Could the signing of Urbik lead to the groming of Wood as LT??????

Lenigmusx

I think it is debatable which position is "more important". But there are far more very good guards than their are very good centers. I don't necessarily see the Bills forcing Woods move to center this year, but I think he will eventually end up there.

The C's responsibilities are limited, physically. Most important is the ability to read the defense and make line calls. The RG has much more in the way of physical responsibility, and you want the better athlete (i.e., brawler) there.

That's how I see it, anyway, and I think Hangartner is at least adequate at C. Moving Wood to C doesn't result in a significant upgrade at the position, and makes the right side of the line much weaker.

I say all of this with a disclaimer that I do not claim to be a coach or expert at evaluating OL personnel.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The C's responsibilities are limited, physically. Most important is the ability to read the defense and make line calls. The RG has much more in the way of physical responsibility, and you want the better athlete (i.e., brawler) there.

That's how I see it, anyway, and I think Hangartner is at least adequate at C. Moving Wood to C doesn't result in a significant upgrade at the position, and makes the right side of the line much weaker.

I say all of this with a disclaimer that I do not claim to be a coach or expert at evaluating OL personnel.

I share your disclaimer. :lol:

While Center may be least physically demanding of the OL spots, it is more physically demanding on teams facing 3-4 defenses with big NTs. It is also, as you note, the most mentally demanding of the OL positions.

It seems to me, great teams (particularly those with some long-term success) tend to be anchored by great centers. And Center isn't the kind of job you typically want to give to a rookie. That leads me to believe that it is quite important to get a very good center established and keep him there. So, while I don't think they will rush him into the job, I think Wood finds his way to center and stays there. Guards can be filled with FAs, rookies, aging vets, etc. But I think you want your Center to be there game in, game out and year in, year out.

Just IMO, of course.

Urbik played both Tackle and Guard at Wisconsin. He started 13 games at ROT as a Freshman in 2005. He moved inside to G after that, except for 3 games in 2007 when he kicked back out to ROT. He went back to G in 2008.

He's got a lot of versatility. He'll help with the OL depth, but he was cut, so you can't pencil him in as a future starter. I like that he could be looked at as a ROT.

It would be nuts to start shuffling your starting line the week before the season begins and Gailey ain't nuts. Wood will be in the guard position and Urbik will be on the bench (which is good news to me...the depth of the line's been worrisome). He's in Buffalo to back up. Later in the season, who knows?