could the signing of Urbik lead to eventually moving Eric Wood to Left tackle as our strongest lineman. I think this could really bolster the line down the road. Thoughts?

Um, no.

Wood doesn't have the skill set to be an LT. Could develop into an excellent interior OL, though, if he keeps improving.

Dude, get realistic.

We have huge LT needs. You wanna deny it, fine, but people are right to be screaming about it. Bell is the man because we haven't got anyone who can play at a respectable level.

I know everyone says he is an interior guy but he is the best athelete on the line. To me ( and I might be high on fumes as I have been Dry-locking my basement all weekend) Wood has alot in common with Will Wolford. The only draw back I see is if his leg injury has decreased his lateral movement. I think his instincts alone would make him a great LT. I know Leivtre did it last year but I think Wood would be far better because of his athleticism and strength. Just a thought.

Wood is the best player on the line, not the best athlete.

Whether or not Urbik developed enough to stay on the Steelers roster, he has talent. There was some discussion of him going in the 2nd round last year and he went in the 3rd. I think the Bills brought him in to upgrade their talent and depth and he does that.

If Bell falters, I have to believe they'll kick out Levitre and draft an OT next year.