Could the signing of Urbik lead to the groming of Wood as LT??????

Lenigmusx

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know about that. It does give them some flexibility if one of our LTs goes down or does not perform and allows us to put Levitre at LT as we were forced to do last year. All in all, I thought Levitre did ok at tackle.

very unlikely. i've often wondered about Wood at LT, but the consensus is he's an interior guy.

jw

I know everyone says he is an interior guy but he is the best athelete on the line. To me ( and I might be high on fumes as I have been Dry-locking my basement all weekend) Wood has alot in common with Will Wolford. The only draw back I see is if his leg injury has decreased his lateral movement. I think his instincts alone would make him a great LT. I know Leivtre did it last year but I think Wood would be far better because of his athleticism and strength. Just a thought.

OK, just found the release at buffalobills.com

Urbik? A guy inactive for all 16 games who then got cut by a team that needs interior linemen? I wouldn't plan to make him an instant starter.

Martin's not an All-Pro but he's an upgrade. And Bell and Roosevelt are on the PS, which is good news.

Here is who he is and we signed him off of waivers today.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kraig-urbik?id=71495

Thanks. I must be getting blind.

I know everyone says he is an interior guy but he is the best athelete on the line. To me ( and I might be high on fumes as I have been Dry-locking my basement all weekend) Wood has alot in common with Will Wolford. The only draw back I see is if his leg injury has decreased his lateral movement. I think his instincts alone would make him a great LT. I know Leivtre did it last year but I think Wood would be far better because of his athleticism and strength. Just a thought.

You are way high. Wood is an OG/C. Period. Bell is the LT and will be the LT if he continues to improve. Hasn't looked bad at all this preseason.

Hey everyone remember Will Wolford! Could the signing of Urbik lead to eventually moving Eric Wood to Left tackle as our strongest lineman. I think this could really bolster the line down the road. Thoughts?

I'm hoping we draft Urbik's fellow Badger for that role (LT, that is)...

Gabe Carmini - profile

Carmini scout report

Edited by The Senator

Hey everyone remember Will Wolford! Could the signing of Urbik lead to eventually moving Eric Wood to Left tackle as our strongest lineman. I think this could really bolster the line down the road. Thoughts?

If Wood was to move to another position, it would be center, Hangartner is a back up at best.. Not to mention I still don't believe Wood's leg is really healed 100%.. I'm happy just to have him on the field in the guard spot for now.. Also the Steelers aren't as strong on the o-line as they once were, I'm not sold on this pick-up as an automatic starter.. There has to be a reason Pittsburgh released him..

From Behind the Steel Curtain

One of the reasons Hartwig and his $2 million price tag are/were deemed expendable was the maturation and versatility of second-year lineman Kraig Urbik. It was said he improved a bit over his rookie season, and had the ability to play both guard positions, and even spent some time at center.

But it seems as if Urbik may be on the Turk’s agenda of players to visit this afternoon as well.

If true, it shows how much faith the team has in other young linemen, like Tony Hills, Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster. Or, at the very least, it shows the premium the Steeles (and other teams) place on versatility.

Again, if this is what happens, the Steelers are likely going with nine lineman – (T) Max Starks, Flozell Adams, Jonathan Scott, Hills, (G) Chris Kemoeatu, Trai Essex, Ramon Foster, © Pouncey and Legursky.

Legursky’s versatility is what would lead the team to release Urbik, the 2009 third-round draft pick out of Wisconsin. While Urbik played center on the second team for minicamp and part of training camp, Legursky’s quickness has kept coaches’ eyes on his ability as a lead blocking fullback.

Wil Wolford was an Offensive Tackle at Vanderbilt and played the same position with the Bills.. Later in his career he played Guard for the Steelers... A much easier transition than Guard to Tackle..